The Tesla Thread

Soldato

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

As its black did it look dirty 5 mins after that picture:cry:.
Ha! My plan is to wrap the car with a satin black anyway, but it wasn't too bad.

Choosing the colour was harder than I anticipated. I went to the Tesla showroom and saw the model 3 in blue and I was *decided* on blue. It really popped in the light and looked super smart in the show room. However, when it came time to pre-order I saw one outside at a charger at the supermarket and thought the blue looked too dark in cloudy British weather.. so I changed my mind and went with the midnight silver on the basis that I'd get that wrapped in a dark grey at some stage. However, I was still trying to sell my old car at the time and didn't want to get a colour that I wasn't 100% happy with. Especially as I knew I'd have to wait until I could afford to wrap the car, so I changed to black.

I spent days looking through videos of the different colours wondering if I had picked the right one.... then did the only logical thing and changed to red :cry:. Eventually, I decided to go back to black as I couldn't justify the extra £2000 on the paint that could be better spent getting a charger installed and resisted the temptation to look at any more pictures online. At least I knew from the beginning that I didn't want white, as my last car was white and I find being the default colour, it's too popular. I did like the white and black contrast though...

Soldato
I'm not defending Tesla, but even Google Maps gets these things wrong very often in my experience. It'll often tell you to get into the most left hand lane for your roundabout exit when you actually need the middle or right hand lane.

well i never used google
Maps for nav, but i did 50k in bmw i dont think i ever once had this issue with the nav. I mean i thought sat mav was a solved problem for i dont know about at least 10 years now. But with all tech in tesla it still doesn't know which exit of a roundabout to take and we dont know how it counts or whether it even knows its in a drive on left country

Caporegime
Ha! My plan is to wrap the car with a satin black anyway, but it wasn't too bad.

Choosing the colour was harder than I anticipated. I went to the Tesla showroom and saw the model 3 in blue and I was *decided* on blue. It really popped in the light and looked super smart in the show room. However, when it came time to pre-order I saw one outside at a charger at the supermarket and thought the blue looked too dark in cloudy British weather.. so I changed my mind and went with the midnight silver on the basis that I'd get that wrapped in a dark grey at some stage. However, I was still trying to sell my old car at the time and didn't want to get a colour that I wasn't 100% happy with. Especially as I knew I'd have to wait until I could afford to wrap the car, so I changed to black.

I spent days looking through videos of the different colours wondering if I had picked the right one.... then did the only logical thing and changed to red :cry:. Eventually, I decided to go back to black as I couldn't justify the extra £2000 on the paint that could be better spent getting a charger installed and resisted the temptation to look at any more pictures online. At least I knew from the beginning that I didn't want white, as my last car was white and I find being the default colour, it's too popular. I did like the white and black contrast though...
Why so much effort on colour when you were going to wrap it anyway??

Associate
Question for anyone who got the free winter flap kit in the post.... (i've lost all the packaging)

Both parts stick together and go on the back wheel?
Were there any bolts in the package or do you remove the ones already on the car?

Soldato
That's the one. As I think @Russinating said, I have a reputation around these parts :p

I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately on long journeys 2 year olds require a lot of attention. I've been assured he'll get better once he hits 3.

So, about that car seat experience? ;)

Nothing useful to add about the car but from my experience they only get more demanding in the car when they get to 3 :( (Source: have a 3 year old daughter) it's all 'daddy i want my drink back' 'where's my biscuit gone' 'where's teddy', she was a lot easier in the back when she was younger :o

We've never sat in the back with her though apart from coming back from the hospital when she was born so i dare say if your son is now used to the attention of someone being constantly with him it might be a hard habit to break :(

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

FYI Tesla use Google Maps as the base provider, they just pinpoint specific points of interest like superchargers locations etc.

I'd prefer to see them open it up to other apps like Waze etc.

