Valheim

Man of Honour
Great. I'll have to look at mods are they via steam or that nexus thing.

Various sources. There are currently 422 on Nexus, which is where I get all the mods I use in all the games I use mods on.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/

Modding Valheim is currently more complicated than modding many of the games for which modding is more established. You will often have to download resources from more than one site (e.g. many Valheim mods require BeplnExPack from https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/denikson/BepInExPack_Valheim/ to be installed) and you'll probably have to install Valheim mods manually. Some will install simply through Vortex, Nexus' mod manager, but some won't. It's still early days for Valheim modding.

I haven't used any Valheim mods yet, but I have about a dozen bookmarked for consideration. A mod that allows you to cycle through snapping points on a building item you're holding or looking at so you don't have to get into an angle from which you can point the cursor at the desired snapping point. That would be very handy for building. A mod that causes food bonuses to remain constant for half the expiry time and and decrease twice as quickly for the remaining half of the expiry time. The addition of a mapmaking skill that gradually slightly increases the update range on the minimap (which at default is much less than your viewing distance). Etc. I don't want to fundamentally change the game, but there are some things I'd like to change a bit.

Soldato
I found a very small, and I mean very small, Plains biome whilst trying to get to Bonemass location. Killed a couple of deathsquitos and got some of the fruit from there. Glad I found a small one at this point in the game and not one that has all the mobs associated with the Plains. Hell I’ve only done a few quick jaunts into the mountains so I can have frost arrows for the Bonemass fight.

Man of Honour
I recommend the Valheim Plus Mod.

I'm not sure if others have posted this already, but if you know the seed name you can type it in to this site and it'll show you a map of your game and filter boxes to find the different map items;

http://valheim-map.world

Unfortunately that doesn't work in my main browser (Pale Moon with a bunch of plugins). I loaded Edge and it worked in that. I knew the map was big, but that brings home how big it is. I matched it up with my ingame map and it was a case of "Oh...all the area I've explored is part of that island that's a very small part of the map". I was hoping it would show resource deposits, but it doesn't seem to do so.

I did some testing sailing a karve along the coast and back again a couple of times. Into the wind every time all the time. When I turned, so did the wind. I suspect shenanigans. Looks like I'm going to have to scour black forest biomes for crypts for surtling cores and build another big hall for a dozen or more portals that are the home end of portal pairs. I'll probably end up modding the game to allow metal and ore through portals at some point as well.

Soldato
Unfortunately that doesn't work in my main browser (Pale Moon with a bunch of plugins). I loaded Edge and it worked in that. I knew the map was big, but that brings home how big it is. I matched it up with my ingame map and it was a case of "Oh...all the area I've explored is part of that island that's a very small part of the map". I was hoping it would show resource deposits, but it doesn't seem to do so.

I did some testing sailing a karve along the coast and back again a couple of times. Into the wind every time all the time. When I turned, so did the wind. I suspect shenanigans. Looks like I'm going to have to scour black forest biomes for crypts for surtling cores and build another big hall for a dozen or more portals that are the home end of portal pairs. I'll probably end up modding the game to allow metal and ore through portals at some point as well.

I used to have multiple portals at my home but now I just have 1 and change the tag to where I want to go.

Soldato
Had such fun with this with the kids over the weekend. Such a great game!

Much laughter and manic screaming over Discord echoed through our house all weekend.

Built a new three-bed house, but soon decided it was in completely the wrong place so we're already scoping a new build location. Up to mid-level bronze gear now and hunting trolls, copper veins and surtling cores. All three of us are just waiting for the next time we can all log on together.

Man of Honour
Has anyone noticed a shadowy figure, holding a staff, who appears a short distance away and when you walk toward them they disappear? At first I thought I had imagined it until I saw them again

Soldato
Has anyone noticed a shadowy figure, holding a staff, who appears a short distance away and when you walk toward them they disappear? At first I thought I had imagined it until I saw them again

Yep yesterday stood on a mound across some plains. Of course I shot an arrow at him first assuming it was a plains mob.

Also installed the dedicated server on a spare PC and transferred my current world to it in anticipation of getting a couple of mates to join the private server.

Soldato
I knew the map was big, but that brings home how big it is. I matched it up with my ingame map and it was a case of "Oh...all the area I've explored is part of that island that's a very small part of the map".

I was the same. I managed to sail across to the next island and was really proud of myself. Then I went to that site and realised there are many islands. It shows how indepth the game is, and considering its only a small file sized game its amazing what the devs have done.

It's amazing the game has a wind system too. I know what you mean about the sails. I had to keep moving forward with no sails up if the wind is coming to me.

I know the Valhiem Plus Mod can do that kinda thing i.e. remove restriction on portals. The good thing about the Mod is you can change or leave unchanged anything you want. If you're playing single player then its relatively easy to install and configure.

Soldato
I've seen red this afternoon, for all my best gear that took me ages to make, got enough Stirling cores for a portal and set sail for the elders island.

Then I started panicking as these little grey worms started attacking the raft. Escaped then and a large underwater serpent thing destroyed my raft. Just managed to swim to shore and it was a swamp, at night, immediately got swarmed 6 or so draegers or whatever their called and died.
It's really annoyed me. I don't think I can be arsed making everything again.

Associate
Cant you go back and recover your body bag?

If you are happy to open up your server, then the Body Recovery Service will help :D

Check the Valheim Reddit, a bunch of geared guys come in and recover it all for you.

Soldato
I haven't played for a few weeks because I and a mate died in a really awkward spot in a swamp biome. Made all our gear again and went back to get it, died again.

Can't be arsed to go through it all again. Not for me!

Associate
Found a village of about 6 half built but secure houses. Inside each one is a load of Dargurs! Locked in luckily, but if I can clean them out, im moving my home here. Its near a Swamp and Mountains, I think I can setup nicely using the current housing layout. Its just going to be a pain to get all the metal down here, but ill worry about that last :D

Soldato
Found a village of about 6 half built but secure houses. Inside each one is a load of Dargurs! Locked in luckily, but if I can clean them out, im moving my home here. Its near a Swamp and Mountains, I think I can setup nicely using the current housing layout. Its just going to be a pain to get all the metal down here, but ill worry about that last :D

I recently found and cleared out the same village. I used the stag hammer to AOE through the walls.

As for metal, I decided to use valheim+ to allow me to transfer metals through portals. Kind of cheating but I have neither the time nor inclination to run metals on the boat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom