Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday's session - forgot to type it up:

Usual RC work that I've been doing (takes me about 10 mins to complete)

BORs:

12x60
10x70
10x80
8x90
8x100
6x120
DS:15x60

T-Bar rows:

10x60kg
10x80kg
8x100kg
8x120kg
12x80kg
15x80kg

Bent over cable pull downs:

5x10x100kg

Side lateral raises:

10x5kg
10x7.5kg
10x7.5kg
10x10kg
7x12kg

EZ-bar french press // superset with single arm cable tricep extension

10x27.5 // 10x10kg
10x27.5 // 10x10kg
8x32.5 // 8x15kg
8x32.5 // 8x15kg
6x37.5 // 6x20kg

Single arm overhead tricep extension:

8x10
8x10
8x12
6x14
5x16.5

Lat pull downs (WG):

10x70
10x80
10x90

Narrow grip:

12x100
9x100
7x100

BW Chins 3x5reps

FIN.

Good work out but didn't feel beastly for some reason :/ Dunno, I'm losing weight at the moment but can't workout if it's bulk I'm losing or BF - my gf says my face looks a bit thinner - so maybe it is BF, but we'll see. With my shoulder being the way it is I think I haven't been pushing myself.

Well done for stepping in mate, the world needs more people who are willing to help :)

Would it be possible to join a gym for a month while you are healing? Most gyms will have a lot of equipment you can use without using your hands much if at all, especially for legs.

Yeah i guess i can. There's a couple down the road from me that i might pop into and have a look at. I was wanting to join the boxing gym for quite some time so i guess i'll start there.

What a damn stupid time to hand my notice in with no new job to go to :(

Yeah i guess i can. There's a couple down the road from me that i might pop into and have a look at. I was wanting to join the boxing gym for quite some time so i guess i'll start there.

What a damn stupid time to hand my notice in with no new job to go to :(
Keep your chin up mate - I'm sure something will come your way :)

As they say . . a video speaks for itself. Here's my first deadlift video:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqe4wJsvj0U

Quite gutted really. After the first form it seems I'm starting to use my back more.

Recently I lowered my weights to get the form right but it seems when I start adding the weights it turns out poor. I start 5x5 in a week or 2 depending on how things go with moving and I really need to perfect the DL.

I'd appreciate any input - cheers.

Anyone got any good suggestions for slow releasing protein food before I sleep at around 300kcal (Obv I could just adjust quantities)? I've read quark somewhere in this thread I think, any others?
Currently I tend to be having a protein shake with milk which probably could be improved upon.

Last edited:
Anyone got any good suggestions for slow releasing protein food before I sleep at around 300kcal (Obv I could just adjust quantities)? I've read quark somewhere in this thread I think, any others?
Currently I tend to be having a protein shake with milk which probably could be improved upon.

scroll up a little bit and:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14324397&postcount=2272

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14324397&postcount=2273

Also casein is meant to be slow releasing as well isn't it?

Hey guys, I could do with a bit of advice.

At the minute things are going well, and I am making progress in most aspects of my training. However, I seem to of hit a brick wall with my bench press which is 53 kg for reps now.

I was wondering if maybe it was time I switched to a 5 x 5 routine for a couple of months to get my strength up, and then come back at the mass building fresh and able to use better weights.

I was thinking of doing the 5 x 5 with all of my big compounds (mainly because I feel that all of my weights could do with being raised), or would you fellas suggest implementing them for the whole routine?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Hey guys, I could do with a bit of advice.

At the minute things are going well, and I am making progress in most aspects of my training. However, I seem to of hit a brick wall with my bench press which is 53 kg for reps now.

I was wondering if maybe it was time I switched to a 5 x 5 routine for a couple of months to get my strength up, and then come back at the mass building fresh and able to use better weights.

I was thinking of doing the 5 x 5 with all of my big compounds (mainly because I feel that all of my weights could do with being raised), or would you fellas suggest implementing them for the whole routine?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Personnaly...Im not very keen on 5x5's...but it may work for you. What I would advise is Pyramiding your benching session to improve size and strength. After warm up....do a set or two of a weight where u can do 10-12 reps...then keep adding 5 Kg per set until you can only do 4-5 reps. When at your heaviest weight....do 2 sets (of 4-5reps)...then drop some weight and rep till absolute failure twice before finishing. You should end up struggling to do 8 of the first weight in the session (of which you managed 10-12 of easily at first).
This is the way I train most of the major compound exercises...if feel its give a good blend of heavy weight and high volume at the same time...and nothing else ive tried give me quite the same workout. But hey..everyones different...so try something for a few weeks...if it doesnt feel like its impoooving much after 3-4 weeks...try something else.

