Horizon Zero Dawn

Soldato
The unpacking is completely CPU bound. Nearly done now though with a 3700X. 4 minutes to go at 180MB/s.

Problem is the system connected to my TV has a far worse CPU.

edit: Slows down towards the end, I'm guessing when it reaches smaller files.

edit2: PC crashed unpacking :/ with a minute to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
Graphics settings are messed up. I went to switch off vsync and and put an FPS cap in just below the freesync limit and it's now screwed up the resolution creating a letterbox even though the native resolution is set.

Thought I'd restart the game and I have to watch the entire intro sequence again.

5700xt on a 1440p monitor.

Soldato
Ha, yup, all over again. At least it’s not loading shaders again. Perhaps I need to start a new game to get rid of it?

Good point.

Fixed my aspect ratio problem now.

5700XT, Ultra, 1440p. Average fps of 70.

Freesync makes it very smooth, except for a stutter that occurs every ten seconds or so. That might be a VRAM issue though as I can see that it is maxing out the 8GB of VRAM and using over 8GB of normal RAM.

edit: stutters only in benchmark, not happening in game so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unpacking took 10 minutes for me (on PCIe 4 SSD), then 12 minutes 'optimising'. I don't get this 'optimising' nonsense you get on games now, surely that's what the quality presets are for?

Seems to run on for me. FPS on my R5 3600 / 1070 on the 'favour quality' preset are:

4K: 20 - 25 FPS
1440p: 40 - 45 FPS
1080p: 60 FPS.

More or less what I was expecting for my hardware. No issues noted in a quick play but I'll post if that or my FPS changes.

EDIT - Crashed on first attempt to load but was ok right away. No sign of 35GB patch for me yet?

Back
Top Bottom