Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Don
£75m on VVD just keeps getting cheaper. If Utd end up paying north of £70m on Maguire then their first choice back 4 would have cost around £180-200m and still be some way behind ours which cost a shade over £85m.

Man of Honour
Is Maguire even that good, I know he’s solid and all, but is he the standout centreback that’s available...

Soldato
£75m on VVD just keeps getting cheaper. If Utd end up paying north of £70m on Maguire then their first choice back 4 would have cost around £180-200m and still be some way behind ours which cost a shade over £85m.
Yup and imo have the best defence in the league :) when you factor in our attacking stats from our full backs compared to other teams

Soldato
Is Maguire even that good, I know he’s solid and all, but is he the standout centreback that’s available...

I support Leicester and I don't want him to leave not just yet, Maguire is a good solid defender, and has a sweet touch in front of goal, but he still has a lot to learn.

It doesn't help that the amounts of money being offered for players now has gone stupid crazy.

But I do think it's a good stance from Leicester, Maguire has 4 years left on his contract, so they can set any ridiculous price they want for him.

I think £86m would land the defender ;)

Soldato
70 million for Maguire :(

That's insane money. He's solid, but no more. The rumours that he can pass out of defence are simply incorrect, he gives the ball away remarkably frequently. Sure, he's useful in the opponents' box but that doesn't make you a £70m defender any more than Heskey's abilities defensively made him a £20m striker.

Soldato
Why did spurs sell dembele to then only go out and break clubs transfer record to sign the same player mk2?
Demebele had a chronic condition that meant he could only play at PL pace with lots of injections. He left to play in an easier league for a lot of £££.

New Dembele looks really exciting. Getting in Lo Celso and one other midfielder and we will be looking in good shape. Still don't want to lose Eriksen, but if we do need to lose him, getting 3 new prospects helps soften the blow.

Caporegime

This is a silly argument. If players are considered good then have a price tag to compliment it. AWB for example was fantastic last season and we are desperate for a RB. Hence the price. Even still if we end up with a back four of Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire and AWB. I am not going to complain. With Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Dalot as back up there is certainly a lot of depth in our defence again. If Dave can get his act together and back to his world number 1 best it is going to be an enjoyable season.

Soldato
This is a silly argument. If players are considered good then have a price tag to compliment it. AWB for example was fantastic last season and we are desperate for a RB. Hence the price. Even still if we end up with a back four of Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire and AWB. I am not going to complain. With Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Dalot as back up there is certainly a lot of depth in our defence again. If Dave can get his act together and back to his world number 1 best it is going to be an enjoyable season.

Not at all, his argument was not that you shouldn't make the signing, just that Liverpool's defence is a bargain compared to Utd's, which it is. Equally, you could argue that your keeper was a bargain compared to Alisson. That doesn't make Alisson a bad signing - far from it, he was a massive part of our CL win and worth every penny - but DDG was still a bargain in comparison.

Don
What's silly about my arguement? I was commenting on how well Liverpool have done relative to others. Utd and City could end up with back 4's costing well over twice ours and yet we'll have the best back 4 in the league, if not Europe. The work Liverpool have done in the transfer market has been outstanding for a number of years and it's not that surprising to me the talk that we won't be overly active this summer. We're seeing with the deals that have been done and the money being asked for, for not the greatest players that this is very much a sellers market this year.

Caporegime
OP
Who the hell is this brazilian striker arsenal have signed
Another cheap "promising" player from far away, who'll end up spending 3-5 years on loan to some crappy la liga side, with people saying every summer that this will be his year. then finally, he'll disappear off back to Brazil on a free in 5 years or so when everyone finally realises that he was never that good anyway. Don't you remember Wellington Silva?

Spurs are at the beginnings of paying back all their stadium loans while we paid ours off ages ago, and they've still got more money than us to spend.

So depressing being an Arsenal fan at times

Last edited:
Soldato
What's silly about my arguement? I was commenting on how well Liverpool have done relative to others. Utd and City could end up with back 4's costing well over twice ours and yet we'll have the best back 4 in the league, if not Europe. The work Liverpool have done in the transfer market has been outstanding for a number of years and it's not that surprising to me the talk that we won't be overly active this summer. We're seeing with the deals that have been done and the money being asked for, for not the greatest players that this is very much a sellers market this year.

Once you have won the league for the 1st time in 30 years other clubs will start charging you more £££ for every transfer :)

Once you win the league multiple times in quick succession fees will go up even higher (unfortunately however this doesn't work in reverse)

2-3 years ago you certainly had better scouts than Utd, and possibly City which also makes it easier to negotiate as you see any particular player a year or two earlier - and having a transfer policy in place also helps

Football men organising the transfers - who would have thought of that!!! Rather than money men looking for the next Galactico

Maguire isn't worth anything close to 70-80m - but saying that, as he will improve Utd' s back four immeasurably it would be 80m well spent (as KK and MDL aren't /were never real options once CL wasn't on the cards, and Utd need experience right now - and for some reason all TA rumours have died down which Im kind of glad about).

Still think it would be daylight robbery however.

IF Liverpool (or Arsenal - supposedly Spurs where interested but backed out early) had been in for AWB this season , and Utd hadn't been, Im sure Palace would have been easier to deal with and asked for significantly less money. - because Utd are still the most successful English team since the money really started pouring in, every negotiation starts at a different level irrespective of whether clubs have caught up financially or not in the last few years while Utd's successes have massively slowed down.

Don
Well you've not won the League or CL for ages and you're still paying crazy fees so that's clearly not the reason. The reason is because Utd have set a precedent for paying stupid fees, they're now having to repeat that. It's no different with the contracts you're handing out to average players. Utd pay OTT because they've continuously made stupid decisions over the past 5-6 years.

And you're being ridiculous again Frank with that stuff about Palace had Liverpool been in for him. As I tell you again and again, the selling club will push for as much money as they think they will get. Palace would have pushed for every penny they could have got whether it be Utd, Liverpool or Dundee Utd - if they would have successfully got more from Utd than Liverpool it would have been because Utd were willing to pay more, not because of anything Palace done.

Back
Top Bottom