LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Hmm sounds like a glitch and you are on the latest firmware I take it?

have you tried to reset the tv to factory settings and then disable that timer and then see if it still has the same issue perhaps. If not worth asking LG support to fix the bug, obviously switching that timer off it shouldn't pop up.

Ill disable mine and see how it goes over the next few days also.

Yeah could be a glitch - yeah autoupdate is on and nothing new to d/l

yeah I might resort to factory reset - problems with tv's now, so many menu's and sub menus its not easy to put everything back hahaha

Will do this over the weekend

How did people rate this for productivity? I'm going to have a 1m deep desk so within the realms of workable for me.... if it's worth it.

I have to say I really like it
I tried a 49" curved screen and that really annoyed me (Ive got a relatively flat curved dell 34" as my personal pc monitor which I really like - but the 49" is too curved for me, and was constantly bugging me
The CX however is brilliant imo, all the benefits of two screen without the bezel between. I have Outlook and Teams open constantly and usually multiple browsers and odd txt and other files open, and so much easier without constantly shuffling them around on a much smaller screen

Admittedly my desk is actually a dining room table so the depth isn't an issue at all, but Im still only 1 1/2 meters away from it (and no issue with docks either, which can be fiddly with resolution changes when alternating between work and home)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm seriously contemplating this now to replace my 40" Philips BDM LCD for entertainment and working on my study desk. The Phillips is ancient now and noticeably losing brightness.

I'm not at all concerned about the size, as you can create a smaller virtual display with say UW resolution in the middle, then revert to full size for games and films and things requiring immersion.

The size should also reduce / eliminate the need for Windows scaling too I'd hope.

What I am definitely concerned about is the burn-in potential of an OLED PC monitor, sitting there for hours with windows in the same positions.

What does make me laugh though is that the new Samsung S21U phone is a similar price to this and I know which I'd rather spend £1.3k on. Mobile prices are a joke :).

Associate
How did people rate this for productivity? I'm going to have a 1m deep desk so within the realms of workable for me.... if it's worth it.
Had mine a month now use it for productivity around 8 -10 hours a day. Actually found transition fine although back of mind still pampering a little to it, by sharing workload more than I used to between my previous monitors. Run daily dead pixel test to check as a curiosity for any issues.

I also am having timer issues with TV wanting to switch off even though I acknowledge that I don't want this to happen. Has become a little annoying even though 4 hours turned off in menu. I switch to normal TV mode when leaving room and have DVB viewer (TV Software) running sometimes as back drop when running fixed screens for long periods. If computer is doing something I have to wait for. I alt tab to that and wait for sound for completion of task and switch back.

As I said I am pampering to it still. Will have to get over this. Otherwise I am really happy with it great for movies and gaming although you do notice compression of source a lot more in dark scenes not really fault of TV. Gaming need to get higher card to fully benefit still on 1080ti.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah could be a glitch - yeah autoupdate is on and nothing new to d/l

yeah I might resort to factory reset - problems with tv's now, so many menu's and sub menus its not easy to put everything back hahaha

Will do this over the weekend

I didn't get any 4hr pop up box last night and did a 6hr binge marathon, maybe its some glitch or factory reset.

yeah its not nice, I jot down all my picture setting values you just need SDR ones and then HDR ones.

Soldato
I also am having timer issues with TV wanting to switch off even though I acknowledge that I don't want this to happen. Has become a little annoying even though 4 hours turned off in menu. I switch to normal TV mode when leaving room and have DVB viewer (TV Software) running sometimes as back drop when running fixed screens for long periods. If computer is doing something I have to wait for. I alt tab to that and wait for sound for completion of task and switch back.

Sorry to hear you are having the same issue - but also kinda glad its not just me :)

I didn't get any 4hr pop up box last night and did a 6hr binge marathon, maybe its some glitch or factory reset.

yeah its not nice, I jot down all my picture setting values you just need SDR ones and then HDR ones.

Thank you for trying, just out of interest what did you binge with?

Im starting to wonder if its just a PC input issue rather than a generic tv/ across all inputs kind of thing? Just occurred to me, I cant think of any other input I have used constantly for over 3hrs , usually switching between all of them when Im not working

As mentioned before , will do a factory reset at the weekend and see if it continues to happen after?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Thank you for trying, just out of interest what did you binge with?

Im starting to wonder if its just a PC input issue rather than a generic tv/ across all inputs kind of thing? Just occurred to me, I cant think of any other input I have used constantly for over 3hrs , usually switching between all of them when Im not working

As mentioned before , will do a factory reset at the weekend and see if it continues to happen after?

