• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

Associate
The IQ difference is splitting hairs, so negligible.

It's a colour difference, driver revision and in some cases an implementation of technology difference and its a case by case.

I think 4K8KW10 likes to see himself as the Greta Thunberg of the ocuk forums , take from that what you will.........

Soldato
It's a colour difference, driver revision and in some cases an implementation of technology difference and its a case by case.

I think 4K8KW10 likes to see himself as the Greta Thunberg of the ocuk forums , take from that what you will.........

When you say colour difference are you referring to the fact I can't get FULL 444 no matter what I try on my NU7400 TV with 2070S, via any HDMI lead, but with AMD it would "just work" ?

Soldato
On a modern TV you should have these options on HDMI:

Untitled.jpg

From AMD driver. Most TVs are YCBCR 4:4:4:4 I think, which is the default.

Obviously anything less than that isn't going to look as nice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You don't have to calibrate the monitors - run them as they are at default and compare the default images.
You can't calibrate the colours on a Radeon and on a GeForce to be exactly the same, there is no point in doing so, and likely you will fail because it is technically not possible with the current drivers.

Because the users will never calibrate their monitors, even I don't do it, in the best case will only choose between the preset Gamma 1, 2 or 3 maker options.
This here is comedy gold! You claim to be an expert but don't calibrate your monitor? You Sir are a right plonker and have really shown your true colours. You didn't even have a guess at which monitor was which because you didn't have a clue, neither did Nasher. @Vince You Sir are a top man and loved reading your posts, even though I have the hangover from hell lol

Man of Honour
This here is comedy gold! You claim to be an expert but don't calibrate your monitor? You Sir are a right plonker and have really shown your true colours. You didn't even have a guess at which monitor was which because you didn't have a clue, neither did Nasher. @Vince You Sir are a top man and loved reading your posts, even though I have the hangover from hell lol

I will eventually spill the beans on which one is which but I do plan on doing a little compare and I even have a new monitor turning up tomorrow with Quantum Dot goodness so ill set that up tomorrow and we will try again on both my 4k pannel and on that new screen only this time we will have some games to look at as well, I will also include a still of a photo where I thought the colour differences were interesting and hide some finer detail in the building. I'm genuinely interested to see if anybody will be able to tell me which one is which and provide details on how they think they know.

Tests will be something like this:

2 Laptops side by side running the same games (screenshots and photos).
2 laptops via display port to both my monitors, one 4k one 3440x1440. Drivers all at stock. (screenshots and photos).
2 laptops running the same game being plugged into the same monitor one after the other. (video I think is the way forward here).

Games im going to have a look at:

RE2 - Remake
CS:GO
World War 3?
Project Cars 2

I'll just crank all of the settings to the giggawatts @ 4k and 1440 and we shall see what you fine gentlemen think of the IQ differences.

For what it is worth anybody looking in thinking why even bother? I agree! I mean if I see image 1 and have no reference point then does it really matter? For me it's more about on screen vs print/render as I do an awful lot of colour correct work, as In, I do all the design filing work for a huge fashion brand which typically means around 5k images a year which isn't a massive amount but they all matter. I also run a Firey on a production Xerox Versant 80 for nothing more than colour correctness, yes that's 12k worth of Firey just so it's colour correct and fast. then I run dream colour Z display calibrated monitors on my work machine just to be sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder what goes through his head when reading all our posts. Bet it similar to those people who are told the earth is round and not flat :p

Don't think anything goes through his head at all :p He has gone pretty quiet since I explained why the Fog was happening on his Nvidia card in Counter Strike.

What will he do if he can't post screenshots from his go to game?????

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Don't think anything goes through his head at all :p He has gone pretty quiet since I explained why the Fog was happening on his Nvidia card in Counter Strike.

What will he do if he can't post screenshots from his go to game?????
Lol. He is probably busy burning his scientific paper he was going to publish as you just killed it's premise :p

Over a decade of work wasted!

Caporegime
I will eventually spill the beans on which one is which but I do plan on doing a little compare and I even have a new monitor turning up tomorrow with Quantum Dot goodness so ill set that up tomorrow and we will try again on both my 4k pannel and on that new screen only this time we will have some games to look at as well, I will also include a still of a photo where I thought the colour differences were interesting and hide some finer detail in the building. I'm genuinely interested to see if anybody will be able to tell me which one is which and provide details on how they think they know.

