Project: Measure twice cut once! (56k no!)

Soldato
OP
OK... back on topic.. we're close now! I can feel it!

Last nights work..

Just to prove my plan worked and it does all come to bits quite happily (although you have to take off the cpu block but I did this so I could clean it all up and reapply the as5 etc)
inbits.jpg

and then after dremeling the hole out for the psu (I started with a case nibbler but it wasn't anywhere near accurate enough)

side1.jpg

Apologies for the image quality, I only ever use the camera on my w800.

Soldato
OP
And from the other side...

side2.jpg

and then above to see just how much this psu hangs out.. (although I've made sure it doesn't hang out any further than the rad)

topview.jpg

The final thing I have to conent with is the fact that the psu now fouls the rad which is obviously wider than 120mm fan mounts :rolleyes: I'm probably going to redrill the holes for the rad mount.. no biggy compared to most of the issues!

Should have the case on this weekend I reckon.. just ned to 4" uv cathodes too and I'm done! (presuming it still works)

Soldato
OP
4737Joker said:
nice project, cant wait to see what clock speeds you get out of it.

I did notice in the bios it'll only let me up to mem Vs to 1.95, the stuff I've got currently needs 2v to stabilise it at 600mhz, that said it is ddr2 4200, the stuff in this pc is 5300 so should be ok. I suppose I can always stick it on a divider but thats one thing I like about ddr2.. crazy crazy speeds!

Other than that the bios looks very much like that of my p5ad2e in my current pc, all the AI overclocking stuff, thats why I was happy going for another asus.. plenty of options!

I would imagine 3.75 would be more than achievable.. that said, just installing some stuff the other day was a revelation, no lag at all even at stock speeds and stuff where my 570J would stall (even at only 4.1ghz like it is currently due to the ambient heat).

Soldato
OP
well its all relative isn't it.. when you start at 3.8ghz a 300mhz oc is pretty poor. In fact this chip has been a total pig, I can't get it to boot or anything past 4.3ghz (still only 500mhz).. I guess 3.8 being stock is pretty good but I certainly wouldn't have paid for it :D

Soldato
OP
cheers!

I just finished cutting the back end of the case and it's all assembled!

All I need to do know is remount the rad (I'm going to try extra sticky pads rather than start redrilling as it's held up by the pipes as well) refill the losses and its done!

ra! pics tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
DSC00236.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

couple of lights to be added and I'm going to check out the single 120mm fan as it might need to be changed for something like a panaflo if its not up to cooling this rad.

Soldato
OP
right,

cpu is idling mid 40s just ran 2 superpi 1m tests and it peaked at about 55 so with a meatier fan on the rad I should be fine although I do think the extra fan is going to be a neccessity. I do also have room to fit an extra one behind the rad in a push/pull config.

Any thoughts on that welcome..

pic of the desk now its tidy (at last)

DSC00240.jpg

edit: wayhay! 2 8mbs and it got to 65 and this rad is HOT, like hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch.

We need some more oomf, I'm thinking 2 better fans! Still, thats the challenge!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
cheers dude!

right.. current outstanding issues..

1 small leak :mad: I mean small, from the same place on the rad, I wrapped a tissue round it last night and it had about 3 or 4 drops on it this morning. Frustrating but I'm not going to pull it all to bits for that, the leak point is actually outside the pc anyway so I'm just going to live with it.

Video through kvm is awful so I'm going to disconnect the video and have one going in the dvi and one in the vga input on my monitor, plus point there is I can then do picture in picture which should be cool!

No lighting, kind of feeling the no lighting so it might stay that way.

Temps.. I think 45-50 idle would be a bit of a problem with air so with water I should be lower, load temps got up to 65 at the end of the 2 8mb runs last night so I was right to be concerned about the fan not being up to it, I think there might also be a potential seating issue with the wblock, going to tighten it tonight and see what happens. A 65 degree rad is an unpleasant thing. It'll actually be a heat source in the room at this rate!

Also the temps jump around a bit.. the loading went like 45-47-43-48-49-53-50-60-55-57 etc etc.. doesn't seem right.

Back
Top Bottom