• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Yeah I did have another thread seeing if there was anybody in the Cambridge area that would let me drop the chip in their system (just in case I'm doing something stupidly bonkers) but I had no takers ;)

I did ask OcUK if they could test but they said they couldn't due to "liability" issues (I didn't buy it from them), understandable.

Soldato
Sure, that's what I thought you were asking, whether it just displayed Q-Code 90 and nothing else. I was just showing that pulling the memory gave a different Q-Code (16).

I'll try pulling the only PCI-E device (GFX card) and report back.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, if I remove different components it get stuck on something other than 90, e.g. if I pull all the memory it gets stuck on Q-Code 16.

In regards to flashback I'd try that if it was just one board (in fact the original board is in the process of being RMAd as it won't flashback) but I'v had the same error code (90) on two brand new MOBOs:

1 x Taichi x 399
1 x Aorus X399

I'm really leaning towards that the CPU could be knackered (it's a OEM chip so no warranty, hence why I'm trying everything to get it working).

Thanks all for your suggestions as I'm really left "scratching my head".

Try flashback anyway as mine was a lot like this, try with an old BIOS and a new one as it sends microcode to the CPU during update.

Associate
I'm really leaning towards that the CPU could be knackered (it's a OEM chip so no warranty, hence why I'm trying everything to get it working).

Warranty is irrelevant, that’s only a time period where a supplier will give you a relatively no quibble replacement. What matters is the law of the land, and you appear to be in the UK so you are protected by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

It looks like you have made significant efforts to rule out other components being at fault therefore it is reasonable to assume that the CPU is the problem. As long as whoever sold you the chip didn’t sell it as faulty then they are obliged to offer you a repair, replacement or refund regardless of any warranty period.

The Act states that goods sold should have durability, section 9 part 3 linked here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/9/enacted

Durability is “the fact of something continuing without failing”

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/durability

Your CPU has failed within a time period that is unreasonable for it to fail in (No Threadripper CPU’s should conk out for years yet, they are all less than three years old) and is therefore not durable as the Act states that all goods sold need to be. The time period of durability obviously changes according to the product, you don’t expect an orange to be fit to eat after three years for example, but CPUs normally last many years. Hell my brothers Amiga 500 with Motorola 68k from the late 80’s still works!

Contact your supplier, tell them the CPU has failed and you want a replacement, repair or failing that a refund. Give them adequate opportunity to make things right (2-3 weeks), and if they don’t then start a small claims action against them and refer to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as your argument. You’ll have a replacement in no time.

Don’t get angry or frustrated, calmly tell them what you want and what the consequences will be if they do not comply with the law. Once they see the small claims letter they will buckle immediately. I’ve done this with Vodafone, Apple and an OCUK competitor and was successful every time (they all buckled and gave in before court). It’s easy, simple and cheap, the courts are there for a reason so use them.

Soldato
I picked it up from an bankrupt company sale so there is no warranty.

I’m going to persevere a bit longer as it seems that the Threadripper retention system is well known for issues. I’m going to “step away” from it for a few days as it’s become a bit frustrating and I’m pretty much ready to throw it out of the window! ;)

in the meantime please keep any suggestions coming to what else I can try, I do appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions.

Try flashback anyway as mine was a lot like this, try with an old BIOS and a new one as it sends microcode to the CPU during update.

Interesting, I wasn’t aware that BIOS update changed microcode on CPU, when I get back to it I will try this as well.

One of the last things I did before the system would not update is upgrade the BIOS to 3.60 (AMD AGESA ThreadRipperPI-SP3r2 1.1.0.2), is it possible something went wrong and it's left the CPU in a weird state, could also explain why it doesn't work on another board!

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I picked it up from an bankrupt company sale so there is no warranty.

I’m going to persevere a bit longer as it seems that the Threadripper retention system is well known for issues. I’m going to “step away” from it for a few days as it’s become a bit frustrating and I’m pretty much ready to throw it out of the window! ;)

in the meantime please keep any suggestions coming to what else I can try, I do appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions.

Interesting, I wasn’t aware that BIOS update changed microcode on CPU, when I get back to it I will try this as well.

One of the last things I did before the system would not update is upgrade the BIOS to 3.60 (AMD AGESA ThreadRipperPI-SP3r2 1.1.0.2), is it possible something went wrong and it's left the CPU in a weird state, could also explain why it doesn't work on another board!

