• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Permabanned
So we could be looking at 25%-30% difference between the original 3000 series vs 4000 series. In which case it would be difficult not to upgrade my 4690k to a 4700x!.
Let’s be a little more reserved. This is exactly the kind of talk that leads to disappointment down the road. The only figures we have is 10-15% better than Zen2. That was pre refresh so we have absolutely nothing to say 25-30% faster. I hope they are but I’m not convinced so better to wait and see thaN unnecessarily hype for the inevitable future disappointment.

Associate
Could the architecture of the 4000 series be different enough that it can't take advantage of the additional clock speed allowed by the newer 7nm process? The 3000 has been able to benefit so I would guess they could too.

Is a scenario where the 4000 sits atop the 3000 refresh in price/performance be possible? They could launch quite near eachother, unless for former is delayed until next year.

Soldato
You are obviously not reading my posts properly then, I said RyZen 4000 is being rebranded / renamed down to RyZen 3000XT's and the news is saying RyZen 4000 is now coming in April / May next year, delayed due to covid-19

As AMD themselves said they would only support the AM4 platform until 2020, next year is 2021, so that would make RyZen 4000 a new socket,

Ryzen 4000 (Zen 3) is different than 3000XT (Zen 2). Different architecture.

Soldato
You are obviously not reading my posts properly then, I said RyZen 4000 is being rebranded / renamed down to RyZen 3000XT's and the news is saying RyZen 4000 is now coming in April / May next year, delayed due to covid-19

As AMD themselves said they would only support the AM4 platform until 2020, next year is 2021, so that would make RyZen 4000 a new socket,
Why do you keep capitalising the Z in Ryzen? It's lowercase isn't it?

Soldato
Why do you keep capitalising the Z in Ryzen? It's lowercase isn't it?

Ry....Zen (the cores) New Horizon Event plus Zen Cores made the name, Remove the Ho and change the I to a Y, thats the simple explanation, there was a bit more R&D into the naming than that, the orange circle logo is a Japanese enso, an open circle which it is means further development.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
These will just be higher binned chips with increased base and boost clocks.
They have no reflection on Zen 3 which like Panos says above is a different architecture / product.

But there has been some question over what 'enhanced overclock support' technically means.
  • Does it mean the Infinity Fabric clock will be able to be pushed a little higher at 1:1?
  • Or is it just another referral to the higher base and boost clocks for this refresh?

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD at its Financial Analyst Day 2020 presentation made a major clarification about its silicon fabrication process. It was previously believed that the company's upcoming "Zen 3" CPU microarchitecture and RDNA2 graphics architectures were based on TSMC's N7+ (7 nm EUV) silicon fabrication process because AMD would mark the two as "7 nm+" in its marketing slides. Throughout its Financial Analyst Day presentation, however, AMD avoided using that marker, and resorted to an amorphous "7 nm" marker, prompting one of the financial analysts to seek a clarification. At the time, AMD responded that they were aligning their marketing with that of TSMC, and hence chose to use "7 nm" in its new slides.

It turns out that the next step to TSMC N7, the company's current-generation 7 nm DUV silicon fabrication node, isn't N7+ (7 nm EUV), but rather it has a nodelet along the way, which the foundry refers to as N7P. This is a generational refinement of N7, but does not use EUV lithography, which means it may not offer the 15-20 percent gains in transistor densities offered by N7+ over N7. AMD clarified that "7 nm+" in its past presentations did not intend to signify N7+, and that the "+" merely denoted an improvement over N7. At the same time, it won't specify whether "Zen 3" and RDNA2 are based on N7P or N7+, so the company doesn't rule out N7+, either. We'll probably learn more as we near the late-2020 launch of "Zen 3" as EPYC "Milan

I didnt type this buy the way, I got it from tech news, New slide vs old slide:

AMD clarified that "7 nm+" in its past presentations did not intend to signify N7+, and that the "+" merely denoted an improvement over N7.

