• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

Soldato
Meh. At this point I'm convinced this whole demo situation is mostly a lot of fluff. I'm just gonna wait for more details, in particular as it relates to storage space requirements and how they are going to deal with that. It's all well and good to be able to auto-lod and stream 8k textures but how are you going to store them? The Hazel Engine dev was speculating the demo itself was likely 100+ GB, so how's that gonna work for a full game? Just not enough info atm. And as I was saying about detail, here's someone recreating a part of the demo in UE4 (pay attention to how much crisper and more detailed it actually is; 4K display required):

Just smoke & mirrors, as I was saying, let the B.S. freely flow from the marketers.
Maybe we percieve things differently but there is something off about the rock textures in the open space, especially on the right side.
Also isn't that a pre-rendered video? I don't see how anyone would look around a scene like that using either a mouse or controller.

Edit: Also i swear some people are arguing in bad faith. I may be misremembering but has anyone actually said that they believe that all/some games will look like that unreal demo? or are some people making assumptions on what they think other people are thinking?

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit: Also i swear some people are arguing in bad faith. I may be misremembering but has anyone actually said that they believe that all/some games will look like that unreal demo? or are some people making assumptions on what they think other people are thinking?

Seems to be plenty in the PS5 thread trying to argue this. Or at least trying to argue that anyone suggesting PS5 games might not look this good is clearly wrong. After all, it's "playable", so it must be representative...

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe we percieve things differently but there is something off about the rock textures in the open space, especially on the right side.
Also isn't that a pre-rendered video? I don't see how anyone would look around a scene like that using either a mouse or controller.

First, are you watching on a 4K screen from appropriate distance? Second, it's not pre-rendered, it's rendered in real time then exported as a video. Nothing stops you from moving around in the world, this is built in the UE4 editor just like any other game, and indeed as the Rebirth Demo was done (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQJkSpOoOQ). And indeed, you can bet the UE5 demo was done likewise.

As for bad faith, yeah, lots of people argue in bad faith, and even more people lack reading comprehension at the most basic level. Just the way the internet is sadly. That's why you gotta be very selective with how you engage in dialogue (and if it's even possible in the first place), lest you waste a whole LOT of time pointlessly.

Man of Honour
Meh. At this point I'm convinced this whole demo situation is mostly a lot of fluff. I'm just gonna wait for more details, in particular as it relates to storage space requirements and how they are going to deal with that. It's all well and good to be able to auto-lod and stream 8k textures but how are you going to store them? The Hazel Engine dev was speculating the demo itself was likely 100+ GB, so how's that gonna work for a full game? Just not enough info atm. And as I was saying about detail, here's someone recreating a part of the demo in UE4 (pay attention to how much crisper and more detailed it actually is; 4K display required):

Just smoke & mirrors, as I was saying, let the B.S. freely flow from the marketers.

I suspect to keep storage space down they will be using some type of descriptive compression system that procedurally recreates something close to the original geometry/detail which is maybe causing some temporal issues they are having to hide which results in a softness to the image you don't get with explicit detail.

EDIT: Especially when you are potentially pulling from a significant amount of data per-pixel and having to decide which is the most relevant to render which might change from frame to frame in close proximity time wise.

Soldato
It took years for the PS4 to get truly impressive looking titles like God of War. I mean impressive as in this really doesn't look too bad considering I've played PC titles on much more capable hardware. It will be the same for the PS5.

Couldn't believe how good Horizon Zero Dawn looked on my PS4 Slim, not many games on PC up to that level.

Soldato
First, are you watching on a 4K screen from appropriate distance?

No but it is irrelevant IMO (unless you have a reason why it isn't). I'm comrparing a 1080p video to another 1080p video. I do not think that the issue i am talking about will disappear due to a change in resolution.

Upon second viewing it seems to be a lighting issue that i picked up on earlier. There is also something up with the video that makes it difficult on the eyes to watch.

Second, it's not pre-rendered, it's rendered in real time then exported as a video. Nothing stops you from moving around in the world, snip....

I used the wrong terminology it should have said rendered in-engine. Running real time means it has a frame rate (from my understanding). What's the point of this comparison, without a reference to the frame rate and machine specs? It could be running at 10fps it would technically be real time.
Note: We are both making an assumption here since the video author has not specified if it is an in-engine render or a real time screen capture or interactive.

this is built in the UE4 editor just like any other game, and indeed as the Rebirth Demo was done (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQJkSpOoOQ). And indeed, you can bet the UE5 demo was done likewise.

