1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. tek81

Wise Guy

Dr Sleep - I went in having not read any reviews and with rather low expectations. As a fan of the original, I was interested to see how the story was continued and built upon. Although not on a par with its predecessor, I thought it was a superb film and well worth a watch. 7/10.

2. Infidelus

Wise Guy

I turned Bad Neighbours off after 20 minutes because Seth Rogen is just an unfunny ****.

3. chroniclard

Capodecina

:(:p

4. JRS

Capodecina

Primal.

Somewhere here, buried deep, there's an okay movie. The cast are all good (yes, even Nic Cage ;)) with the notable exception of the young lad who, in fairness, was playing a character with a near-terminal case of the stupids so I can forgive him. The script is mostly fine. The story itself is pretty much boilerplate (it could have been a Steven Seagal film from the '90s!) but it would be entertaining enough had this film been directed by anyone who knew...well...how to direct. Instead, it was directed by a guy whose previous credits revolve mainly around stunt co-ordination.

Oh, and the CGI white jaguar was laughable.

Still, not as bad as The Great Wall.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  5. tek81

Wise Guy

Joker -

The second best film I've seen this year. Not an easy watch, but worth it. I'm still not quite sure what to make of the ending though....

7.5/10

6. Freakbro

Capodecina

Magnus - 7.5 / 10

Documentary following the upbringing and development of Magnus Carlson the Norwegian chess prodigy. Brilliant.

Follow the Money : A Month in the Life of a Ten Dollar Bill - 7 / 10

A documentary from 3 British film makers who mark a ten dollar bill and follow its progress across America for a month. Really good, much better than it sounds! :)

7. smokedog

Mobster

What was the best, just out of interest.

8. MissChief

Capodecina

Midway as Son wanted to see it. I quite enjoyed it actually. Emmerich managed to rein in his usual extravagance and the movie was much better for it. A solid 7/10.

9. tek81

Wise Guy

The Shape of Water. A stunning film in many ways, but especially in terms of cinematography and characterization.

10. Werewolf

Commissario

Aye, that is a really well done film and the cinematography was absolutely top notch, Del Toro is pretty much a genius when it comes to getting the "look" for his films, if you've got the Disc watching the extras is well worth the time as you realise how many things you were probably not consciously aware of but picked up on during the film.

11. TheOracle

Capodecina

Joker 9/10

Had low expectations from a DC comic book movie, but this was a really refreshing change. Finally a good DC movie without it being your typical (good vs bad, cgi filled snoozeathon)

12. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Your post just reminded me of this meme :D Disclaimer - i'm also a huge MCU fan before anyone gets their knickers twisted.

[​IMG]

13. Munky1080

Wise Guy

On Wednesday I watched Miday at the Bluewater 4dx screen (or whatever it's called). We caught the 2230 showing and there was only myself, my mate, and three others in the cinema.

I really enjoyed it! I'm a big WWII buff and my grandfather fought at both Midway and the Marshall Islands. Without giving too much away, it's not just about the Battle of Midway, as it starts off in 1937. It was pretty historically accurate, and the action was pretty intense. There were a few funny bits of CGI, but all in all it was very well made and I really consider this a bit of a hidden gem.

Overall, I'd call it a solid 7.5/8 out of 10 for great action, historical accuracy, and good acting. Three of the actors are in my facourite show, Man in the High Castle, so I may be a bit biased, though!

14. checjb

Wise Guy

Oooh, that works for me. I may have to go and see it this weekend then. I was worried it was going to be 'Pearl Harbour' 2.0

15. Munky1080

Wise Guy

Quite the contrary! Sure, there is the "human element" but it's nothing like Pearl Harbor in that regards, and I consider it a very solid WWII movie that should stand up for years to come.

16. Scam

Capodecina

Aniara - 6/10

I think it would have been a better watch in the cinema but alas did not get a wide release. I think the film itself didn't quite live up to the idea of humans getting stranded in space for (possibly) eternity. The reviews were really good and I loved the idea, but it kinda fell short of what I thought it could have been.

17. Chojin

Wise Guy

John Wick 3

Thought it was a load of rubbish - but consistent with the rest of the series in that respect.

Going back a few years I found the original was too action heavy, and the sequel had the same issue but with a glimmer of a storyline when Laurence Fishburne was introduced.

So I was quite excited to see the third installment and having watched it they may as well have called it "John Wick 2: Part 2" because it felt like complete filler, like the middle film in a trilogy. Halle Berry's character was kind of pointless and Laurence Fishburne was shelved. Some ropey CGI too and Keanu Reeves seems to phone his performance in.

I'll probably avoid any more sequels unless they take inspiration from The Raid 2 and add a bit more substance to it.

4/10

18. hyperseven

Soldato

Charlies Angels (2019)
    Bloody awful. The 2000 film was at least fun.

19. Muban

Soldato

Jojo Rabbit 9/10

Was as good as the trailer promised, my favourite film so far this year. Funny and serious at the same time.

20. booyaka

Capodecina

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286916/

The Dawn Wall ( on netflix currently)

Documentary/movie - Amazing - really really interesting story and the level of obsession that some people go to when they set their mind to it. Didn't think something about climbing would have me so engrossed.

I remember seeing it on the news at the time but watching it and finding out more about it - cinematography is absolutely gorgeous as well.

Superb.

9/10 for me