Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
Is this worth buying now?

I'd rather have it on steam I think.

It's worth buying, but I think steam wont have it as a sensible price for a while yet.

Also the R* launcher really does make it quicker to start as they have royally messed around with steam launches. You have to open and load in the launcher before steam will start to the game. GTA takes a lot longer to launch now because of it.

Man of Honour
Christmas time in St Denis :)
std.png

Soldato
thanks guys. bought it (on steam) just incase i need to refund it.

very very excited to play this!! i'll likely ditch gta v and run through this game.

are ppl using M+K or gamepad?

Ree

Ree

Associate
xbox one controller for me. if you like it get a refund and get it for much cheaper off cdkeys instead of paying full whack.

Associate
I play online and having fun but I tend to solo stuff rather than group.
I have all the aim crutches turned off and go free aim or whatever its called.
I watch videos online where peeps point vaguely in the direction of a moving target and it lazer locks on and auto follows just waiting for you to shoot.
WUT!
My pride will not let me use that sheet.
I dont even use that tracker system whatever its called no wait tell a lie the 5 start bounty guy is it Nik? with the bears.
It becomes active as you save the Marshall but you have no option there so I cant avoid it.

Talking of 5 star bounties Wolfman solo and free aim is either easy if at the farthest point (done right) or for me damn near impossible if he is camped at the LH point (the high pass)
Last time I tried it was a raging blizzard whiteout pointless as could not see the wolves until on top of you.

But back to the qestion I am really enjoying it. Albeit I never seem to make enough dosh, trading and bounty hunting atm.

Man of Honour
The missus and I both have almost 300 hours played each in online now, loving it. Our camp is almost fully upgraded, as is our bar, but we still havent even begun the stranger missions. We've just been playing it like an MMO really :)

Soldato
thanks guys. bought it (on steam) just incase i need to refund it.

very very excited to play this!! i'll likely ditch gta v and run through this game.

are ppl using M+K or gamepad?
M and K though the pad rumble is nice when riding a horse and essential imo for fishing as you can feel the bites! I keep a pad nearby just for the fishing!

Associate
How do you approach this game, are people completing the story and then spending the rest of the time in online? Took a brief look at online, does it have its own story mode as well?

Soldato
Anybody else notice a massive drop in performance for none "new" cards in the last update? Also Vulcan is now causing stuttering so had to switch to DX12 and that has lighting glitches.

My game is nearly unplayable and I have had to drop so many settings and huge frame rate drops

EDIT:

Meh, should have known as I have already posted this in the past. Needed to reinstall my drivers and back on Vulcan......

Last edited:
Soldato
Anybody else notice a massive drop in performance for none "new" cards in the last update? Also Vulcan is now causing stuttering so had to switch to DX12 and that has lighting glitches.

My game is nearly unplayable and I have had to drop so many settings and huge frame rate drops

EDIT:

Meh, should have known as I have already posted this in the past. Needed to reinstall my drivers and back on Vulcan......

I wondered if it was my imagination that it had become harder to get a decent frame-rate recently.

I went in and dropped several of the more demanding settings the other day, and I'm still only getting 40-45fps. I know I'm using a high(ish) res (3440x1440), but I've got almost everything except textures turned down now. It's not too bad to play with GSync, but not ideal and it looks like I'm going to have to take a break from playing to fiddle around with the settings again to try get a smoother experience.

Man of Honour
How do you approach this game, are people completing the story and then spending the rest of the time in online? Took a brief look at online, does it have its own story mode as well?

Neither me or the missus have done any of the single player yet, we jumped straight into the online and have been there ever since. 300 hours and going so far, there are "story" missions in online too but we havent even touched those yet, we've just been playing it like an MMO, grinding the dailies, hunting, gathering, collecting funds, building up our camp and saloon, unlocking the cosmetics etc. Eventually, once we have unlocked everything there is to unlock we will do the single player story.

Man of Honour
I wondered if it was my imagination that it had become harder to get a decent frame-rate recently.

I went in and dropped several of the more demanding settings the other day, and I'm still only getting 40-45fps. I know I'm using a high(ish) res (3440x1440), but I've got almost everything except textures turned down now. It's not too bad to play with GSync, but not ideal and it looks like I'm going to have to take a break from playing to fiddle around with the settings again to try get a smoother experience.

Strangely I've been having the opposite experience, performance for me has been getting better and better and I have now got almost every setting on Ultra or High (I am only at 1920x1080 though), its running smoothly for me now and doesnt look too bad at all as you can see from my screenshots in the thread. (GPU is a 1070, cpu is an i5-2500)

Soldato
Strangely I've been having the opposite experience, performance for me has been getting better and better and I have now got almost every setting on Ultra or High (I am only at 1920x1080 though), its running smoothly for me now and doesnt look too bad at all as you can see from my screenshots in the thread. (GPU is a 1070, cpu is an i5-2500)

Tbf, I can't rule out that it IS my imagination :) Or just that I'm just noticing the lower frames more, perhaps since I played Sunset Overdrive (with its fast-pased action with high FPS) since I first started RDR2.

But I did find it odd that I dropped down reflections, SSAO, far shadows, volumetrics and a few others the other day and still only get low to mid 40s. I feel I would have noticed even lower frame-rates in the past when I had those settings higher.

It looks like I'm going to have to drop quite a few more notches on things to get up to 60ish fps.

It still looks really good, but I am starting to wonder how low I'll have to go with things now.

Soldato

OK spent some time on this and decided to revert to the settings I posted ages ago and was very happy with.

The problem is for me I have found looking back is Anisotropic filtering...

I was on X16 but I was using X4 in my original settings.

So I have dialled all my setting to the following....
OX8h4uY.jpg

9MPvtG0.jpg
rwWLaPK.jpg
wHEIna8.jpg

And it looks great again and he is my latest Benchmark....

djhdRrE.jpg

So will play for a few hours and see how it goes but just going back into Annesburg it is already so much better.

Back
Top Bottom