I briefly skimmed a small section and i am assuming that this is describing the process they use to get high poly assest and reduce them down to work in unreal 4?
If it then i will have to ask what point are you trying to make? The assets for the unreal demo is on their website (https://quixel.com/megascans/collec...nt&category=natural&category=limestone-quarry). If you click on any of the stones in the link you'll see that they offer different LODs, so just because someone is using the same assets in their unreal 4 tests doesn't mean it has the same LOD.

If this supposed to support your argument that you had when you orginally posted with the other video then my response is that it doesn't support your argument. You would need to show that unreal 4 is capable of handling the same detail of data, on the same specification of machine and output a similar performance result, not just image quality.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Couldn't believe how good Horizon Zero Dawn looked on my PS4 Slim, not many games on PC up to that level.

Same when I played it on my PS4 Pro. However, it did sound like it was going to spontaneously combust.

Spider Man is the only other title to do that to my PS4.

Soldato
Yeah, HZD is really amazing, especially when you consider the age of the hardware it’s running on. When it gets released on PC, I’d love to have the time to knock together a little rig as close to the PS4 specs as you can get to do some comparisons, just for fun :p

Soldato
No but it is irrelevant IMO (unless you have a reason why it isn't). I'm comrparing a 1080p video to another 1080p video. I do not think that the issue i am talking about will disappear due to a change in resolution.

Come back with the same conviction once you have properly demo'ed it. We can't speak the same language until then because the detail differences I'm talking about are precisely what change with different resolutions, to say nothing of the abysmal bitrate 1080p has. Seeing is believing ;)

Soldato

For the price of the machine it is quite a stunning looking game. God of war I thought looked really good.

The only downside is the pro’s 30fps or less and it’s noise levels when playing 4k.

There are a number of games that do look insane and comparing RDR2 in 4k on ps4 pro and on a high end PC the difference is very apparent aside from the 30vs60fps. The pro doesn’t look half as good. I’d imagine HZD on pc would look insane.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For the price of the machine it is quite a stunning looking game. God of war I thought looked really good.

The only downside is the pro’s 30fps or less and it’s noise levels when playing 4k.

There are a number of games that do look insane and comparing RDR2 in 4k on ps4 pro and on a high end PC the difference is very apparent aside from the 30vs60fps. The pro doesn’t look half as good. I’d imagine HZD on pc would look insane.
It is first party exclusive games that usually look very good on PS4 Pro I found. Just makes developing and getting the most out of the system easier I imagine.

After thinking about I decided I will not bother getting the PS5 on launch and give it time for some first party exclusives to come out. By then the price will drop also.

Soldato
I suspect to keep storage space down they will be using some type of descriptive compression system that procedurally recreates something close to the original geometry/detail which is maybe causing some temporal issues they are having to hide which results in a softness to the image you don't get with explicit detail.

EDIT: Especially when you are potentially pulling from a significant amount of data per-pixel and having to decide which is the most relevant to render which might change from frame to frame in close proximity time wise.

I noticed while watching the demo that while assets and geometry have an insane amount of raw details, the entire image looked extremely soft for 1440p so it is unlikely to be native uncompressed. Unreal Engine 5 needs some DLSS 2.0 treatment.

I don't for one second believe this demo shows that somehow we'll get a leap in graphics for free. It's very demanding and will need future high end GPUs to properly drive

Associate

Yep, that was the game that tipped me over the edge to buy a PS4 Pro. Can't wait for H:ZD2 on PS5.

Mind you, I thought Uncharted 4 and Uncharted The Lost Legacy looked as equally stunning as H:ZD.

Soldato
It took years for the PS4 to get truly impressive looking titles like God of War. I mean impressive as in this really doesn't look too bad considering I've played PC titles on much more capable hardware. It will be the same for the PS5.

Killzone: Shadow fall looked amazing and that was a launch title!

Soldato

- The streaming buffer for the demo was 768MB.

Like I said all along, the SSD hype was just marketing; the advantage was in having an SSD in the first place, not necessarily all the Sony spin on it. And ofc so many were just willing to swallow it whole.

Back
Top Bottom