Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Hmmm, we "could" just say that in Picards advancing years that his memory of Data is not quite correct anymore. And so we see what Picard remembers in the dream and it's not the same as Data should be. But, still excited to see this, and ready to grab Prime just for this. Although depending on how its released, I may just grab a month of Prime to binge watch it all in one go. :)
Its to be released weekly.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I quite enjoyed Discovery, but of course every TNG episode was awesome...........
Discovery is ok. Remove Tilly out and it improves a lot for me. But still nowhere near the quality of TNG.

They will really **** me off if they have a Tilly type character in this show. It is just so out of place.. Super cringy.

Soldato
Season 2 was enjoyable.

Can’t tell if sarcastic or not.

I am guessing sarcasm since there are some truly terrible episodes like Sub Rosa and Shades of Grey.

TNG is my favourite and I can't wait to see this.

Season 2 of Discovery I thought was pretty good but the only character I really liked was Captain Pike. It would have been good to have a series on the Enterprise with Pike, Spock and Number One.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Season 2 of Discovery I thought was pretty good but the only character I really liked was Captain Pike. It would have been good to have a series on the Enterprise with Pike, Spock and Number One.

It does rather say it all when the only character you like is the one from the original Trek pilot episode :)

Maybe, just maybe, there's still a market for actual Star Trek rather than Generic Dark Sci-Fi Series With Trekish Elements...

Soldato
Discovery had some good visual effects, and Anson Mount and Jason Isaacs were stand out actors. Unfortunately the rest of the show was hung on an unlikeable character, played by a mediocre actress, and far too much drama as it's easier and cheaper to make than sci-fi.

I'm hoping that going back to an ensemble with Picard fixes a lot of those problems, especially if the rumours of Kurtzman being sidelined are true. However, there are also a lot of rumours about problems behind the scenes and licensees not liking what they are seeing (including Netflix who passed on picking Picard up).

So it could go either way, but CBS and JJ Abrams have not been doing well recently in terms of doing anything more than woke rehashes that look flashy but have little substance.

Caporegime
It does rather say it all when the only character you like is the one from the original Trek pilot episode :)

Maybe, just maybe, there's still a market for actual Star Trek rather than Generic Dark Sci-Fi Series With Trekish Elements...

How much of that market is now just nostalgia and isn't whatsoever something to rely on from a corporate point of view?

I mean it's no excuse for making it an SJW fest with **** actors, but still, the industry is clearly in "safe mode".

Last edited:
Soldato
How much of that market is now just nostalgia and isn't whatsoever something to rely on from a corporate point of view?

I mean it's no excuse for making it an SJW fest with **** actors, but still, the industry is clearly in "safe mode".

What do you think they are doing with Picard and most of the TNG cast, if not nostalgia?

I think what we've seen is many entertainment companies hitching their wagons to woke, metoo, etc in the hope they can make inroads into new audiences (ie women), whilst keeping the predominantly male "nostalgia" audience who made them so much money. What they've actually done is alienate the core nostalgic viewer, whilst at the same time not making anything good enough to make inroads into new audience demographics.

They've done this by pretty much putting agenda above story and characters, thus making a product that simply isn't that good. For instance, all of Burnham's constant relationship drama is IMO there to "attract the women" in a patronising way. It's also much cheaper and easier to write than to develop the other characters and give them interesting storylines as a crew.

Just talk to people who are running the disappearing comic shops. The old stories sell, the new ones don't, and that's down to making a less attractive product due to efforts to push agendas and move into new markets, rather than telling good stories.

Caporegime
What do you think they are doing with Picard and most of the TNG cast, if not nostalgia?

I think what we've seen is many entertainment companies hitching their wagons to woke, metoo, etc in the hope they can make inroads into new audiences (ie women), whilst keeping the predominantly male "nostalgia" audience who made them so much money. What they've actually done is alienate the core nostalgic viewer, whilst at the same time not making anything good enough to make inroads into new audience demographics.

They've done this by pretty much putting agenda above story and characters, thus making a product that simply isn't that good. For instance, all of Burnham's constant relationship drama is IMO there to "attract the women" in a patronising way. It's also much cheaper and easier to write than to develop the other characters and give them interesting storylines as a crew.

Just talk to people who are running the disappearing comic shops. The old stories sell, the new ones don't, and that's down to making a less attractive product due to efforts to push agendas and move into new markets, rather than telling good stories.

Picard might be nostalgia, but it's hardly going to be TNG in any shape or form (i'm sure to the chagrin of the ultra "back in muh day" folk, who moan at everything), which Stewart didn't want to contemplate, but i guess we'll just have to see.

I'm looking forward to it, i have some initial reprehension regarding what can be speculated on from the trailers and who's got major roles, but otherwise just hoping it's not plagued be wokers.

Back
Top Bottom