Tests will be something like this:

2 Laptops side by side running the same games (screenshots and photos).
2 laptops via display port to both my monitors, one 4k one 3440x1440. Drivers all at stock. (screenshots and photos).
2 laptops running the same game being plugged into the same monitor one after the other. (video I think is the way forward here).

Games im going to have a look at:

RE2 - Remake
CS:GO
World War 3?
Project Cars 2

I'll just crank all of the settings to the giggawatts @ 4k and 1440 and we shall see what you fine gentlemen think of the IQ differences.

For what it is worth anybody looking in thinking why even bother? I agree! I mean if I see image 1 and have no reference point then does it really matter? For me it's more about on screen vs print/render as I do an awful lot of colour correct work, as In, I do all the design filing work for a huge fashion brand which typically means around 5k images a year which isn't a massive amount but they all matter. I also run a Firey on a production Xerox Versant 80 for nothing more than colour correctness, yes that's 12k worth of Firey just so it's colour correct and fast. then I run dream colour Z display calibrated monitors on my work machine just to be sure.
I look forward to that bud and good work

Soldato

For what it is worth anybody looking in thinking why even bother? I agree! I mean if I see image 1 and have no reference point then does it really matter? For me it's more about on screen vs print/render as I do an awful lot of colour correct work.

Fair dues to you for going to all this effort!!

I am one of those people who are saying why bother. But, I am interested to see how this little experiment plays out.

V F

V F

Soldato
On a modern TV you should have these options on HDMI:

Untitled.jpg

From AMD driver. Most TVs are YCBCR 4:4:4:4 I think, which is the default.

Obviously anything less than that isn't going to look as nice.

No, they are not. You'd need the Spears and Munsil disc or something of that caliber with the correct test patterns to confirm if 4:4:4 is working correctly. Most with 1:1 pixel mapping will show blurred/garbled lines on the test patterns if 4:4:4 isn't working correctly.

Soldato
I get you. The point here is that some people may be sensitive to their monitors' outputs, for example I can not stand GeForce images, maybe only photos viewing is somewhat normal but reading news articles with their specific fonts, or playing games with that whitish fog and missing details, thanks but no ;)
Well I am almost 59.

bru

bru

Soldato
Lol. He is probably busy burning his scientific paper he was going to publish as you just killed it's premise :p

Over a decade of work wasted!

That would kinda imply that he probably older than many of us think he is.;)

Soldato
I would not want 4K8K in my corner either, he keeps scoring own goals left right and center. He is just making you and your argument look bad.

End of the day I am happy for more people to only buy AMD cards. They need all the market share they can get. But I will be jumping back to the dark side once again as soon as the RTX 3070 is released :D

In the case i am speaking about it was 2 x 4k monitors with a much more expensive Nvidia card and monitor. The Nvidia setup had all the advantages and to my eyes the AMD visual were better to me. I was not looking to see if there was tree's missing and all that it was more clarity and colour. I have gamed on many Nvidia systems over the years (not my own) and they are fine. Once you sit down and game all this visual talk is out of the window as i wanna play the game, Nvidia make good cards and give a great experience just as AMD do. If Nvidia were priced in my bang for buck range i would have considered them every bit as much as AMD. Just always seems that i think they are over the budget for what they are going to offer. Surprised that you have your eyes on a 3070 though as deciding before facts is not a good buying decision. It could be a proper dog priced at £500. People make good decisions when there are facts and right now i have no clue if the 3070 is gonna be any good and what it's competition will be. I expect it to be decent but surely you will see reviews first before making a decision.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
In the case i am speaking about it was 2 x 4k monitors with a much more expensive Nvidia card and monitor. The Nvidia setup had all the advantages and to my eyes the AMD visual were better to me. I was not looking to see if there was tree's missing and all that it was more clarity and colour. I have gamed on many Nvidia systems over the years (not my own) and they are fine. Once you sit down and game all this visual talk is out of the window as i wanna play the game, Nvidia make good cards and give a great experience just as AMD do. If Nvidia were priced in my bang for buck range i would have considered them every bit as much as AMD. Just always seems that i think they are over the budget for what they are going to offer. Surprised that you have your eyes on a 3070 though as deciding before facts is not a good buying decision. It could be a proper dog priced at £500. People make good decisions when there are facts and right now i have no clue if the 3070 is gonna be any good and what it's competition will be. I expect it to be decent but surely you will see reviews first before making a decision.

