Huel: The Future of Food ..

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Top tip, never forget to wash your shaker when done.

Its bad....really really really bad. Nothing natural about it.

Soldato
Top tip, never forget to wash your shaker when done.

I chugged a shake for breakfast before going on holiday and left it out of the fridge after...was out for a week.

The smell :eek:

It's all natural though, just the by product of bacteria that have been feasting on the nutritious goop...

Soldato

It's all natural though, just the by product of bacteria that have been feasting on the nutritious goop...

Exactly. You'd be a bit worried if it was fine days later... I remember a tip I heard. If you leave various products on your kitchen work surface and go on holiday. The one's that looks fine when you come home, are the ones you generally should not be buying ...or something along those lines.

Soldato
Exactly. You'd be a bit worried if it was fine days later... I remember a tip I heard. If you leave various products on your kitchen work surface and go on holiday. The one's that looks fine when you come home, are the ones you generally should not be buying ...or something along those lines.

The stink from old Huel, it's similar to rotting meat, so I guess it's some kind of sulfite by product of the protein breaking down. Same reason Huel farts are grim. It's nutritious!

Soldato

Seen that before, it was a slice of bread Vs a slice of that square cheese.
The cheese never changed even after months scary really.

Soldato
On this page it says

The carbs in Huel Powder are from ultra-fine powdered oats. Oats have been shown to have a low glycemic index (GI); GI refers to how long it takes between ingesting a carb source and the resulting rise in blood sugar and, hence, energy levels[2]. The oats in Huel Powder mix easily and help sustain energy levels until the next meal.

The oat powder in Huel Powder has been milled so fine that it’s readily soluble and there’s also not a huge price difference from maltodextrin. Plus, as oats are natural, they provide so much more than just carbohydrate: many vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients, too. Indeed, it could be said that the inclusion of oat powder is one of the main reasons why Huel Powder could be considered superior to many foods readily consumed today.

Doesn't 'milling the oats so fine' mean that the oats will no longer have a low GI? Seems like it's totally wrong to brag about how oats have a great GI but then say they mill the heck out of them, and still claim Huel is great because of the GI of oats.

Soldato
On this page it says

Doesn't 'milling the oats so fine' mean that the oats will no longer have a low GI? Seems like it's totally wrong to brag about how oats have a great GI but then say they mill the heck out of them, and still claim Huel is great because of the GI of oats.
Ask them, they are very good at answering questions.

Soldato

Why would milling them change the GI? Tbf, I don't know anything about this, but the two don't seem to connect. That's almost like saying don't chew your food and the GI will be better...

Soldato
Why would milling them change the GI? Tbf, I don't know anything about this, but the two don't seem to connect. That's almost like saying don't chew your food and the GI will be better...
It's to do with how long your gut takes to extract the energy from it, so it does make sense
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28572083

Your point about chewing more or less is quite interesting though!

Soldato
Interesting, but a bit over my head. Does this bit not hint they aren't that different GI?
That's referring to the oat flakes, as opposed to the oat flour. So I think that means the structure of the non-ground up oat flakes stayed intact despite chewing, digestion etc., compared to the oat flour. Especially when you read in the context of the whole page and the title, that interpretation makes more sense

Soldato
On this page it says

It's kind of a no win situation though in reality, lumpy oats and people will complain the drink isn't smooth enough.

Powdered oats and people will complain it's too processed and start banging on about GI.

Your view is basically a fallacy unless you want to engineer new plants.

Soldato
It's kind of a no win situation though in reality, lumpy oats and people will complain the drink isn't smooth enough.

Powdered oats and people will complain it's too processed and start banging on about GI.

Your view is basically a fallacy unless you want to engineer new plants.
I have no problem with powdered oats and understand clearly that chunky oats won't be drinkable in the same format. Just don't use powdered oats yet claim they have all the GI goodness of plain rolled oats.

Soldato
Tbf, I don't think they do claim that. They say there are milled oats. They say oats have a low GI. Even if we agree milling them will increase their GI, have we decided by how much? Surely at a molecular level they would still be quite low?

Back
Top Bottom