LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
John Lewis have insurance against burn in on the LG 10th series, which tells me they're quite confident it won't be an issue.

Whats the actual timeframe for burn in? How long does it take before it becomes an issue? Just been using mine as a monitor for a month and so far so good.

People just have to do there research and consider your viewing habits. Burn-in essentially seems to be the pixels 'wearing out' over time, so it will be hard to differentiate between (for example) someone with the GMB logo burnt into the screen who watched it for 25 minutes a day, 5 days a week for two years (which could be considered normal use) and leaving it paused with the logo on the screen for 200 hours straight (which would be against the manufacturer's recommendations and therefore considered abuse) John Lewis does say in their protect+ policy We shall not be liable for: your failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and repairs required where the product is functioning within the manufacturer’s tolerances (for example, number of pixel failures). LG saying their TV’s last for 100,000 hours, if a user watches our OLED TV for 10 hours a day.

The CX/C1 comes with some super-effective features to help with burn-in, but one problem remains the viewing habits with static.:)

JL protect+
https://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/content/JohnLewis/Protect-Plus-Accidental-Damage-Terms-Conditionspdf

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Whats the actual timeframe for burn in? How long does it take before it becomes an issue? Just been using mine as a monitor for a month and so far so good.
I meant to buy it with my CX so I have not looked at the clause in depth, but it's a complement to your warranty so 5 or 6 years whatever you got with it.
People just have to do there research and consider your viewing habits. Burn-in essentially seems to be the pixels 'wearing out' over time, so it will be hard to differentiate between (for example) someone with the GMB logo burnt into the screen who watched it for 25 minutes a day, 5 days a week for two years (which could be considered normal use) and leaving it paused with the logo on the screen for 200 hours straight (which would be against the manufacturer's recommendations and therefore considered abuse) John Lewis does say in their policy you follow manufacturer's recommendations. LG saying their TV’s last for 100,000 hours, if a user watches our OLED TV for 10 hours a day.

The CX/C1 comes with some super-effective features to help with burn-in, but one problem remains the viewing habits.:)

JL protect+
We shall not be liable for: your failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
https://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/content/JohnLewis/Protect-Plus-Accidental-Damage-Terms-Conditionspdf
It's up to them to prove you didn't follow the manufacturers instructions. Unless they are recording your viewing habits (should be able to reset the TV to factory defaults) or you confess you neglected it, they can't.

Permabanned
People just have to do there research and consider your viewing habits. Burn-in essentially seems to be the pixels 'wearing out' over time, so it will be hard to differentiate between (for example) someone with the GMB logo burnt into the screen who watched it for 25 minutes a day, 5 days a week for two years (which could be considered normal use) and leaving it paused with the logo on the screen for 200 hours straight (which would be against the manufacturer's recommendations and therefore considered abuse) John Lewis does say in their protect+ policy We shall not be liable for: your failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and repairs required where the product is functioning within the manufacturer’s tolerances (for example, number of pixel failures). LG saying their TV’s last for 100,000 hours, if a user watches our OLED TV for 10 hours a day.

The CX/C1 comes with some super-effective features to help with burn-in, but one problem remains the viewing habits with static.:)

JL protect+

Fair enough. I can see it shifts the screen by a mm or so every day from side to side which should work in theory but I turn it off when idle and try to mix it up but desktop image will always be a problem in that regard. It does pixel refresh although Im not sure if thats everytime the screen is off or you have to manually do it?

Associate
It's up to them to prove you didn't follow the manufacturers instructions. Unless they are recording your viewing habits (should be able to reset the TV to factory defaults) or you confess you neglected it, they can't.

I sure the TV repairs centres have excess to the show the total power on time information so to prove something isn't that hard with new tect age we live in:) And no you can't reset this feature.

Fair enough. I can see it shifts the screen by a mm or so every day from side to side which should work in theory but I turn it off when idle and try to mix it up but desktop image will always be a problem in that regard. It does pixel refresh although Im not sure if thats everytime the screen is off or you have to manually do it?

