What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Joker 8/10
Probably the best film of a shockingly poor year for films.
Great performance from Joaquin phoenix who I regard as one of the best actors around at the moment. It's a grim film with zero laughs, but it tells the story of Jokers descent into madness brilliantly. A cut above all the other comic book guff out there.
I laughed out loud quite a lot and found those moments off set the more serious moments. I thought in those moments they left it open for you to find them funny. Most obviously the bit in the hospital when he was performing for the kids - surely you laughed at that? :p

Soldato
The Upside - having seen the original French one (Untouchable) I was intrigued by this American copy. I thought it worked really well and although it didn't bring anything new it stands on its own merit. 4/5

Associate
Once upon a time in Hollywood

Well I must have got to about half way through before falling asleep

Let down so far by lead actors pit /dicaprio playing their same typical performances

5/10 so far though this score may improve once I return to watch the rest (not in rush)

Soldato
Once upon a time in Hollywood

Well I must have got to about half way through before falling asleep

Let down so far by lead actors pit /dicaprio playing their same typical performances

5/10 so far though this score may improve once I return to watch the rest (not in rush)

I didn’t think much of the first half but I enjoyed the second half. From where Brad Pitt’s character goes to the ranch onwards.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Once upon a time in Hollywood 8/10

No idea why i enjoyed it, nothing happens, not really a story but a fun stylish take on a buddy movie.

Violence made me wince though :) i am getting old.

Last edited:
Soldato
Once upon a time in America 8/10

No idea why i enjoyed it, nothing happens, not really a story but a fun stylish take on a buddy movie.

“Buddy movie”? Do you mean Hollywood instead of America?

Once Upon a Time in America is one of the greatest films of all time but whilst you could say it was a “buddy movie”, as it’s about a bunch of friends who go from kids to gangster, it’s really not.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
“Buddy movie”? Do you mean Hollywood instead of America?

Once Upon a Time in America is one of the greatest films of all time but whilst you could say it was a “buddy movie”, as it’s about a bunch of friends who go from kids to gangster, it’s really not.

What mistake............ yeah :) Hollywood.

Soldato
Once upon a time in Hollywood 8/10

I was really disappointed in it to be honest. Like you said, nothing happens. I thought there would be more relation to Charles Manson and The Manson family as it seemed to be hyped on that but there was very little of it. It came to an end and I was like.. Eh? Very meandering and unfocused with very little story/plot unlike Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill etc.. Disappointing.

4/10

Caporegime
A Simple Favor

We've all heard of Dramadies by now, but how about Thrillerdies/Comedrillers?

Generally a thriller, with comedic aspects woven in, which I had never seen before and quite enjoyed as a result.

Nothing amazing, but I find pretty much anything with Kendrick watchable.

6/10

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I was really disappointed in it to be honest. Like you said, nothing happens. I thought there would be more relation to Charles Manson and The Manson family as it seemed to be hyped on that but there was very little of it. It came to an end and I was like.. Eh? Very meandering and unfocused with very little story/plot unlike Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill etc.. Disappointing.

4/10

I think that is why i enjoyed it, almost a ART movie just went on its merry way with no concern about anything at all really, just refreshing i guess.

Soldato
Fighting With My Family - 7½/10. True story about a wrestler from Norwich making it big in the WWE. Quite funny and quite touching in places. Recommended.

**EDIT** Bumped a half. I do wonder if I should go a full 8 tbh...

Last edited:
Soldato
You Were Never Really Here. 6/10.

Giving it the 6 because some of the acting and some of the cinematography was really good. I also liked the way the director portrayed violence without ever really showing any violence. It worked for this movie.

But, the movie itself was dull and boring. No mystery and no suspense and all very predictable, man hits lots of people with a hammer, rescues girl. The pacing is terrible, so slow. There were so many scenes that didn't advance the plot and didn't cast any new light on any of the characters, they seemed to be just an excuse to get in some kind of artistic shot. Did we really need long slow scene after long slow scene showing us that Joe was suicidal?

Soldato
You Were Never Really Here. 6/10.

Giving it the 6 because some of the acting and some of the cinematography was really good. I also liked the way the director portrayed violence without ever really showing any violence. It worked for this movie.

But, the movie itself was dull and boring. No mystery and no suspense and all very predictable, man hits lots of people with a hammer, rescues girl. The pacing is terrible, so slow. There were so many scenes that didn't advance the plot and didn't cast any new light on any of the characters, they seemed to be just an excuse to get in some kind of artistic shot. Did we really need long slow scene after long slow scene showing us that Joe was suicidal?

I completely disagree. Yes it was a little slow paced, bit that's just the type of film it is. It always kept me interested right up until the end. And Joaquin phoenix excellent as usual. Gets a 7.5/10 from me.

Associate
Last Christmas (2019) - 7/10

A mixed modern Christmas movie which just about manages to balance the heartbreak and joy amongst the not-so traditional festivities.

There’s good acting from the wide range of characters and lots of funny little moments to lighten up the mood, but it’s very corny and the George Michael songs are more of a coincidence than an integral part of the plot.

The plot's not that great and it didn't really get me in the Christmas mood, but it was a lot better than I was expecting.

Back
Top Bottom