Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have lost motivation again this week, failed squats @ 100kg I just didn't have any energy to do anymore. Really tired again and not wanting to get out of bed and feeling well knackered all day most days :(

Having a few days off this weekend, I can't seem to get into a good routine at the moment. Also I've stuck a bit to much weight on this last month and now I'm having to diet. :(

I seem to have lost motivation again this week, failed squats @ 100kg I just didn't have any energy to do anymore. Really tired again and not wanting to get out of bed and feeling well knackered all day most days :(

Having a few days off this weekend, I can't seem to get into a good routine at the moment. Also I've stuck a bit to much weight on this last month and now I'm having to diet. :(

Maybe just do as you say and take a few days off and come back at it fresh and eager. I always have the weekend off anyway, but am always raring to go by Monday :)

I've also put on a bit more fat than I would have liked to recently, but to combat that I've just added another HIIT session a week as opposed to changing my diet. This way, my muscles still get everything they need and it's only another 20 mins of hard work a week :)

On another note (not meaning to detract from burtieb1's issue) I was just wondering if you guys could give me some advice on getting some slow digesting protein in before bed.

I have tried to eat cottage cheese and quark but neither really appeal to me and I find it quite unpleasant to eat them, obviously if it is necessary I'll eat it anyway.

However, I was surfing through a few diet sites the other day and found something that a guy called fortified milk, which is where you drink a pint of skimmed milk with a few spoons of skimmed milk powder in it to up all the nutritional values, would this be a good enough source of slow released proteins to feed my body throughout the night or would the fact its in a liquid form affect this?

Same as PAz really, I've seen people shrug 200-300kg and use the bend of the bar to get up the next rep (with NO squeeze).

I can deadlift 200kg for a few at the moment and rarely go over 100kg for shrugs, generally favouring haney rear shrugs.

My traps are awesome compared to the guys lifting 2-3x the weight...

Then again I don't really rate shrugs that much.

Me niether, I HATE shrugging. Only did it as it was part of the routine.

I have really 'low' traps, i.e. no peak, which is annoying and probably means I should shrug more but meh, same with biceps. Not great genetics for it so I avoid them, as long as I'm strong I'm happy as I am :cool:

Did a good Chest/Tri Core session:

Dumbell press:
1x8 @ 36/38kg (oops :D)
2x8 @ 36kg

Incline DB press
3x8 @ 30kg

Snow Angels
3x8 @ 9kg

DB Fly on the big bouncy ball
3x8 @ 18kg

Dips
3x10 unassisted

Overhead DB extensions
3x10 @ 30kg

Cable Extensions
2x10 @ 10kg
1x8 @ 12.5kg

Plank
2@45 secs

Side Plank
4@45 secs

Push down straight leg raises:
3x10

Sit ups with medicine ball, then 10mins on bike.

Dead.

If I was to do Partial deadlifts, with squats also on the same day, would this be similar to doing full deads. I didn't like full ones too much, but partial were alright.

what is a snow angel?!?! (awaits googled snow angels in the snow)

Decline cable flyes? (standing) maybe?...

Bit of an iffy session today! Didn't want to train before lunch but didn't have much choice so hadn't eaten a great deal.

Warming up for my Bench 5x5, thought I'd go for a 1rm as I haven't in a while. 117.5KG with a very long stall mid rep, but got it up. Only 2.5kg away from my PB and my diets not exactly sound now I'm back home from uni and not enitrely in control. the 5x5 didn't go particulary well. Normally good for 100KGx5x5 with a warmup going upto 110KG. Got 2 sets of 100KG out before having to drop down to 97.5KG and not managing to complete any of the final 3 sets :S Perhaps the 1rm attempt shot me in the foot.

Did a spot of deadlifting too. To warm up 60KGx10, 100KGx10 120x2 and then 140x10x4. Pritty tiring as I haven't deadlifted intensly for a while! However using the olympic bench/olympic bar & some improvisation to squat (instead of the smith machine) seems to be helping! although they were tiring they weren't tough! Incorporating standing military press into my shoulder routine and have been getting a lot more shape and width already which is good :) I think I'll be happy If I can just maintain my progress made at Uni over summer and then focus on progressing further whilst I'm back at uni. Upper backs thickening up nicely too.

One of the positives about having an iffy/crap session is that it makes you want to get in there a week later and blow last weeks attempts out of the water! :D

Last edited:
Tried to help some guy getting beaten up by 5-6 youths at around 5am on saturday morning. Helped out a tonne which he was grateful for but unfortunately i sustained a mallet deformation of my little finger before the police could see them all off.

It's in a splint and pending todays xray could be 4-6 weeks before i can do anything weight-wise using my left arm.

Should i just rest until i get the thing off or is there anything other than abdominals that i can do that won't require a gripping position with my left hand?

Firstly well done for helping out and stepping in, most people wouldn't have bothered. :)

Can you hold anything at all without gripping using that finger?

You can do leg press, squats I guess, front squats. You can do fixed machines instead of free weights. Better than nothing. :)

I'll move this to the more relevant thread too ;)

Firstly well done for helping out and stepping in, most people wouldn't have bothered. :)

Can you hold anything at all without gripping using that finger?

You can do leg press, squats I guess, front squats. You can do fixed machines instead of free weights. Better than nothing. :)

I'll move this to the more relevant thread too ;)

Cheers mate, i didn't twig that it should be in this one at all till i did an f5 and i'd swapped threads :p

A lot of people i've spoken to have said i was an idiot for stepping in and i should have left them to it, but i know i would have felt 100x worse if i'd just stood and let it happen. "with great power comes great responsibility" and all that :(

I can't hold anything of significant weight with my palm facing up if it requires my fingers to be curled. Palms facing behind me and knuckles pointing down seems okay though i'll give it a few days rest still before i start holding heavy bars for squats. It was only done on saturday after all. Fixed machines might be an issue as i don't go to the gym, just freeweights and multibench as they are the only things i'm currently using at home.

Dumbell shoulder shrugs should be okay as well at a guess?

Why are you confused?

What he's saying is it practically makes no sense to train you're tri's separately on the same day that you are working on you're chest...P

Although I probably made that a lot more complicated than it needed to be! :)

And obviously the same works out for back / bicep day....make it back / tricep.

That's basically it.. your tri's will be pushing for just about every routine on chest day. *any* form of pressing uses your tri's, and heavily at that if you are pushing enough.

As for how much to push, as long as you have good form, and no joint pain, push as much as you want. :)

Thanks lads, think I was just having a special moment, it really isn't that hard to understand.

Been munching on a harvest mix of nuts this afternoon and all I can think of is Curry, Pizza, and chocolate. Even my workmates asked if I was a bird and will fly home later :D:D

Well done for stepping in mate, the world needs more people who are willing to help :)

Would it be possible to join a gym for a month while you are healing? Most gyms will have a lot of equipment you can use without using your hands much if at all, especially for legs.

Nice one for stepping in, can't say I'd do it myself though due to the likelyhood of someone pulling a knife in Glasgow.
Did my chest session today and was pretty good, 5 sets of 6 for 24kg dumbell press (wanted 26kg but someone was using them :() and tried dumbbell flies with a wider seperation at the top and definetly felt it more on the chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom