What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
In conversation with the wife at the weekend and discovered another favourite of mine she hasn't seen so watched last night for the umpteenth time:

Dune (1984) - just love this movie, effects have aged terribly, there is some hammy acting but the world building is great, love the characters and freakin' sandworms :D

Watched the vanilla edit, did watch both the fan ed-edit and the extended version last year. Both add more explanation and exposition to the movie but it's done so badly it detracts from the overall experience. Doubt i'll watch either alternate versions again.

I'm powering through the book for the first time as well before we get DV's version later in the year. Along with Tenet, it's my most anticipated movie of the year.

Soldato
Bird Box

A bit late with this one, because it didn't really appeal to me when it was released. However, out of pure lockdown induced boredom, I decided to give it a watch. I'm glad I did; I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it's one of the best horror / thrillers that I've seen in quite a while.

8/10

Permabanned
Audition - 8/10

Shocked in myself I hadn't watched this already considering how well rated it is and on most "must watch" horror lists.

As in typical Japanese fashion, it's a slow build. It plays like a romance until a certain part where if you went in not knowing it's horror it would blind side you. I found myself sympathising with Asami, not to the extent of the torture she inflicts but she's an understandable villain.

The movie remind me a lot of Mulholland Drive, in regards where at certain points you're not sure what's real and what isn't.

Completely agree with pretty much everything you've written there. Such a brilliant film.

Soldato
Dostana a indian movie with subtitles I came across on netflix
I enjoy movies that are a little different so i checked it out

6.7/10 it had me rolling with laughter, ill need to check a few others out

Two straight guys pretend to be gay to get a shared apartment with a women who only wants female house mates.

Soldato
I think there was chat about them in this thread recently, so I'm going to watch through the Mission Impossible movies. Started with the original last night. A solid 7½/10, if not even an 8 perhaps. A good solid story, some bits of action and some great cinematography (love all the smokey night shots and Tom blowing up the fish tank) It's amazing how old it seems now, mind you. Tom C looks so young. The tech they are using looks like it's from WWII or something :)

Caporegime
Chappie

A real oddity from the guy behind District 9 and Elysium, and like both of those it's a curious mixture of genius moments and weird missteps. Charming in places, solid action in others, and a whole load of people acting in unconvincing ways. A not entirely convincing premise combined with a certain amount of under-commitment to that premise. There's enough bad to think it's awful; and enough good to think it's great. I can see why people would love it, and why people would hate it. I was left entertained but nonplussed.

6/10

Soldato
Mad Max: Fury Road - Black and Chrome Edition

Saw this at the cinema when it came out but first time watching at home. With Mad Max 2 being my favourite film of all time I have mixed feelings about this but for what is, it's an absolute blast.

The "black and chrome" definitely gives it an artistic, historical quality to it, like it's just been dug up from a time capsule.

In most recent action films I find the action sequences send me to sleep and I'm more interested in the slower parts. But this film has the opposite effect where the action is engaging and the downtime bits are boring.

Tom Hardy was the weak link in the film. Not great acting and didn't resemble Mad Max. He had a dodgy accent that seemed closer to Russian than anything else. I've watched a lot of films with him in and he always messes up accents - I never really understood all the praise for him.

Charlize Theron was better than Tom Hardy but that was just relatively so. I can't say I'm excited about a spin-off Furiosa movie.

The stars of the show were Immortan Joe and his team - great medley of characters that captured the essence of what was good about Mad Max 2.

8/10

Soldato
Mad Max: Fury Road - Black and Chrome Edition

Saw this at the cinema when it came out but first time watching at home. With Mad Max 2 being my favourite film of all time I have mixed feelings about this but for what is, it's an absolute blast.

The "black and chrome" definitely gives it an artistic, historical quality to it, like it's just been dug up from a time capsule.

In most recent action films I find the action sequences send me to sleep and I'm more interested in the slower parts. But this film has the opposite effect where the action is engaging and the downtime bits are boring.

Tom Hardy was the weak link in the film. Not great acting and didn't resemble Mad Max. He had a dodgy accent that seemed closer to Russian than anything else. I've watched a lot of films with him in and he always messes up accents - I never really understood all the praise for him.

Charlize Theron was better than Tom Hardy but that was just relatively so. I can't say I'm excited about a spin-off Furiosa movie.

The stars of the show were Immortan Joe and his team - great medley of characters that captured the essence of what was good about Mad Max 2.

8/10

I will keep an eye out for the Black and Chrome version.

I thought the Accent was a combination of him being a grumpy loner and the pigeon/broken English that a lot of the other characters use.

Soldato
A Quiet Place: 5/10

I don’t know what I was expecting exactly but was certainly expecting better. Just feels like Stranger-Descent mash. Waste of Emily Blunt’s time and usual suspects of silly Hollywood horror character actions.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Alien 3 (Assembly Cut). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103644/?ref_=ttalt_alt_tt

Watched it all this time. Pretty good, some solid performances from the likes of Charles Dance and Brian Glover and others.

Glad I've finally seen it from start to end this time.

Good channel here which reviews films and other media:

I agree with the comment in the review about it being a shame and surprise that Charles Dance, one of the best characters in the film, IMO, being killed off too soon. Refreshing one the one hand as it's unexpected, but I would also like to have seen him in it for somewhat longer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Adam Family (2019 - animated)

I assumed this would be tedious but it was far better (and by that I mean more amusing) than I anticipated it would be. There is just something I find endlessly entertaining about the dry yet silly macabre dialogue that made the 90s films memorable. There are some funny sight gags too. I did laugh out loud a fair few times. The plot and anything that could be of substance is forgettable but the laughs were there for me and that’s what counts. Minus a point for Uncle Fester being such an annoying character in this iteration.

7/10

Back
Top Bottom