Martial art old school films :p

It should really be across the board, I get that pop up on cable tv also but ill check this weekends sporting event since it runs for 6hrs+ again.

I use an Nvidia shield pro and shield Plex app for Movie and Tv series content since it can do HDR and SDR content better and easier over PC or htpc and that pop up no longer came with the shield media streamer once I switched it off in the CX settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
The other thing Ive been wondering about - Bluetooth headphones

Most devices - you have to accept the connection once and its ready to go from then on no matter how many times you turn the device on /off (or the headphones for that matter)
48" LG I seem to have to accept BT headphones connecting every single time I use them the headphones themselves say "connected" immediately you turn them on but tv prompt appears and if you don't acknowledge with "yes" to using them the sound stops working and switches to speakers again.
(the above is with the tv being switched on first - if you switch headphones on first and then the tv they don't connect at all)

Sony 1000XM3, not that it should make any difference.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Spoke too soon FrankJH, the 4 hour pop up appeared last nights bingeing session, double checked the settings there and then under timers and its 100% switched off.

This is a software bug on the TV clearly, best to report it to LG tech support

Associate
These TV are just quirky. I updated the firmware and now if I use the Dolby digital audio setting on my Virgin V6 box I lose sound when changing channels. If I use Dolby digital to PCM it is ok. Never happened in 18 months. Plus if my PC goes to rest mode and I return to the PC HDMI input sometimes it is just blank. The PC wakes up but not the handshake. Which means a hard reset of the PC.

Soldato
I'm seriously contemplating this now to replace my 40" Philips BDM LCD for entertainment and working on my study desk. The Phillips is ancient now and noticeably losing brightness.

I'm not at all concerned about the size, as you can create a smaller virtual display with say UW resolution in the middle, then revert to full size for games and films and things requiring immersion.

The size should also reduce / eliminate the need for Windows scaling too I'd hope.

What I am definitely concerned about is the burn-in potential of an OLED PC monitor, sitting there for hours with windows in the same positions.

What does make me laugh though is that the new Samsung S21U phone is a similar price to this and I know which I'd rather spend £1.3k on. Mobile prices are a joke :).

There are built in mitigations against burn-in that you just don't turn off. Then I use a black desktop, hide desktop icons when I don't need them, auto hide taskbar, use dark mode everywhere I can and for just desktop activities have modified the "standard" picture mode so its zero on OLED light and 50% on brightness. That is absolutely fine for working/surfing. As soon as I fire up a game "game mode" kicks in and I'd back to full OLED glory. For further mitigation I just move windows around a bit. If I have 2 browser windows open I swap them over every so often. With the OLED light turned right down though you really shouldn't run into an problems and the TV with automatically dim any bright static parts of picture itself. I'm really not concerned about burn-in.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Think the issue is more with the gpu then the TV.

hdmi hand shakes are problematic, I tend to find its sometimes the gpu settings being too powerful for the hdmi cable or gpu or device.

Worth trying reduced settings ie 1080p, 8bit and seeing if issue is there, then try a different hdmi cable.

Associate
It is not common, works much more often than it doesn’t. Disconnecting the HDMI cable then reconnecting to the gpu does the job. Or the last time it happened I disabled them enabled instant response in the tv menu and it came on. More inconvenient than anything else. Never any issues from boot etc.

I have had 3 HDMI cables. The one I have is 2.1 certified by hdmi.org. Worked perfect until this firmware update which I held off on updating for months. Only did it was getting TV calibrated so thought best to get it all up to date.

Soldato
It is not common, works much more often than it doesn’t. Disconnecting the HDMI cable then reconnecting to the gpu does the job. Or the last time it happened I disabled them enabled instant response in the tv menu and it came on. More inconvenient than anything else. Never any issues from boot etc.

I have had 3 HDMI cables. The one I have is 2.1 certified by hdmi.org. Worked perfect until this firmware update which I held off on updating for months. Only did it was getting TV calibrated so thought best to get it all up to date.

Try turning off "fast boot" within windows. I have same quirk until I disabled that. Does make no actual difference to boot time for me, but got rid of the no signal message for me which popped up due to handshake seemingly not playing ball.

Soldato
Spoke too soon FrankJH, the 4 hour pop up appeared last nights bingeing session, double checked the settings there and then under timers and its 100% switched off.

This is a software bug on the TV clearly, best to report it to LG tech support
Thanks for confirmation really appreciated.

:)

Soldato
I'm just in the process of calibrating with a Spyder 5 Express. I'm doing the calibration in game mode (not HDR) and am wondering, how will this be affected when the screen switches to HDR - do I have to copy the gamma and colour settings that I changed for SDR?

I'm using Display Cal.

Back
Top Bottom