Last edited:
Personnaly...Im not very keen on 5x5's...but it may work for you. What I would advise is Pyramiding your benching session to improve size and strength. After warm up....do a set or two of a weight where u can do 10-12 reps...then keep adding 5 Kg per set until you can only do 4-5 reps. When at your heaviest weight....do 2 sets (of 4-5reps)...then drop some weight and rep till absolute failure twice before finishing. You should end up struggling to do 8 of the first weight in the session (of which you managed 10-12 of easily at first).
This is the way I train most of the major compound exercises...if feel its give a good blend of heavy weight and high volume at the same time...and nothing else ive tried give me quite the same workout. But hey..everyones different...so try something for a few weeks...if it doesnt feel like its impoooving much after 3-4 weeks...try something else.

Sounds interesting, will give it a go tonight.

If I don't return in the next 2 weeks, please hold a forum funeral for me and dish out my posts to the highest bidder :D

Is there much difference between ready brek and porridge other than the price? I normally have ready brek at home with a scoop of protein, but i've been told porridge is the one to go for!?

Scrapping DB press for the Bar for a few weeks. Found I get a better stretch and a better pump, might be that my (DB press form needs perfecting). Found it a lot less tiring than using DB's in regards to the reps, and also not having to pick the bloody things up and sling them about.

Flat Bench WU:

60KGx10

Working:
70KGx10
80KGx10
90KGx10
90KGx8

Incline (smith)

WU:

40kg x 10

Working

50KGx10
60KGx10
70KGx10
70KG( I think, cant remember?!) x 9

Followed by 4 sets of flat cable flyes, 4 incline cable flyes

CGBP:

60KGx10x4

and then some tricep isolation. Felt good, fresh change was nice too!

Nice work, how long did it take you to hit 100kg from starting training?

I've been purposely strength/mass training for about 10months. Before that was just "leisurely spending time at the gym" in hindsight. :) About 18months ago I nearly dropped 50kg BP on my face because it was too much, to give some sort of scale. :)

Last edited:
"Nice work, how long did it take you to hit 100kg from starting training?"

I've been purposely strength/mass training for about 10months. Before that was just "leisurely spending time at the gym" in hindsight. :) About 18months ago I nearly dropped 50kg BP on my face because it was too much, to give some sort of scale. :)

There's a bit of mental block around 100KG I found. After about 9 months of training, more sort of training what I wanted when I wanted, I eventually pushed a max rep from about 85/90 upto 100KG. After another 9 months with proper training and a much better diet I see another 20KG on top of that, on a good day!:p from a comfortable set with 60KG when I first started to a comfortable set with 85/90KG has taken around 18 months.

The weight you can push is all relative to your size and weight. If you weighed 50KG pushing 100KG would be mighty impressive, but also rather unrealistic without serious dedication and training. I think I read somewhere on here that a good 1rm bench is about 150% body weight.

quoting Morba 'eat like a horse, train like a daemon, sleep like a baby' and anythings possible!

Keep your chin up mate - I'm sure something will come your way :)

As they say . . a video speaks for itself. Here's my first deadlift video:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqe4wJsvj0U

Quite gutted really. After the first form it seems I'm starting to use my back more.

Recently I lowered my weights to get the form right but it seems when I start adding the weights it turns out poor. I start 5x5 in a week or 2 depending on how things go with moving and I really need to perfect the DL.

I'd appreciate any input - cheers.

Not bad but you need to drive with your legs more - you're doing slightly 2 movements, a pendlay row, followed by a goodmorning/SLDL :) Looking lean and strong mate :) Next challenge do that with double overhand grip ;)

Next challenge do that with double overhand grip ;)

I've always deadlifted double overhand, is this harder?

Was thinking that perhaps I should alternate, have palms facing eachother effectively (one overhand one underhand)? Would this train the shoulders/back a little more? make it an easier? affect core stability? what are your thoughts FF or anyone for that matter!

I'd be careful of ripping a bicep doing that sort of thing as it gets heavier. I try and use mixed grip as it gets too heavy for double overhand up to 150kg is ok but after that I need to mix - double overhand is harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom