Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
It is an incremental upgrade year - still on 5nm so performance gains will be mild as it's limited to gains in the architecture and ipc. They have added 120hz without killing battery life which is great but it looks like always on display was too much so it's pushed to the next year.

Next year will be a better upgrade for performance with the move down to 3nm providing 40% per/watt over 5nm and that can be used to improve battery life for an always on display

Soldato
something actually really interesting they've done with ML this year (im not sure if the feature is exclusive to iphone 13 or any device on ios15) is Seek.

Being able to take a photo of a flower, tree, animal, fish, insect etc and have the phone instantly tell me what it is is awesome. No more finding weird looking spiders and having to search through random google images to know if its poisonous or can be handled

Soldato
Preordering looks quite good on the Apple Store iOS/iPadOS apps. You can build an order, choose payment and then save it for Friday along with a calendar reminder. I’m going for a 13 Pro (Silver, 256GB) and a cherry leather case.

Soldato
I remember when Apple announced new phones, this thread used to go into double figures in page count.

Now its becoming less and less, are people loosing interest in Apple announcements? Nothing much shown in other places either.

fez

fez

Caporegime
something actually really interesting they've done with ML this year (im not sure if the feature is exclusive to iphone 13 or any device on ios15) is Seek.

Being able to take a photo of a flower, tree, animal, fish, insect etc and have the phone instantly tell me what it is is awesome. No more finding weird looking spiders and having to search through random google images to know if its poisonous or can be handled

This is a game changer for me too. No more worrying about whether that scorpion i"m hugging is going to kill me or not. :p

Soldato
Technology has peaked, not just Apple but everything, everything is incremental upgrades these days.

I’d argue it hasn’t. What they’ve recognised is that it’s going to peak, so rather than rush there full steam ahead, they’re adding in new tech bit by bit, to ensure they’ve always got one or two differentiating factors every year.

That way, they don’t need to spend loads on R&D every year trying to find something new - they can let others do it.

Associate
I remember when Apple announced new phones, this thread used to go into double figures in page count.

Now its becoming less and less, are people loosing interest in Apple announcements? Nothing much shown in other places either.

I think most people are just happy with what they’ve got tbh.

Soldato
I think most people are just happy with what they’ve got tbh.

I normally enjoy Apple announcements, but I was bored in places with this one. It seemed like they were just going through the motions. "This is 20% better than that, see our new camera blah blah whatever."

I think Apple are going to find it harder and harder to enthuse people about new iphones, since there's no new tech to come aside from foldables, and I don't think folding phones are going to take off in the way that some people think they are - not in the near future at least.

Soldato
I don't really know why Apple is dragging its heels on a foldable phone it would print money for them
Apple usually release new tech or products when the bugs have been ironed out. Currently the folding phones from Samsung and Motorola aren't perfect. You can bet Apple have developed testing prototype versions.

Soldato
Another iphone exactly the same as the last. How do they keep selling these? Especially at a grand a pop.

It's the same with all the other high-end phone manufacturers - a little bit extra here, a little bit extra there, a little bit extra on the price and bingo - here's the 2022 Loltastic Ultra Zomg 128gb at £1099

Soldato
It's the same with all the other high-end phone manufacturers - a little bit extra here, a little bit extra there, a little bit extra on the price and bingo - here's the 2022 Loltastic Ultra Zomg 128gb at £1099

I've had my oneplus 7 pro nearly 2.5 years now. I think the only real reason to upgrade nowadays is if the battery is on the way out and you are no longer getting updates. Phone market is totally stale. Apple are the worst for it though, they barely even change the design.

Commissario
Apple are the worst for it though, they barely even change the design
I don’t want the design to change. I have a mount in my car which is specific for the phone model. I want to be able to use that for as long as I can without having to faff about changing it.

Just because a phone looks the same on the outside, doesn’t mean it’s the same on the inside.

Man of Honour
Technology has peaked, not just Apple but everything, everything is incremental upgrades these days.

Quite true - of course the upgrades are still notable, but it just feels very stale to me - not just Apple - everywhere.

Another iphone exactly the same as the last. How do they keep selling these? Especially at a grand a pop.

Exactly the same? Look again.

Back
Top Bottom