Soldato
Nothing useful to add about the car but from my experience they only get more demanding in the car when they get to 3 :( (Source: have a 3 year old daughter) it's all 'daddy i want my drink back' 'where's my biscuit gone' 'where's teddy', she was a lot easier in the back when she was younger :o

We've never sat in the back with her though apart from coming back from the hospital when she was born so i dare say if your son is now used to the attention of someone being constantly with him it might be a hard habit to break :(

Not the news I wanted to hear. Trust me, I've tried my best to convince her not to do it so often but it's the approach she wants to take. There are worse parenting techniques.

Received an email from my VW dealer this morning about my ID.3 order and the estimated build week has been delayed by 2 weeks since I last spoke with him a fortnight ago. He said some cars with a estimated build week of 35 still haven't been built and we're now in week 39 so it's not looking good at all. Getting very tempted to get the Model 3 instead because this feels a bit like a carrot on a stick.

Soldato
Not the news I wanted to hear. Trust me, I've tried my best to convince her not to do it so often but it's the approach she wants to take. There are worse parenting techniques.

Received an email from my VW dealer this morning about my ID.3 order and the estimated build week has been delayed by 2 weeks since I last spoke with him a fortnight ago. He said some cars with a estimated build week of 35 still haven't been built and we're now in week 39 so it's not looking good at all. Getting very tempted to get the Model 3 instead because this feels a bit like a carrot on a stick.
I told my Mrs and she said you've made a rod for your own back:D. Just go cold turkey and both sit on the front.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Why so much effort on colour when you were going to wrap it anyway??
I don't want to drastically change the colour, only protect the paintwork. PPF is too expensive and I only considered wrapping when I switched from blue.

Also, the car shows the "real" colour in the app and the dash, so didn't want to get a blue car and wrap it black etc :p

Soldato
That’s nice. Did you just measure the gap between the two fixings and drill holes in the plate to match?

I imagine you had to flex the plate to get the holes in the plate to align with those on the car (because of the curvature)?
I took the back plate off, centred the plate on it and marked the holes that were used to fix the front surround on and then drilled through the plate. So the reg plate is fixed using the same holes that the front surround used to fix to the back plate.

Associate
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I have been reading people on the Tesla UK forum picking up M3's in the 'Available Inventory' on the Tesla website. I seems they are constantly being put on there and sold pretty quickly.

I am tempted to keep checking and grab one rather than waiting until my November order arrives. But I do wonder if the reason these are available is due to being refused for defects, panel gaps etc.

Has anyone bought one of these?

Soldato
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but I have been reading people on the Tesla UK forum picking up M3's in the 'Available Inventory' on the Tesla website. I seems they are constantly being put on there and sold pretty quickly.

I am tempted to keep checking and grab one rather than waiting until my November order arrives. But I do wonder if the reason these are available is due to being refused for defects, panel gaps etc.

Has anyone bought one of these?

You've got a new car coming in November?

Grab an inventory car for 4 weeks? Why? By the time you pick one, do the paperwork, pay for it, your new car will be ready. Seems ridiculous to me.

Inventory cars are usually cancelled orders etc

Soldato
Nothing looks better than a freshly washed black car, for about 30 seconds anyway until all the dust in the neighbourhood gets to hear about it and then plonks itself all over the car. :mad:
My current car is white (not a model 3) and I can't decide if white or black is worse for dirt.y last car was silver and it didn't really look mucky till you ran a sponge over it and could see a before/after line:p.

Associate
You've got a new car coming in November?

Grab an inventory car for 4 weeks? Why? By the time you pick one, do the paperwork, pay for it, your new car will be ready. Seems ridiculous to me.

Inventory cars are usually cancelled orders etc

I have been told the delivery will likely be the end of November so more like 8 weeks, and I've never had to wait 4 weeks for an available car before, so I wouldn't say its that ridiculous. But that wasn't really the purpose of my question.

However, thank you for confirming they are more than likely just cancelled orders.

Back
Top Bottom