HEADRAT

I'm running the same cpu, same board and also same bios version... something seems odd. Cant place my finger on it.

Soldato
it has me flummoxed, I just took delivery of a brand new, retail Threadripper 2920x so its going to be very clear if it’s the 1950x very soon ;)

Going to try the Gigabyte Auros Pro x399 first and work backwards from there.

Soldato
I've only ever had one CPU go bad, but the process to replace it through AMD was relatively simple. They sorted it out aboout 2 years after initial purchase.
You say no warranty, but guess you could open a case and plead ignorance. Say it was a gift or similar?

Soldato
AMD will know straight away from the serial number of the chip that's it's OEM.

I put the original Taichi x399 and Threadripper 1950x back together, I was really diligent with torquing down the CPU in the proper order and the placement/tightening of the cooler, as I expected (but not what I had hoped for) it was Q-Code error 90.

The Taichi x399 plain refuses to "flashback", whatever I do just leads to a solid green light which means something went wrong with the process, I've tried multiple different BIOS versions with the same result. Tomorrow I'm going to put together the 2920x and Auros Pro and see if that works (no reason it shouldn't as it's all brand new retail stuff), if it does I will then swap the 2920x with the 1950x, if no dice then I think I've proved the 1950x is borked.

Not sure what happened to the Taichi, maybe that somehow managed to toast itself the same time as the CPU, in over 30 years of tinkering with PCs I’ve never had such problems. Certainly not from a PC that was working and then just crashed and then never returned, so very odd!

I'm running the same cpu, same board and also same bios version... something seems odd. Cant place my finger on it.

Guess you don’t fancy letting me put my CPU in your system do you, I’ll buy you lunch ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
AMD will know straight away from the serial number of the chip that's it's OEM.

I put the original Taichi x399 and Threadripper 1950x back together, I was really diligent with torquing down the CPU in the proper order and the placement/tightening of the cooler, as I expected (but not what I had hoped for) it was Q-Code error 90.

The Taichi x399 plain refuses to "flashback", whatever I do just leads to a solid green light which means something went wrong with the process, I've tried multiple different BIOS versions with the same result. Tomorrow I'm going to put together the 2920x and Auros Pro and see if that works (no reason it shouldn't as it's all brand new retail stuff), if it does I will then swap the 2920x with the 1950x, if no dice then I think I've proved the 1950x is borked.

Not sure what happened to the Taichi, maybe that somehow managed to toast itself the same time as the CPU, in over 30 years of tinkering with PCs I’ve never had such problems. Certainly not from a PC that was working and then just crashed and then never returned, so very odd!

Guess you don’t fancy letting me put my CPU in your system do you, I’ll buy you lunch ;)

If you want to try your cpu in my system you are more than welcome to give it a pop. I mean it has to be worth a try right? I now also want to test the usb flashback on my Taichi... Not because of any issue but you say it's not been possible from the latest bios. I decided to check as was sure I updated it like a month back but apparently not:

Who knows. But if you want to test on a Taichi with an older bios I appear to be your man.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK update for today:

1. Built Gigabyte Auros Pro x399 and Threadripper 2920x, worked first time!! (yay at least I know my frail old hands haven't lost the ability to build PC after 30 years of trying, some of my sanity has returned)
2. Put Threadripper 1950x into Gigabyte Auros Pro x399, Q-Code 90.
3. Put Threadripper 2950x back into Gigabyte Auros Pro x399, worked for a second time :)
4. Put Taichi x399 and Threadripper 2920x, working!
5. Put Taichi x399 and Threadripper 1950x, Q-Code 90.

I think I've proved that the Threadripper 1950x is at fault.

I was in contact with RMA returns at Asrock and there in a new BIOS out today:

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/TR4/X399 Taichi(3.80)ROM.zip

which worked in "Flashback" for me straight away.

I'm a bit fed up that the 1950x seems to be borked but I didn't pay much for it so that's a bit of a blessing!

HEADRAT

Soldato
Pricing complaints need to be benched while TR is undercutting previous products and improving performance in the role it has.

It is expensive. To say it's a bad price needs a comparable product which is better somehow for leverage in the argument. There's no weight at all when anything comparable is worse.

Back
Top Bottom