If you want to turn off that feature that's your choice:)

Last edited:
Associate
Im about to pull the plug on the CX55 but is there a preferable place to order that would make a return less hassle should I not win the panel lottery?

The panel lottery debate is some people get burn -in but some don't it's a gamble I know :) OLEDs can't be beating on IQ for now that is. I use my CX55 for 10 months now but I change my viewing habits long ago, I wouldn't go back to poor LCD

As for Return a TV is normally 14/21 days unused for full refund:)

Last edited:
Permabanned
The panel lottery debate is some people get burn -in but some don't it's a gamble I know :) OLEDs can't be beating on IQ for now that is. I use my CX55 for 10 months now but I change my viewing habits long ago, I wouldn't go back to poor LCD

Thats not what I mean. I have the CX48 and its perfect but I mean getting a screen with issues. Theres a lot of reports of weird grey lines through the panel and other stuff so I mean what if I buy it and its a dud or Im not 100% happy. Who has the best return policy? Obviously its not going to be unused if Im not happy with it. 14 days would apply everywhere used or not wouldnt it?

Last edited:
Associate
Thats not what I mean. I have the CX48 and its perfect but I mean getting a screen with issues. Theres a lot of reports of weird grey lines through the panel and other stuff so I mean what if I buy it and its a dud or Im not 100% happy. Who has the best return policy? Obviously its not going to be unused if Im not happy with it. 14 days would apply everywhere used or not wouldnt it?

My mistake, if you have problems with your CX48 it depends on where you buy if from normally they offer to repair it, but of cause you can refuse it but you have too read the Consumer Rights Act or 'retailers legal obligations to you under the Sale of Goods Act' After this time you have to give the retailer an opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund. Your right to a quick refund is limited to 30 days from the date you took ownership of the product not use.

Last edited:
Permabanned
My mistake, if you have problems with your CX48 it depends on where you buy if from normally they offer to repair it, but of cause you can refuse it but you have too read the Consumer Rights Act or 'retailers legal obligations to you under the Sale of Goods Act' After this time you have to give the retailer an opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund. Your right to a quick refund is limited to 30 days from the date you took ownership of the product

Right. I have a CX48 now and its perfect. Im going to buy the CX55 for my living room TV. Basically Im looking for the best place to buy should the CX55 have issues. Hope that clears it up, sorry.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I sure the TV repairs centres have excess to the show the total power on time information so to prove something isn't that hard with new tect age we live in:) And no you can't reset this feature.
What does power on time have to do with proving neglect was a factor in screen burn in?
Do you have a link I can read that details what they keep records of, beyond us "living in an age"?

Im about to pull the plug on the CX55 but is there a preferable place to order that would make a return less hassle should I not win the panel lottery?
Always JL. Secondly RS. Last if you're desperate or the price is right, Currys.

Permabanned
Correct.

Like I said I meant to buy it but never got round to it.

What Im not getting is you cannot return the tv to JL under 14 days law if its been opened now. DSR is DSR as its not sold as seen and I do worry about getting a panel with a problem. Thinking RS so far but need to pull the trigger tomorrow at the latest.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
What Im not getting is you cannot return the tv to JL under 14 days law if its been opened now. DSR is DSR as its not sold as seen and I do worry about getting a panel with a problem. Thinking RS so far but need to pull the trigger tomorrow at the latest.
If you have a panel with a problem then how would you know unless you opened it?
If the panel develops a problem later, that's what warranty is for.

Unless you just wanna play with it and send it back because you changed your mind then I'm not seeing an issue.

Permabanned
If you have a panel with a problem then how would you know unless you opened it?
If the panel develops a problem later, that's what warranty is for.

Unless you just wanna play with it and send it back because you changed your mind then I'm not seeing an issue.

Im talking about setting it up and noticing something a couple of days in, which is very much a thing.

Side note - would home insurance cover screen burn?

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Im talking about setting it up and noticing something a couple of days in, which is very much a thing.

Side note - would home insurance cover screen burn?
Whatever that thing is, it will be covered by warranty.

I doubt home insurance would cover a technical issue. It's more for accidental damage / acts of god.

Back
Top Bottom