Car Hit by Drunk Driver

Associate
Looks as though it really is Rover for the driver, and the car too.

I hope this is resolved quickly for you and your neighbours and that another drink driver is taken off the road. Seems crazy that people even consider driving after drinking.

Soldato
OP
The question on the lips of the entire forum appears to have been missed - bumping for OP to comment !

(Hope all is well Bear, sorry to see the damage, some incredible force on those wheels there ! I imagine the suspension is a bit fubar'd also? )

Haha, no some old man drove into that whilst parked up as well and wrote it off ages ago, and thanks. The garage picked it up yesterday so I will find out soon what the damage is.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No, the roadside ones only give a pass or fail. They then get taken to the station to get a proper one done, so don’t know after that.

The ones I use give a proper reading. They're also pretty accurate but not allowed to be used as an evidential sample although the Home Office did look at changing the law to allow that. Not changed yet though.

Her insurance would be invalid because she was drunk behind the wheel ?

Not for third party liability. It's incredibly difficult for insurance companies not to pay third party claims if a policy has not been cancelled due to obligations under the Road Traffic Act.

They will almost 100% void her policy.
They will then sort the OP out based on complying with the RTA and then they will go after her for this amount.
(I used to work for an insurance co, and the team who dealt with is were actually very close to me, it was how I found out one of my mates had had his insurance voided because of non-declaration of significant modifications!)

She will become very difficult to insure for a few years. The question will then be will she just go screw it and carry on driving with a revoked licence and no insurance... Thats when she truly becomes dangerous to the rest of us.

Soldato
They will almost 100% void her policy.
They will then sort the OP out based on complying with the RTA and then they will go after her for this amount.
(I used to work for an insurance co, and the team who dealt with is were actually very close to me, it was how I found out one of my mates had had his insurance voided because of non-declaration of significant modifications!)

She will become very difficult to insure for a few years. The question will then be will she just go screw it and carry on driving with a revoked licence and no insurance... Thats when she truly becomes dangerous to the rest of us.

I’ve often wondered about this: surely it isn’t worthwhile for insurers to go after people in many of these situations? Someone driving an old Rover is unlikely to have the cash lying around to even make a dent in the amount of a claim like this. So what happens if the person at fault can’t pay?

Soldato
If the Insuarnce companies publicized that folks would be pursued for the monies (probably bankrupt them) then that would be a double deterrant.

with availibility of an alcohol interlock on future cars - an interesting tweak on future drink driving punishment would be mandatory alcohol interlock, like an ankle tag;
with that and the data recorders premiums should go down (... for the remainers )

I’ve often wondered about this: surely it isn’t worthwhile for insurers to go after people in many of these situations? Someone driving an old Rover is unlikely to have the cash lying around to even make a dent in the amount of a claim like this. So what happens if the person at fault can’t pay?

Installments etc, charge over assets

Soldato
I'm still not sure how this interlock would work, would it have a scottish and and england setting? What about if you go across to europe? I'm just not sure how useful it would be (whats to stop somebody using a squeezy bottle to fool it into thinking its being breathed into).

And what happens if they don’t have any assets and refuse to pay the instalments? Do insurers normally take them to court over it? Seems hardly worth it as the legal fees would outweigh any money recovered.

Yes they absolutely do take them to court. Just because someone hasn't got funds now doesn't stop that changing in the future.
Legal fees aren't that bad (well not for the one I worked for but assume all/most work the same), solicitor with a small team, all in house.

Most people wouldn't defend a DD case (or similar, we are talking some other offences here if the insurance is voided and payouts were made)

Its also about protecting their business. I knew of cases where PIs were used that cost 10X the value of the claim, just because the number of chargeable days had not been used and they would have had to pay no matter what.
Funny when investigated low value claims were often fraudulent. (One favourite was a Sky one that paid your Sky if you were redundant, people often started the claim fairly, but "forgot" to say when they got a new job)

I'm still not sure how this interlock would work, would it have a scottish and and england setting? What about if you go across to europe? I'm just not sure how useful it would be (whats to stop somebody using a squeezy bottle to fool it into thinking its being breathed into).

The one I heard about, some years ago, was it was optional. But if you wanted you could use it, and if you failed it would stop you driving, forcing a retest before you could drive.

I think its along the lines of a you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink approach.

Also if caught DD with an equipped car, any defence of oh i didnt think I would still have it in me is negated, clearly you know when you have drunk something, and as such should test yourself as its available.

Hopefully it will see a law change and require all vehicles to carry a test, the single use ones are cheap but not that accessible, if everyone had to carry them they would be all over. No excuses left. (IIRC you need to carry them in some countries in Europe already)

Is there any evidence that making people carry these has any effect? As someone who doesn't drink alcohol at all I would find having to carry and pay for extra rubbish because others can't handle themselves somewhat irritating.

Fair point

I know that anecdotally when people have had the devices they have used them, but thats by no means a certainty the more hardcore drinkers will take any notice.

Like I said, the cost of the one off usage ones is like a pound each, but it will cost you more in P&P to have just one.

Its no different to having spare bulbs or anything else with motoring to my mind. The requirement to have something because of the few is something that some authorities will do.
I guess you will be more miffed having to pay for a whole system in future in cars then if the interlock takes place.

Soldato
OP
Well just got a call from the garage after the assessor did their thing. Looks like they are pretty much replacing the front axle, suspension and alloy wheels, the drivers side wing mirror and paint the drivers side door and front quarter at a cost of over £14k and take a month to complete.

Soldato
Well just got a call from the garage after the assessor did their thing. Looks like they are pretty much replacing the front axle, suspension and alloy wheels, the drivers side wing mirror and paint the drivers side door and front quarter at a cost of over £14k and take a month to complete.
How much is it worth?

Back
Top Bottom