• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

OcUK Staff
I can't possibly check everything... I did a crazy amount of testing of these cpus on new boards and some on old... But not on every board did I test everything....

All I tested on ch7 was stock and one OC setting both had perf. issues so I reported and was sent a beta bios that I have not tried yet.

Associate
I can't possibly check everything... I did a crazy amount of testing of these cpus on new boards and some on old... But not on every board did I test everything....

All I tested on ch7 was stock and one OC setting both had perf. issues so I reported and was sent a beta bios that I have not tried yet.
That is fine, thanks man.

Soldato
I was going to get the MSI B450 Pro Carbon but if for a bit more i can find an X470 i'll do that.

Make sure you update to the latest BIOS, in order to not suffer from 'efficiency' issues. :)

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B85v17M.zip

2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
- Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
- Change BIOS UI to GSE-Lite mode.

Caporegime
Oh its always the first thing i do ^^^^ :)

On this gen as a whole overclocking headroom is limited on core.

I don't understand, i never did expect a lot of overclocking head room, CPU's these days seem to be pushed near the limits with only 1 or 2 of the cores boosting high, if Ryzen 2000 is anything to go by you're lucky to get the maximum single core boost on all cores by overclocking, is that what you're talking about?

OcUK Staff
Oh its always the first thing i do ^^^^ :)

I don't understand, i never did expect a lot of overclocking head room, CPU's these days seem to be pushed near the limits with only 1 or 2 of the cores boosting high, if Ryzen 2000 is anything to go by you're lucky to get the maximum single core boost on all cores by overclocking, is that what you're talking about?
Yes.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
dzbx9fdkxv731.png

Update v1.1 (2019-07-02): Made a fair few changes with this revision, including:

• By popular request, the form factor column has been added.

• By popular request, Biostar's boards have been added. I would still not recommend getting them, but the information's there for your viewing pleasure.

• Phase doubling is now denoted by an asterisk instead of a plus to avoid confusion with the standardised x+y naming scheme for VRMs that denotes [primary rail] + [secondary rail] phases. So a doubled six phase is now denoted as 6 * 2 instead of 6 + 6.

• Changing some of MSI's slightly better B350/X370 designs to be okay for 100A. I think I was a bit too conservative there, the MOSFETs are bad, but they're not that bad.

• All of the garbo tier boards (e.g. ASUS B450M-E) have had their 100A ratings changed to 'needs airflow'.

• I've changed all of the 6 x IR3553 ATX designs to 'needs airflow' for 200A instead of not being recommended, but keep in mind the VRM will be generating approx. 36W of heat at 200A so you really do need a fan directly on that, and I'd also consider not OCing as heavily on those designs for a 3950X.

• All older mITX designs have had their 200A ratings changed to 'not recommended' (sorry MSI B450I lovers), I stumbled on this Optimum Tech video that really made me re-consider my mITX ratings.

• Shuffled some names around for easier readability and other minor formatting changes.

Associate
Getting to the point where a high end rig is almost 500quid per part... 500 quid GPU at a push , 500quid CPU , 500 quid mobos , 1500 quid now before we even get to the sub systems parts. I could care less about pricing upto a point but wow... It even brings a tear to my wallet

Soldato
Getting to the point where a high end rig is almost 500quid per part... 500 quid GPU at a push , 500quid CPU , 500 quid mobos , 1500 quid now before we even get to the sub systems parts. I could care less about pricing upto a point but wow... It even brings a tear to my wallet

How much is a 2080 now?

Associate
I found PBO pushes the volts to scary levels of 1.45-1.55 sometimes so i dialed in a perma OC on all cores of 4.35 @1.45 and it stays like that most of the time.

Personally would much rather have the 1.55 running though it for as few moments than a constant 1.45. on the flip side of this, 1.4v has been pretty much a rough max end for air /AIO for a long time now , why ? I'm not an electrical engineer so have no clue but surely there's more to be said for voltage with each different arch and it's not as simple as 1.4 1.5 1.6v for example is maximum safe limit. Does voltage literally scale with temps ?

Caporegime

Well, do you need a 12 core CPU? if all you do is game and some lite productivity stuff the 3600/3700 is more than enough.

CPU's at the high end always have been expensive but nothing like as expensive per core as they used to be, 3 years ago a 10 core CPU would have set you back £1600, now you can get a 12 core for £500, i think that's a huge development.

Back
Top Bottom