• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) already in the works

Soldato
What's up with SMT4 that it couldn't be implemented before now?

intel has nothing to compete with it so why bother.

this is how business works - AMD delivered massive innovation to take Intels place - ow it has it, until Intel can compete why keep innovating. Not saying AMD isn't going to keep improving their products I'm sure they will - but SMT4 is a big feature and it could be better to hang onto it until it's needed to keep the thumb on Intel

Soldato
SMT4 has been implemented before. SMT8 is on some IBM server chips. But there's not been any real point to implement SMT4 on desktop because general purpose computing doesn't really benefit from going past 2 or 3 threads. Specific workloads (and the software to match) can benefit of course, which is why more than 2 threads is a server thing.

Of course add to that Intel resting on their laurels for a decade...

Soldato
intel has nothing to compete with it so why bother.

this is how business works - AMD delivered massive innovation to take Intels place - ow it has it, until Intel can compete why keep innovating. Not saying AMD isn't going to keep improving their products I'm sure they will - but SMT4 is a big feature and it could be better to hang onto it until it's needed to keep the thumb on Intel
You think AMD are going to just stop what they're doing because 1 generation of CPUs trumps Intel? AMD aren't stopping until past Zen 5, there is a lot more stuff coming. AMD aren't holding off until they need to keep the thumb on Intel, they're throwing haymakers left and right to batter Intel's bloody corpse into the ground. AMD will possibly never have another chance like this to level the playing field, and they are clearly going for the jugular.

The only change we've seen to AMD's roadmaps and development is they're tempering their rapid pace. Intel has nothing to respond with so AMD have the breathing room to actually get their kit working, publicly available and in the hands of developers. Otherwise we'd just get repeat after repeat after repeat of Bulldozer (forward thinking architecture that just didn't work without software support) and X570 (we're on the billionth microcode revision now?) and the "AMD are hopeless" mindshare ******** just perpetuates.

Plus, AMD can't risk slowing down because the guy who designed Zen is back at Intel; if anybody can beat Jim Keller it's Jim Keller.

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

You think AMD are going to just stop what they're doing because 1 generation of CPUs trumps Intel? AMD aren't stopping until past Zen 5, there is a lot more stuff coming. AMD aren't holding off until they need to keep the thumb on Intel, they're throwing haymakers left and right to batter Intel's bloody corpse into the ground. AMD will possibly never have another chance like this to level the playing field, and they are clearly going for the jugular.

The only change we've seen to AMD's roadmaps and development is they're tempering their rapid pace. Intel has nothing to respond with so AMD have the breathing room to actually get their kit working, publicly available and in the hands of developers. Otherwise we'd just get repeat after repeat after repeat of Bulldozer (forward thinking architecture that just didn't work without software support) and X570 (we're on the billionth microcode revision now?) and the "AMD are hopeless" mindshare ******** just perpetuates.

Plus, AMD can't risk slowing down because the guy who designed Zen is back at Intel; if anybody can beat Jim Keller it's Jim Keller.

Agree with this.

How stupid would it be for AMD to do all this hard work, and then after just 1 year of being ahead of intel (Zen+ they were probably on par with intel whilst being cheaper) that they just stop innovating and slow down pace for no reason?

AMD need to keep crushing it, and judging by recent articles and leaks, thats exactly what they're doing. In regards to SMT4, I don't even really see any use for that from a MSDT platform and its use will only be in server cases.

EPYC still has a lot of ground to gain on intel, and with everything going towards cloud data and storage, it couldnt have come at a better time

Soldato
SMT essentially assigns otherwise unused parts of a core to a second thread. However, implementing SMT is not trivial and there are diminishing returns. If SMT2 nets you, say 30% extra performance in an app that fully utilises all cores, you might only get another 10-15% performance with SMT4, for example. The die space used for the extra SMT4 logic could instead be used to improve branch prediction (which essentially improves IPC across the board) or something.

It might appear on EPYC 3 but I doubt it'll be in consumer chips for a long time.

Associate
AMD are not going to stand still to let Intel catch up, that's not what the poster was saying above anyhow.

The rumour is Ryzen 4000 on 7nm+ is another big leap forward, looking forward to that already.

Permabanned
SMT essentially assigns otherwise unused parts of a core to a second thread. However, implementing SMT is not trivial and there are diminishing returns. If SMT2 nets you, say 30% extra performance in an app that fully utilises all cores, you might only get another 10-15% performance with SMT4, for example. The die space used for the extra SMT4 logic could instead be used to improve branch prediction (which essentially improves IPC across the board) or something.

It might appear on EPYC 3 but I doubt it'll be in consumer chips for a long time.

Does SMT4 mean that 4 threads can be executed simultaneously on a single core, or that single core simply changes these 4 threads extremely quickly - making the execution concurrent?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Does SMT4 mean that 4 threads can be executed simultaneously on a single core, or that single core simply changes these 4 threads extremely quickly - making the execution concurrent?

The former I believe

TrM

TrM

Associate
Bad news - Ryzen 4000 will be released as late as second half of 2020. Not like the previous schedules for Ryzen 1000 and Ryzen 2000 - March/April 2017/2018.
https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-3-launching-2020-zen-4-zen-5-in-development/

why would amd release any earlier ? Amd want to maximise there sales of all there released CPU’s and not just upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Have such a late launch of ryzen 3000 for 7nm mode etc caused amd to move the launch of future products. As a amd owner I would be rather annoyed if amd brought out a new cpu 6-9 months later

Yes, best case scenario is probably 12 months after Ryzen 3000. I would expect Zen 2 based Renoir APUs earlier though, maybe March.

I don’t think we will see another apu before ryzen 4000 launch but I do think we will get a truck load of mobile type CPU’s for laptops though

Caporegime
Why is it bad news when you've done nothing but ****, bitch, moan and complain since you didn't get your 5GHz 16 core for $30? Thought you'd be over the moon at AMD delaying so more people can buy Intel again.

I think he's really annoyed because with AMD not releasing Ryzen 4000 until H2 2020 they wont be releasing a 12 core for another 8 months or so....

Soldato
why would amd release any earlier ? Amd want to maximise there sales of all there released CPU’s and not just upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Have such a late launch of ryzen 3000 for 7nm mode etc caused amd to move the launch of future products. As a amd owner I would be rather annoyed if amd brought out a new cpu 6-9 months later

Well the performance uplift for the 4000 would justify the early release :D
Though because AMD now might go for H2 2020 (which is July or later), could make more money of me, as I am eyeing a 3950X.
Idk why, more core are like a drug atm :D 12 cores aren't enough.....
Need MOREEEEE POWERRRRRR :D

Back
Top Bottom