What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
I don’t get the love for Rogue One at all. It’s split into three very distinct and linear segments and is quite boring on a rewatch particularly ‘Planet X’ and ‘Planet Y’ - only third planet ‘Z’ with the antenna is a bit more interesting. The supporting ‘monk’ and ‘heavy weapon’ characters are a bit rubbish and super cliched. The robot is awesome though.

I think RO gets a little overpraised because people like the grittier vibe and the darker moments (notably Vader going nuts) which is fun and novel but overall it just feels too... narrow and dry, to me.

I actually preferred Solo... but in that film I’m definitely docking points for that annoying robot. Definitely the worst character in any SW film.

Soldato
I don’t get the love for Rogue One at all. It’s split into three very distinct and linear segments and is quite boring on a rewatch particularly ‘Planet X’ and ‘Planet Y’ - only third planet ‘Z’ with the antenna is a bit more interesting. The supporting ‘monk’ and ‘heavy weapon’ characters are a bit rubbish and super cliched. The robot is awesome though.

I think RO gets a little overpraised because people like the grittier vibe and the darker moments (notably Vader going nuts) which is fun and novel but overall it just feels too... narrow and dry, to me.

I actually preferred Solo... but in that film I’m definitely docking points for that annoying robot. Definitely the worst character in any SW film.

It gets praise because it isn't utterly terrible like the other Disney star wars films ;)

It's the only half decent one since 1983...

Soldato
Just finished watching Split. Certainly.. weird and interesting, with some upsetting moments

I knew it was about split personalities but the way colleagues joked about it I thought it would be more light hearted. I thought James mcAvoy was brilliant at portraying the different characters

Soldato
Chinatown

Lady friend had never seen it before. Was a little apprehensive as it's without a doubt my favourite movie of all time and I really wanted her to like it. Thankfully, she genuinely seemed to take something away from it :)

It is one of the few examples of a 'perfect' movie I can think of. That doesn't contribute to it being my favourite movie, but I honestly believe it to be true in the sense that everyone involved did the absolute best they could in every regard. It is seamless. I've never finished it and thought 'meh, didn't get as much out of it this time', quite the opposite in fact. It's just a perfect story told flawlessly with great attention to detail.

Anyone who even remotely classes themselves as a bit of a 'cinephile' has almost certainly seen it already but if you haven't then I cannot recommend it enough.

Thanks for reminding me about this film; I need to give it another go. I tried watching this about a year ago after a very long day, and unlike me, I fell asleep watching it! Nothing to do with the film.

Soldato

I quite enjoy the segment on Planet Y...that's the LV426 style one right :D

For me it just hits the right notes, it feels like the star wars universe created in lucas' original trilogy. It's good to see the rebels getting their hands dirty, not the all clean good guys we've already seen all the way through. If you want to go full edgelord, you could directly compare the scene in which the rebels bomb and ambush the storm troopers in the marketplace to jihadists ambushing and bombing US soldiers in irag/afghanistan. Hugely simplified of course.

There is a genuine air of desperation, you actually feel like the imperials are subjugating the universe, there is fear of their rule. Of course...there is also that Vader scene, the only time we've actually seen him use his powers as Vader, the only time we fully understand why he is so feared.

My only disappointment in the movie is the poor female lead and rubber dinghy rapids traitor.

In a top list, ANH/ESB would be at the top but for me at least, there isn't another feature movie i'd say is better than Rogue One.

Solo does have it's moments and doesn't deserve the hate heaped upon it. I enjoy it and i've watched it twice but doubt i'll watch it again for a good decade. Rogue One on the other hand i've watched at least 5 times already.

Soldato
Just finished watching Split. Certainly.. weird and interesting, with some upsetting moments

I knew it was about split personalities but the way colleagues joked about it I thought it would be more light hearted. I thought James mcAvoy was brilliant at portraying the different characters

Hope you stuck around for the end credits ;)

Soldato
I did indeed (if you mean the diner clip)

It's been a long time since I watched Unbreakable and only watched it once. Thinking I might watch it again to refresh my memory and then watch Glass

Glass is a huge disappointment after Split :(

McAvoy is excellent as his assorted personalities, the moment in Split when he's in the psychiatrists chair and switches personality, it's almost like his physical appearance changes, he is just that good.

Soldato
I liked Split not sure I've ever seen Unbreakable so :o Never got round to Glass after the 'meh' reviews.

I really liked Red Sparrow. J Law gets all kindas of nekkid too.

Unbreakable is by far the best in the trilogy, if you can call it a trilogy. I liked Split well enough and thought Glass was just OK, but compared to Unbreakable they were quite a dissapointment for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Extraction (2020) - 6/10

Simple and clichéd plot and characters which are functional but nothing special.

Good action scenes and use of its setting, but too much camera shaking in the chase scenes and outside of the action, it can be very slow as it tries to be emotional and thoughtful.

There’s some tension and surprises amongst the trail of carnage and bodies and it is entertaining with a suitably climactic finale.

Associate
Real Genius (1985)

"Teenage geniuses deal with their abilities while developing a high-powered laser for a university project. When their professor intends to turn their work into a military weapon, they decide to ruin his plans."

An '80s favourite.

Caporegime
Nowhere Boy.

Available on YouTube. Pretty darn good, shows the early life of John Lennon. Well worth watching.

The whole cast does a great job (the chap that plays Lennon is excellent).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just watched Birds of Prey and like the previous posters it was just boring and had nothing memorable at all in it. I would have enjoyed it more if it just had Bruce for the whole film as he was the most entertaining character.

Someone name me a good film where all the leading characters are women. All the ones I've watched recently have been dire (Ghostbusters, Charlies Angels, Oceans 8, Birds of Prey). Only one that comes to mind for me is Sucker Punch which isn't exactly a movie classic lol.

The Widows 2018

Annihilation 2018

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom