Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
The new one is out and a slightly different take on the original product in terms of macros...

Brand new! Huel Black Edition contains 50% less carbs, 33% more protein, zero artificial sweeteners, and is naturally gluten-free. And still contains all 26 essential vitamins and minerals, essential fats, fibre, and phytonutrients.

Soldato
Huel is absolutely rancid to eat, it's how I imagine the slop from the nebuchadnezzar in the matrix tastes like. I have no idea how people can eat it, even in smoothies it's just vile.

Soldato
I don't get how anyone can describe it as rancid, if anything it's a bit bland tasting, but you can add flavours or additional ingredients if you want.

Brand new! Huel Black Edition contains 50% less carbs, 33% more protein

Interesting addition but surely that's just a protein shake rather than a balanced meal?

Soldato
A protein shake is purely protein, usually with a small amount of carbs or fat if it's flavoured. Huel Black is still nutritionally complete, just balanced differently:

Reg. Huel = 29g protein, 38g carb, 13g fat p/100g
Huel Black Edition = 40g protein, 17g carb, 18g fat p/100g

Lower-carb version, basically (they've replaced the oats with tapioca), so less carbs per gram of Huel = higher protein and fat respectively. There's still a good hit of fibre, all the same vitamins/minerals etc.

Soldato
Huel is absolutely rancid to eat, it's how I imagine the slop from the nebuchadnezzar in the matrix tastes like. I have no idea how people can eat it, even in smoothies it's just vile.
I don't know anyone can describe it as rancid. I rather enjoy it, bit I happen to like the taste of oats and vanilla, which is what it tastes of.
I might give 3.0 a go and also try black.

Soldato
A protein shake is purely protein, usually with a small amount of carbs or fat if it's flavoured. Huel Black is still nutritionally complete, just balanced differently:

Reg. Huel = 29g protein, 38g carb, 13g fat p/100g
Huel Black Edition = 40g protein, 17g carb, 18g fat p/100g

Lower-carb version, basically (they've replaced the oats with tapioca), so less carbs per gram of Huel = higher protein and fat respectively. There's still a good hit of fibre, all the same vitamins/minerals etc.

Not arguing but 29g of protein per serving is fairly high anyway, it's debatable whether you can process 40g in one serving... If you can surely you're better off boosting your protein intake via a pure protein powder?

Soldato
The new one is out and a slightly different take on the original product in terms of macros...

To be clear, I don't think 'Black' is 'the new one'. It is a new one, but v3.0 is the new one we've been talking about. Black is a different one with, as you say, different macros.

Surely that depends on which one you tried? It's a little like trying one flavour of ice cream and branding them all to be horrible. I have Chocolate and Berry and love those two. As said, I don't know what you're doing to them to make them 'rancid', but I think you're doing it wrong.

Soldato
Got my months delivery in 3.0...interested to see what's changed? Got a bit of 2.3 to finish up first.

Anyone saying it's rancid are talking out of their poophole. It's a shake. It tastes like, a shake, it's fine. It's a convenient way to get a decent amount of regular protein with zero effort when you're training hard.

Soldato
Finally got into my V3.0...the coffee one is way better, proper coffee taste. Less of the chunky bits too, thumbs up for the product.

Thumbs down for increasing the scoop size by 20% :mad:

Soldato
My first batch of 3.0 is due in an hour. I went Chocolate and a Vanilla one.

When you say scoop size, are you referring to the calories? You don't get an actual scoop anyway, right?

I was thinking about that, I used to have 2 or 2½ scoops depending on if it was breakfast or a main meal. I guess I just need to do a little maths on it to make it the same. How much water is supposed to be used per scoop of 3.0? I usually just put 400ml in, but now it will be less powder for the same calories, right?

Soldato
You only get a scoop with new customer orders.

My lunch is 3 scoops, and fill the shaker up with water (then in the fridge). I gave up measuring ages ago, pretty much have it sorted now.

Currently 3 scoops is 450 kcal. What would the new 3 scoops be?

Soldato
Okay, I stand corrected, they've actually changed the scoop size. I guess you could just do the maths and keep using your old scoop though?

HlvZQZfh.jpg

They sent two new scoops and also a new shaker... which I guess is nice of them.

**EDIT**

So it appears the calories per gram are the same. my 2½ came out around 98g, so two scoops of the new gives me the same calories. I guess you could just keep using your old scoops? (Mind you, for me a level scoop weighed 55g, so be aware)

NplEYmN.jpg

(New at the back, up high. Old in front, below)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm onto 3.0 as well now and very happy with it. It's a bit smoother, runnier and the brown flakes are smaller.

Being runnier makes blending it in the Breville much easier; same amount of powder and water but doesn't bog down the blender like it used to.

The new scoop seems far more solid that the old ones but it's far too wide. It is roughly 50g per level scoop though but it takes 2secs to switch the scales on and just weigh it all though I find.

Soldato
I've been using a different scoop so I can have it in 50g increments which is simpler for my slow morning brain maths :) black edition looks interesting, I'll try it once I'm through the rest of my current batch.

Soldato
I can't remember if I tried the earlier Vanilla, but 3.0 vanilla is gorgeous!

Also, the person that said Huel is vial, I wonder if they tried plain Huel? I tried it with some fruit last week... wow, I couldn't drink it. Really bad indeed.

Back
Top Bottom