Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
also, wrist straps.. do you guys wrap them with the hand, or against the hand? (i.e. same 'direction' as your fingers, or opposite?) or does it not matter? I thought opposite would be better so your straps 'roll' the bar into your fingers, and vice-versa (same logic as over+under grip)

I have mine so that the end I'm wrapping around the bar runs in the same direction as the thumb on the hand its on. I then wrap it under the bar and over the top. Then you can sort of roll your hands around the bar (like you do when rolling up a newspaper) and get an extra tight grip if it's really heavy. Although leaving a little bit of give might be good as it will be using some of your grip strength as opposed to removing it completely.

Stumbled upon this essay/thesis/article about weight belts today: http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/belts_chek.txt

A long read, but interesting. :)

For big compound lifts that hit the lower back I don't see a problem with a belt IF you need it when you get to the heavier sets. I've never used one myself when deadlifting/squatting.

What I don't get is guys who wear belts to bench :confused:

On the deadlift note, starting the car pulling/pushing/tyre flipping/farmers walks has affected the deadlift a bit. I was closing in on 200kg (x1) again and now I'm back down to 180kg!! :( The lad I do it with was just about at 210kg (x1) and he's down to 190kg. Although neither of us had deadlifted for a month now until last night.

The 'strongman' stuff really does shatter the body. Early August for those who wish to try it :cool:

I never understand why people mix chest and tris and back and bis - you hit tris doing chest and you hit bis doing back, unless you're wanting to pre-exhaust. I seldom train arms anyway, however, if you are going to train arms properly, I'd say chest/bis and back tris a better combination.

I still can't do legs with anything else - it takes 90mins for a good leg work out and by then I'm dead. I like to do shoulders and then sometimes do an "arm" day with them. But hten I train 4x a week minimum.

I do like push pull splits they work well.

This confuses me. I am following an adapted version of Gordys sticky and doing a day on Tri/shoulder/chest (Mon), then Bi/back/forearms (Wed) on another day, followed by legs on a 3rd (Fri). Doing 5x5 workout for all.

Only training at home, but need to get my own thread up as I am clearly going wrong in diet, and am unsure on how much to push.

This confuses me.

What he's saying is it practically makes no sense to train you're tri's separately on the same day that you are working on you're chest...Purely because if you do a chest workout (chest press etc) then you will be working you're tri muslces anyway...So if you then go onto doing tri's by themselves (row's tricep extensions) you're tri's will already be kanckered from the chest workout.

Hence it makes more sense to do Bicep work on a chest day, as you're tri's would have had a hammering anyway with you're biceps hardly been used.

Although I probably made that a lot more complicated than it needed to be! :)

And obviously the same works out for back / bicep day....make it back / tricep.

That's basically it.. your tri's will be pushing for just about every routine on chest day. *any* form of pressing uses your tri's, and heavily at that if you are pushing enough.

Likewise for bi's on back day.. everything involves pulling so bi's get mullered.

It's not so much that you're wasting your time, but in practice you probably won't have the energy to work them much.

As for how much to push, as long as you have good form, and no joint pain, push as much as you want. :)

The way I see it is: The idea behind a push/pull/legs routine is to hammer separate muscle groups each workout then give them a week to recover.

Even though your arms will get worked by compound lifts it’s useful, if you’ve got anything left in them, to ‘finish them off’ with an isolation at the end.

However, if you do bicep isolations on chest day or triceps on back day you mess up the recovery time for your arms and reduce the effectiveness of the routine.

Last edited:
That's basically it.. your tri's will be pushing for just about every routine on chest day. *any* form of pressing uses your tri's, and heavily at that if you are pushing enough.

Likewise for bi's on back day.. everything involves pulling so bi's get mullered.

It's not so much that you're wasting your time, but in practice you probably won't have the energy to work them much.

As for how much to push, as long as you have good form, and no joint pain, push as much as you want. :)

It re\ally depends on what you respond to best. I train Triceps on the traditional chest day but i also add in some isolated work on shoulder day too (i work on a 10 day cycle) The way i see things is this; If i train triceps on back day then come chest or shoulder day, which is unlikely to be far away in a normal schedule, i wont be able to push as much due to my triceps being fatigued. I cant see the sense in training a muscle that is NOT directly involved in the major compounds you are doing that day. For me its simple compound/isolation/drop set rinse and repeat. Simple = success if you ask me

Quick question - can anyone tell me what they normally shrug in comparison to their deadlift? I don't really shrug to be honest but in the gym there seems to be a massive range in weight, maybe just because some people cheat it more than others.

still doing some GVT style training on the major compounds, managed 10*10 bench at 34k each DB today, followed by four sets of ten each, flys, dips and DB pullovers

DB's at mine go to 40k so working way up to 10*10 of them, no free bench BB only smith

gotta love the intensity of GVT though

but DL's and squats dont half hurt though :-)

Quick question - can anyone tell me what they normally shrug in comparison to their deadlift? I don't really shrug to be honest but in the gym there seems to be a massive range in weight, maybe just because some people cheat it more than others.

I see guys who rack the bar right up when shrugging and then execute the move with really bad form that I doubt is really hitting the traps as intended.

As part of WSFB, I was doing a lot of shrugging. At the time I started WSFB, my top DL was 195kg (I dropped DL for WSFB). I started shrugging at 90kg (3 sets, 12 reps), with the traps doing all the work and a really nice big squeeze and hold at the top of each rep. By my 15th week on WSFB I was doing 110kg (3 sets, 12 reps) or 45kg dumbells. Maybe I could have done more, but they were always my last exercise on ME/DE upper days.

A nice 'finisher' to hit the traps is to grab some dumbells and then shrug as explosively as you can for 30 seconds flat.

Same as PAz really, I've seen people shrug 200-300kg and use the bend of the bar to get up the next rep (with NO squeeze).

I can deadlift 200kg for a few at the moment and rarely go over 100kg for shrugs, generally favouring haney rear shrugs.

My traps are awesome compared to the guys lifting 2-3x the weight...

Then again I don't really rate shrugs that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom