• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Soldato
Yet based on those screenshots it still looks better than the one in Control. Control with RTX off looks dated compared to other non RTX games.

Soldato
I had that problem that it wasn't available for the game I was playing, but for every game.i then updated the experience and all my games work now, some places say you need to enable it in experimental options.

Ok thanks, I havent messed about with it much yet. Mainly just been on overwatch.

Seems like this downscaling and sharpening is something essential for 4k gaming, especially with me only on a gtx 1080.

I will update the nvidia experience and see if it's helps. I had the card for ages but have never used nvidia experience until couple of days ago so it's all new to me.

Associate
OP
Look at the barrel in the Quantum Break screenshot compared to the one in the Control screenshot (RTX off). The one in quantum break has far more contrasting shadows.

Quantum_Break_time_blast.jpg

Quantum_Break_time_blast.jpg

control-gamescom-2019-ray-tracing-screenshot-001-off.jpg

I have an RTX 2080 and when playing Control with RTX off I was truly gobsmacked at how flat and dated it looked. Then I realised it looks like they have gimped the RTX off to make RTX on look better. Classic Nividia trick and they used to do the same with PhysX.

nonsense

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-control-pc-a-vision-for-next-gen-rendering

that video explains very well how even without RTX the games effects have not been gimped as you say

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Have to say, after playing Control with the fancy effects I wouldn't want to go back to a non-raytracing card. It might take a few more gens to get to a point where the performance hit isn't as devastating, but the graphical uplift is totally worth it.

Caporegime
Have to say, after playing Control with the fancy effects I wouldn't want to go back to a non-raytracing card. It might take a few more gens to get to a point where the performance hit isn't as devastating, but the graphical uplift is totally worth it.
Agreed. I have sunk a fair few hours into Control and it is superb. RT really does make it shine and great job Remedy.

Soldato
nonsense

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-control-pc-a-vision-for-next-gen-rendering

that video explains very well how even without RTX the games effects have not been gimped as you say

They did it in Battlefield and it's pretty well known . Turning RTX off also turned off some regular shadows and reflections to make it look better than it was. You can re-enable them with ini tweaks and console commands.

So I wouldn't put it past them. Nvidia is quite well known for dodgy business practices like this. They short changed people on vram with the 970, have been caught gimping performance on old cards a few times, lied about the 20 series space invaders thing, lied about not their cards not supporting adaptivesync (suddenly now they do with gsync on it's dead bed).

Last edited:
Associate
It really does look gorgeous and I would have loved to gone with ray traced this generation. but the performance just wasn't there in my price bracket... £350, for 60hz ultra just isn't a thing. I mean, can the 2080 / 2070S even do it with all RTX games? and that's £500 - £600.....

if only the 2060S could have handled 60hz 1080 Ultra.....

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It really does look gorgeous and I would have loved to gone with ray traced this generation. but the performance just wasn't there in my price bracket... £350, for 60hz ultra just isn't a thing. I mean, can the 2080 / 2070S even do it with all RTX games? and that's £500 - £600.....

if only the 2060S could have handled 60hz 1080 Ultra.....
Don’t worry mate, there is a good chance that in the next 6-9 months the 3000 series will be out that will deliver what you want. Not long now :)

Back
Top Bottom