What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Joker 9/10

Had low expectations from a DC comic book movie, but this was a really refreshing change. Finally a good DC movie without it being your typical (good vs bad, cgi filled snoozeathon)

Your post just reminded me of this meme :D Disclaimer - i'm also a huge MCU fan before anyone gets their knickers twisted.

qptC62Z.jpg

Associate
On Wednesday I watched Miday at the Bluewater 4dx screen (or whatever it's called). We caught the 2230 showing and there was only myself, my mate, and three others in the cinema.

I really enjoyed it! I'm a big WWII buff and my grandfather fought at both Midway and the Marshall Islands. Without giving too much away, it's not just about the Battle of Midway, as it starts off in 1937. It was pretty historically accurate, and the action was pretty intense. There were a few funny bits of CGI, but all in all it was very well made and I really consider this a bit of a hidden gem.

Overall, I'd call it a solid 7.5/8 out of 10 for great action, historical accuracy, and good acting. Three of the actors are in my facourite show, Man in the High Castle, so I may be a bit biased, though!

Soldato
Overall, I'd call it a solid 7.5/8 out of 10 for great action, historical accuracy, and good acting. Three of the actors are in my facourite show, Man in the High Castle, so I may be a bit biased, though!

Oooh, that works for me. I may have to go and see it this weekend then. I was worried it was going to be 'Pearl Harbour' 2.0

Soldato
Aniara - 6/10

I think it would have been a better watch in the cinema but alas did not get a wide release. I think the film itself didn't quite live up to the idea of humans getting stranded in space for (possibly) eternity. The reviews were really good and I loved the idea, but it kinda fell short of what I thought it could have been.

Soldato
John Wick 3

Thought it was a load of rubbish - but consistent with the rest of the series in that respect.

Going back a few years I found the original was too action heavy, and the sequel had the same issue but with a glimmer of a storyline when Laurence Fishburne was introduced.

So I was quite excited to see the third installment and having watched it they may as well have called it "John Wick 2: Part 2" because it felt like complete filler, like the middle film in a trilogy. Halle Berry's character was kind of pointless and Laurence Fishburne was shelved. Some ropey CGI too and Keanu Reeves seems to phone his performance in.

I'll probably avoid any more sequels unless they take inspiration from The Raid 2 and add a bit more substance to it.

4/10

Soldato
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286916/

The Dawn Wall ( on netflix currently)

Documentary/movie - Amazing - really really interesting story and the level of obsession that some people go to when they set their mind to it. Didn't think something about climbing would have me so engrossed.

I remember seeing it on the news at the time but watching it and finding out more about it - cinematography is absolutely gorgeous as well.

Superb.

9/10 for me

Soldato
Aliens - One of the few films that I can watch multiple times and still enjoy it. Classic sci-fi horror, that, in my mind at least, is where the Alien franchise ended. 8/10.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Ford v. Ferrari.

A little part of me was concerned that this movie was going to suck. I needn't have worried - it was great. Is it 100% faithful to history? Nah. Same as Rush, some events are missed out, some compressed, the odd bit pretty much mangled for the sake of dramatic licence. But that doesn't matter, because the film treats its subjects with enough reverence.

Bale and Damon play their respective roles well, in fact the whole cast are on-point. The racing scenes are well done, with only minor breaks from the laws of our physical universe - though the age-old 'put your foot down harder when already going flat out' trope crops up :p It's a 9/10 for me.

Side note - I had to go check the cast list after, because I was sure I recognised who was playing Dan Gurney. Turns out I was bang on - it's Alex Gurney, his youngest son and a pretty handy racecar driver in his own right :)

Caporegime
It's called Le man's 66 here.

I just saw it as well and I agree it was very enjoyable and those 2 1/2 hours blew by without me checking my watch. Not sure how accurate it was, I imagine there wasn't a specific smarmy Ford executive trying to undermine them at every stage for instance. Bale's accent was off as well.

One thing that I thought was amusing, is that
Shelby was cheating slightly when he took the Ferarri stop watches and dropped a bolt outside the pit - In any other film they would be the villains for that sort of behavior.

8/10 from me.

Associate
Jojo Rabbit 9/10

Was as good as the trailer promised, my favourite film so far this year. Funny and serious at the same time.

I'm really excited for that one. I've only seen the first trailer as I want to stay away from too much spoiler from the movie but I'm in love with that trailer. Looks soo good.

Soldato
I'm really excited for that one. I've only seen the first trailer as I want to stay away from too much spoiler from the movie but I'm in love with that trailer. Looks soo good.
It's really a 9+ maybe even a 10, but I prefer to give a film more than one watch before saying a film is a 10. You won’t be disappointed. It’s going to be a long wait until January when I can watch( it again.

Soldato
The King - 6.5/10

Enjoyable, though not historically accurate, romp about Henry V

Seven Psychopaths - 6.5 / 10

Mainly watched it on the back of being written & directed by Martin McDonagh [love In Bruges and 3 Billboards]. You could definitely tell the dialogue was his and it had flashes of his brilliance, but overall wasn't as good as the two aforementioned films.

Associate
Joker A Self contained character piece No CGI
Very well done loved it...watched Saturday & still thinking about now
9/10

Joker-Dancing-header-e1571841434396.jpg

Back
Top Bottom