The newer slide below now shows Zen 3 7nm......not Zen 3 7nm+

6ZBfJBI.jpg

sFZsIgv.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Will have to see, remember that PBO 200 mhz that Robert did and they don’t really overclock at all...

I would expect bit higher base and bit higher boost and they call it a day. Would be nice if they had binned IMC for 1900IF but doubtful.

I don’t think the refresh is on N7P they will be keeping that for Zen 3, they will just be good bins so 4.6-4.7

By introducing these now they take wind out of 10th gen launch and then they release halo 4000 series later this year with rest coming early 2021.

Soldato
Will have to see, remember that PBO 200 mhz that Robert did and they don’t really overclock at all...

I would expect bit higher base and bit higher boost and they call it a day. Would be nice if they had binned IMC for 1900IF but doubtful.

I don’t think the refresh is on N7P they will be keeping that for Zen 3, they will just be good bins so 4.6-4.7

By introducing these now they take wind out of 10th gen launch and then they release halo 4000 series later this year with rest coming early 2021.

Yup I agree, got them all poo'ing themselves now, AMD dont need to compete with Intel, AMD are already wining, Intel has had zero IPC gains for years, all Intel have over AMD is core speed at a cost of extreme heat and stupid amounts of wattage, they are factory OC'ing there CPUs rather than you doing it yourself, Intel chips have been hitting 5ghz+ since the 8000 series, back then you were doing it yourself, now Intel are doing it for you, sorry Intel fanboy's, sad but true, and now there are 2 possible scenarios which is what ive been saying all along:

RyZen 3xxxXT are just a better binned Zen2 core (N7). and RyZen 4000 will come later this year as Zen 3 cores (N7P) which is also what you are saying.
(personally I cant see this myself, 2 CPU families within a few months of each other and only.....if we are lucky, a 7% performance increase between refined N7 and N7P, still no mention of N7+ anywhere except where AMD said they removed it because they didnt want people getting the wrong idea, which anyone who has read this whole thread will see plenty of people did)

Or RyZen 3xxxXT are Zen3 (N7P) and they just decided to change the name, tooooo........wait for it........ RyZen 3xxxXT instead of RyZen 4000 and are going to completely skip 7nm+, and still there is no mention of 7nm+ anywhere in AMD's newer slides, these so called 3xxxXT CPUs after all have just suddenly come out of the blue ? or have they, the newer 3100 and 3300 already have this change, hence the much higher overclocks - guessing.....or am I :D AMD dont need to name those 2 with an XT extension as they've not previous existed.

Then next year, when they bring out Zen4 cores, they will call that RyZen 4000, which will be 5nm, a new socket, and maybe the core and cache redesigns, no one ever said those core / cache redesigns were coming now, it was just all rumours and speculation, AMD said it would be coming, but didnt say when, and id imagine this would also require electrical changes, pins added or removed or repositioned, in essence a socket change, this will also align the naming / numbering scheme back in line with the core numbers to remove some confusion.

AMD have changed the names before, when everyone was expecting Zen2 core in 2000 series chips, they changed the core name to Zen+ and thats what threw the numbering out, because Zen2 cores then became RyZen 3000 CPUs.

Sounds like a perfect marketing strategy to me, i'd do exactly the same thing if I was Lisa Su.

The slides above speak a 1000 words.

Last edited:
Associate
Even if the CCD were of the same quality it would be a big improvement.
My 3900X has one that is happy to reach 4.65 but the other one struggles with 4350.

However mine is an early chip so maybe the current ones have already improved on that.

Caporegime
3900x is reportedly getting a price cut in the u.s to around $400, so that probably means we'll see a price increase on "some" sites over here. Or it'll maintain the same price because "current stock was bought at xxx price yadda yadda".

Permabanned
3900x is reportedly getting a price cut in the u.s to around $400, so that probably means we'll see a price increase on "some" sites over here. Or it'll maintain the same price because "current stock was bought at xxx price yadda yadda".
Just over £400 on the well known retail site.

Back
Top Bottom