Carpet

Soldato
Thinking of getting 11mm for when we do ours and even though I worked in the industry, nobody ever asked for it so I'm not sure what grippers would be suitable.

Medium pin works for 8mm and 10mm but 11mm might be pushing it so maybe long pin grippers? Or would they be too long and pierce the carpet?

Soldato
I think I'll settle on the 9mm and I think we're going for the wolltec by kingsmead. It is man made but has all the qualities of wool plus it is bleach cleanable. £17.49/sqm seems reasonable for what seems to suit our requirements (well wearing & cleanable).

Soldato
So, we ended up going into Carpetright today and after walking around for 30 minutes we absolutely fell in love with this one - https://www.carpetright.co.uk/carpets/super-sublime-carpet

It was so thick and luxurious and was stupidly soft, but at £32.99 m2 I'm simply not prepared to pay that much. Anyone got any ideas on where it could be found cheaper? A quick Google hasn't returned much for us.

Thanks,

Andy

Soldato
I would suggest going to housing developers showhomes and seeing what they have on their samples. Make a note of the name.

The company I used to work for (Designer Contracts) supplied and fitted for most developers nationwide. You can go direct to them and prices should include fitting and prep. Generally they are better than CarpetRight.
I am loathe to put more money into the owner's pockets as the the staff aren't paid that well but its likely that I will give them a shout first (although I would do my own planning as that was my job).
Your local region would be around Brentwood IIRC.

Soldato
I'm looking to re-carpet the stairs and the landing and also two bedrooms. The house was last re-carpeted in Nov 2016 when the owners renovated but its not to my taste so im wanting to change it.
I'm assuming i can reuse the underlay?

What sort of spec of carpet should I be looking for the stairs and landing? Landing is just a long rectangle.

Likewise for the two bedrooms (one bedroom for a 12yr old and the other will be guest bedroom). The bedrooms are just rectangular in size.

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't need to get new underlay just because you are getting a new carpet. Unless they are chucking it in for free + better quality than what you have for free.

Soldato
Yeah, replace underlay if the current one is crap, otherwise no need. As for carpet, you get what you pay for. We got a really thick decent carpet throughout, one that would last. Over a year now and it still looks as good as new. It cleans easily from spillage and we find visitors often remark how bouncy and nice it is underfoot. It depends on I your budget really?

We did consider the whole buying the carpet separate and getting a fitter to fit after, route. However, considering the extra effort of having to measure exactly, order the carpet, deal with the delivery of said carpet (don't forget, it's probably going to come in one huge piece) and then getting some poor bloke to come and deal with that for you. We figured the marginal extra outlay to just have a local independent fitter do the lot was just simpler and piece of mind should there be an issue (he ain't bothered if your cheap roll ordered online by yourself happens to have a fault in it).

Associate
We got our new build carpeted separately using Cormar carpets. We went for arctic grey Sensation (58 oz/yd2, £16 per m2) in the bedrooms and living room, and got Avebury Stripe 100% wool loop pile (£27 per m2) for the stairs and landing. The wool loop pile is really hard wearing and looks as good as new 4 years later. The good thing about the Sensation carpet is that you can use bleach on it so can clean up any stains quite easily.

For underlay, we opted for Cloud 9 11mm. It makes all of the carpets feel lovely and soft, and also helps with impact sound transmission from upstairs.

Our carpet fitter came in to measure up beforehand and told us the lengths to order. We bought carpet and underlay from Flooring Megastore, who were great because they cut the carpets to the lengths that the carpet fitter requested. They were also the cheapest that we found at the time.

The carpet fitter was quite reasonable I thought. He charged us £2.50 a square metre plus a £40 stair charge.

Associate
So, we ended up going into Carpetright today and after walking around for 30 minutes we absolutely fell in love with this one - https://www.carpetright.co.uk/carpets/super-sublime-carpet

It was so thick and luxurious and was stupidly soft, but at £32.99 m2 I'm simply not prepared to pay that much. Anyone got any ideas on where it could be found cheaper? A quick Google hasn't returned much for us.

Thanks,

Andy

Can't really help you with that one, but i've had this in our living room for a year and i love it. Every time i go in there i feel like rolling all over it. It's got cloud 9 super contract underlay under it.

Soldato
So I know diddly-squat about carpets. Just had local shop measure up for our bedrooms - about 65sqm. Two young children and a dog - what is the best material to go for, as it needs to be hard wearing with poo/wee easily removed.

Polypropylene? and then replace it in 5 years when the youngsters can use a toilet responsibly? :)

Soldato
Yeah the man made carpets can be cleaned. Like @Fuzzb3k, I had a Cormar carpet installed, although the Primo Plus was my preferred option in Cloudy Bay. Get yourself down your shop and find a colour and texture/weave your like that fits your budget.

Caporegime
Bump.

Great thread and thanks for the tips above. This is probably due a refresh...or is the above still applicable, i.e. get cloud 9 from eBay, carpet from the cheapest place, and pay a local fitter?

Couple of other questions...

Is it ok to have 11mm underlay on the stairs, or will this cause fitting challenges?

How do I find decent local fitters, in the absence of recommendations?

Thanks.

Caporegime
Thanks for that, will check it out.

Does anyone know who makes John Lewis's 80 wool blend carpets? And what the manufacturer range is called?

We've found a shade at John that we like (Tarn Mist), but I want to buy it myself to save cash per the above advice.

Thinking it's probably Cormar, but can't confirm the Cormar equivalent of Tarn Mist.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom