Show us your kitty cats

Man of Honour
What a handsome chap (and a great photo as well) :cool:
Thank you :) Angel is a 'she'. My daughter took the picture. As per my story a few pages back we inherited her after my mum and her partner died recently. She's quite elderly, has always been a very nervous cat and usually avoids people (she was a rescue cat before my mum gave her a home). But over the last two months she's started to get more affectionate and follows my daughter and me around. She usually likes being in the room with us but at a distance. Tonight she actually jumped up on the sofa and cuddled up to me while I stroked her. That may not seem a big thing for most cat owners but it's a dramatic change for her and so nice to see that she's becoming comfortable with us and actually wanting affection. She's never done that before. Even at my mums she rarely wanted to be stroked. We all love her to bits and I'm completely converted now from a dog person to a cat person :) I want to pick her up and give her a big hug but I know I have to give her the space and time she needs. For the first few weeks she wouldn't go outside without me. I'd have to go out with her and stand a few feet away from the door so she knew there was a safe protected space between the door, her and me. But she's now going outside on her own which is also lovely to see.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Garfield has sussed out how to come in using the cat flap at last. What cat litter are you guys using? We currently use the wood pellet stuff but with three cats, two of which are mostly indoor cats, we are filling up out green waste bin really quickly plus it's very heavy as well. That bin only gets emptied every three weeks so it's a big problem. We have tried clay based litter in the past but Jade didn't like it and the mess was terrible. I feel it's time to try something different but the quality ones are very expensive compared to our wood pellet one (£6.99 for 30ltr bag) and if they don't like it that's more money down the drain.

Last edited:
Associate
Garfield has sussed out how to come in using the cat flap at last. What cat litter are you guys using? We currently use the wood pellet stuff but with three cats, two of which are mostly indoor cats, we are filling up out green waste bin really quickly plus it's very heavy as well. That bin only gets emptied every three weeks so it's a big problem. We have tried clay based litter in the past but Jade didn't like it and the mess was terrible. I feel it's time to try something different but the quality ones are very expensive compared to our wood pellet one (6.99 for 60ltr bag) and if they don't like it that's more money down the drain.
Where are you finding 60 litres of wood pellets for £6.99?
I've been paying about £10-£12 for 30 litres, delivered

Soldato
Took Ronnie back to Vet this afternoon for a check up on his ear infection - She washed his ear out and had a good look and the swelling has gone down and it isn't inflamed anymore so all we have to do now is put 0.5ml of drops in his ear twice a day and hope for the best.
Also paid a high three figure vets bill as the insurance denied the claim.
We had two cats for 18 years and they only cost us a few hundred quid - Holly and Ronnie have wiped out our emergence money.
It was nice having Ronnie on my lap earlier and giving him a gentle comb to smooth his fur down.

Man of Honour
Took Ronnie back to Vet this afternoon for a check up on his ear infection - She washed his ear out and had a good look and the swelling has gone down and it isn't inflamed anymore so all we have to do now is put 0.5ml of drops in his ear twice a day and hope for the best.
Also paid a high three figure vets bill as the insurance denied the claim.
We had two cats for 18 years and they only cost us a few hundred quid - Holly and Ronnie have wiped out our emergence money.
It was nice having Ronnie on my lap earlier and giving him a gentle comb to smooth his fur down.

One of ours had an eye infection. I was in the vet for 10 minutes - £85 later :eek:

Soldato
Here is Vespa :)

I've had her since Sunday. She pretty much spends all day on my lap or the edge of the chair. Apart from an hour of whizzing round the house causing chaos :p

Any tips for getting her to use the scratch post instead of my carpet?

aqGh9Bzr.jpg

Man of Honour
Here is Vespa :)

I've had her since Sunday. She pretty much spends all day on my lap or the edge of the chair. Apart from an hour of whizzing round the house causing chaos :p

Any tips for getting her to use the scratch post instead of my carpet?

aqGh9Bzr.jpg

Drag her paws gently on it a few times, play around it with her. Have you got a room with a hard floor that it and her can go in so that it stands out more to her? It does take time.

Associate
Some cats like to scratch on the same location over and over. Maybe just try putting the post on that spot or nearby if possible.

Soldato
I have metre /just over 3 feet to us oldies lol tall scratch post
Fostering a kitten/young cat that wouldn't use it
2 things worked first one was tying it's favourite toy to top of post and wiggling the toy about so if want it gotta climb post
2nd was similar just used my hand to make scratching noises at top of post on the rear where it could hear it but not see it
3rd option use a laser pointer on the scratch post or moving around then up the scratch post~I prefer green over red as its much more visible ~even my fat old boy gets a real shift on him chasing that. Just picking up the laser gets him at attention even before I turn it on lol
With green lasers they can see the whole beam by the way not just a dot~looks funny first time you see them attacking what looks like mid air. But if you point a green laser just to the side of your head you will actually see the beam even if it's not visible pointed away from you . Obviously mind their eyes especially with green or blue lasers won't do damage but would certainly dazzle them and leave them seeing dots for a while
Curiosity overcame everything though soon realised you need fast reflexes doing that as he literally hit the top of the post in the blink of an eye
Cats almost always movement or scratching noises work
Though some cats are faster learners than others so main trick to it all is just patience
But it's instinctive in them to scratch and to stretch upwards while doing it if it's possible ~guess that's the show other cats who is the biggest from when they were wild animals . So a taller post in my opinion works best

On a side note how are you showing your pictures here?
I tried imgur but only shows a link not actual image like I want... Thanks

Ps. If someone replies not ignoring them have a 15 post in 24 hours limit problem my end which mods /admins trying to sort for me

Back
Top Bottom