Associate

Jack Ma, billionaire Ali Baba owner decided he also wanted to be Jack Ma, action movie star in this vanity project where he squares up to martial arts movie legends like Jet Li.

Truly ridiculous and unintentionally hilarious but with that kind of money I can't really blame him.

Transmission breaker
Don

I liked it. Slightly irreverent humour throughout.
Credits were the only bit that made me cringe a bit, otherwise, credible and entertaining!
It's not like we have a lot of time to learn about his character in such a short action packed scene, but it worked for me!
Surprising, as when I watched his debate with Elon Musk, he came across far worse, and a bit daft.

Associate
I liked it. Slightly irreverent humour throughout.
Credits were the only bit that made me cringe a bit, otherwise, credible and entertaining!
It's not like we have a lot of time to learn about his character in such a short action packed scene, but it worked for me!
Surprising, as when I watched his debate with Elon Musk, he came across far worse, and a bit daft.

Yeah even though I was laughing at it I did still come away with a sense of admiration for Jack Ma doing what he wants without worrying about what others think, I definitely enjoyed it overall as well, maybe not his song at the end though, hah.

Now Jeff Bezos needs to do a Amazon sponsored version of the Expendables where he fights Arnie and Sly and does a duet with Taylor Swift.

It definitely shows a human side to Ma as well that is probably quite endearing to his staff, a lot of billionaires would be too stuffy to something like that.

I too saw that Musk interview with Ma which is what led me down this rabbit hole to find that movie, I suspect Ma has a high level of emotional intelligence and a hard work ethic to get where he is, because he didn't seem that smart compared to Musk, perhaps translation played a part in it.

Man of Honour
["lethal self defence" video]

Well that's as silly as old Batman programs, complete with the same sound effects.

The real McCoy in this context would be WW2 SOE field agent training. Ugly, very ugly. I read a comment from one person who'd served in that capacity that summed it up. He never went into a pub after he was trained because he was worried that if anything kicked off he'd instinctively respond as trained - kill the enemy before thinking because thinking is slower than acting. Thinking is for how to best dispose of the body. Perhaps more disturbing is the reason why Nancy Wake killed someone with her bare hands - she didn't have a knife at the time. That answer made perfect sense in context (she decided to kill him quietly because any noise might jeopardise her mission), but it's rather disturbing from a modern perspective. None of this "POW!" "BAM!" malarky, just getting the job done when the job is killing.

Caporegime
Well that's as silly as old Batman programs, complete with the same sound effects.

The real McCoy in this context would be WW2 SOE field agent training. Ugly, very ugly. I read a comment from one person who'd served in that capacity that summed it up. He never went into a pub after he was trained because he was worried that if anything kicked off he'd instinctively respond as trained - kill the enemy before thinking because thinking is slower than acting.

I think that stuff gets rather overblown. I wouldn't necessarily call Baz Rutten silly, while following some of his advice might well get you in trouble with the law he's got a fair bit of experience in effective martial arts.

As for the apparent comment from the SOE agent, that sounds like a lot of hyperbole... receiving some unarmed combat training etc.. doesn't brainwash you into some unthinking robot that might potentially kill someone in the local pub by accident - that's pretty ridiculous tbh...

Soldato
Nancy Wake. One hell of a woman. She used to sit up all night drinking whisky with anyone who doubted her mettle, and was always the last man standing. Nice one, @Angilion.

Associate
So after visiting Hawaii and having a fantastic time, we looked for an island destination with a less touristy vibe and a more relaxed enviroment. We found Rarotonga in the Cook Islands.

Here is my after movie from that trip featuring GoPro and DJI Mavic footage

Man of Honour
I think that stuff gets rather overblown. I wouldn't necessarily call Baz Rutten silly, while following some of his advice might well get you in trouble with the law he's got a fair bit of experience in effective martial arts.

I didn't say he was silly. I said the video was silly.

As for the apparent comment from the SOE agent, that sounds like a lot of hyperbole... receiving some unarmed combat training etc.. doesn't brainwash you into some unthinking robot that might potentially kill someone in the local pub by accident - that's pretty ridiculous tbh...

It was his own opinion about his own situation. And the killing wouldn't have been by accident. He didn't mention anything about accidents and neither did I.

Training to act in a particular way in particular circumstance does create a risk of acting in that way in those circumstances. Adding alcohol to the mix wouldn't help, as alcohol slows your thinking processes. You might decide that there was no risk or that you would take the risk. He decided that there was a risk and he wouldn't take it.

Caporegime
It was his own opinion about his own situation. And the killing wouldn't have been by accident. He didn't mention anything about accidents and neither did I.

Training to act in a particular way in particular circumstance does create a risk of acting in that way in those circumstances. Adding alcohol to the mix wouldn't help, as alcohol slows your thinking processes. You might decide that there was no risk or that you would take the risk. He decided that there was a risk and he wouldn't take it.

I mean the accident was implied - i.e. a knee jerk reaction quicker than he can think thus why this person doesn't go into pubs. Sorry but I'm not buying this at all, it seems very detached from reality - undergoing some unarmed combat training i.e. some combination of judo, jiu jitsu etc.. and learning to stab people etc.. doesn't magically change someone into a killing machine who can no longer go to the pub, I'm not aware of this risk being documented and there isn't much of a shortage of military people who've had some sort of training like this or indeed just martial arts enthusiasts etc.. And I'm skeptical of the retelling of this third party claim - what was the source for this?

Caporegime
LOL

Now if you swapped the roles and it was a cheerleading coach's husband with a "tradition" of kissing all the young cheerleaders well..... :D

Back
Top Bottom