Don’t be silly, of course I will look at reviews before buying. But as someone who has been upgrading his graphics cards for two decades I know roughly what to expect. Are you really telling me the 3070 won’t offer at the very least 20% more performance than a 2070$ and at least double the RT performance? That is the minimum I am expecting, it will probably be more. Not to mention with time the performance gap will get bigger vs the 2070$.

Regarding AMD image quality, the difference you are seeing is the colours man. You can make both cards colours the same if you want. Basically what you are saying is you like the vibrancy of the out of the box AMD cards. I noticed that also. But I calibrate my monitor every time I change a card or around every 6 months and this helps. Also consider, some brains/eyes will prefer certain colours more than others. It is a very subjective area. So I do believe you are likely seeing something better when you look at the AMD cards, but that does not mean that is better for everyone. You could very likely adjust Nvidia’s colours to match it anyways.

End of the day you do you. As I said, I am happy people go exclusively AMD, as they really do need all the market share they can get. As long as people do not try and come here and say their subjective experience is a fact without making the effort to back it up properly it’s all good. So far no one in this thread has been able to prove AMD is better unfortunately. All that has happened is some people’s bias has shown and others complete lack of common sense and knowledge have been displayed. Been a good laugh really :D

By the way, I do not want to come of as some kind of pro or something. I get **** wrong and learn all the time which causes me to reevaluate my beliefs. But I try and keep an open mind, unlike many here who seem to fight for their beliefs even after proven wrong. Way too much confirmation bias being shown in this thread also.

Soldato
Don’t be silly, of course I will look at reviews before buying. But as someone who has been upgrading his graphics cards for two decades I know roughly what to expect. Are you really telling me the 3070 won’t offer at the very least 20% more performance than a 2070$ and at least double the RT performance? That is the minimum I am expecting, it will probably be more. Not to mention with time the performance gap will get bigger vs the 2070$.

Regarding AMD image quality, the difference you are seeing is the colours man. You can make both cards colours the same if you want. Basically what you are saying is you like the vibrancy of the out of the box AMD cards. I noticed that also. But I calibrate my monitor every time I change a card or around every 6 months and this helps. Also consider, some brains/eyes will prefer certain colours more than others. It is a very subjective area. So I do believe you are likely seeing something better when you look at the AMD cards, but that does not mean that is better for everyone. You could very likely adjust Nvidia’s colours to match it anyways.

End of the day you do you. As I said, I am happy people go exclusively AMD, as they really do need all the market share they can get. As long as people do not try and come here and say their subjective experience is a fact without making the effort to back it up properly it’s all good. So far no one in this thread has been able to prove AMD is better unfortunately. All that has happened is some people’s bias has shown and others complete lack of common sense and knowledge have been displayed. Been a good laugh really :D

By the way, I do not want to come of as some kind of pro or something. I get **** wrong and learn all the time which causes me to reevaluate my beliefs. But I try and keep an open mind, unlike many here who seem to fight for their beliefs even after proven wrong. Way too much confirmation bias being shown in this thread also.

I will tell you to stop acting daft as you will definitely get the boost in gpu performance. The problem i see is you are doing a lot of guess work on RT performance along with price. The lessons i have learned is expect to be unimpressed as time passes and be willing to pay a lot more for it.

On the colours you are most probably right and everyone should do what you are saying before they make a proper decision. proper calibration tools are more money though. I think Nvidia should have it right out of the box though and we wouldn't be talking. I feel no real need to do it with AMD as the visuals to me are fine.

I never said i am exclusively AMD, my first PC which got me into PC gaming was Nvidia. It's just when i buy i don't see why i would spend the extra on them. I don't buy as often as you though so we have different habits. Each to there own man. It's been a lol for ages in here as you can see due to tech slowing down imo but respect you as you make sense.

Back
Top Bottom