Project: Hush! - updated 26/12/23

Soldato
OP
Time for an update. :)

I changed the method by which I put the fins on;- before I had deooxidised the copper pipe prior to putting new fins on, now I instead changed to using strips of 120 grit wet'n'dry with sellotape on the back to strengthen, which I used to sand about 4cm of the pipes, flux and slide fins on (I had already filed the holes of):

PIC OF SANDED PIPES

pictures983.jpg

pictures967.jpg

All the heatfins are now on, and the pipes have been trimmed down.

PICS OF MONSTROSITY

pictures1015.jpg

pictures1042.jpg

pictures1047.jpg

pictures1049.jpg

pictures1054.jpg

pictures1015.jpg

pictures1030.jpg

pictures1036.jpg

I've decided to make the manifold/plenum from copper - it'll have an inner box made from thin copper (0.152mm thick) joined to the end fin by solder paste, and strengthened with some of the thicker 0.9mm thick copper made from 4 leftover copper strips I had.

My friend Robin has some nice tools and machines, so I asked him to maked the inlet, outlet, fillpoint and drain port for the radiator from the 25mm diameter copper bosses I had.

PIC OF LATHE

pictures1058.jpg

After making 11.8mm holes with the lathe the copper bosses were tapped on the lathe with a BSP 1/4 tap, cut with a circular saw mill bit and then fly-cut on the mill to give a beautiful smooth shiny surface, which doesn't really come across in the photos:

MACHINING

pictures1060.jpg

pictures1065.jpg

pictures1071.jpg

pictures1056.jpg

PORTS DONE -

pictures1086.jpg

pictures1093.jpg

pictures1095.jpg

I'd bought a roll of thin copper when I started the project:

PIC OF COPPER ROLL

pics038.jpg

PIC OF ROUGHLY HOW THE BOX WILL GO TOGETHER
The sides look angled and messed up at the moment, since only some of the flaps of copper have been soldered together. I need to be able to open the box at this stage in order to press it against the end-heatfins to make good contact when being soldered to the side of the box with the slits (the pipe ends will protrude through these slits). The rest of the thin-walled box will then be closed up and soldered into place, and reinforcing 0.9mm copper strips soldered to the outside of the box and the inlet, outlet, fillport and drain port soldered on.

pictures1096.jpg

pictures1097.jpg

pictures1111.jpg

pictures1114.jpg

Sadly the project will have to take a short hiatus since I'm moving away for work next week and won't be able to take it with me, so finishing it off will have to be done when I can take a week's holiday. :(

Soldato
Amazing. But how are you going to connected all of the tubes to the res? And to the components... and isn't it going to take one hell of a pump to get all the water around? Or do you want to use natural convection? Also, since it's copper i'd hope you were using anti corrosive fluid, and given how expensive it is and how much of it you'd need... bye bye wallet :p

Associate
Have you got an illustration of what its going to look like when its finished?

I mean looking at those pics its already the size of 3x mid tower lian-li's its going to be mahooosive!

Looking great btw :)

Soldato
OP
Looks great and can see a lot of max hours gone into it!

Yep, a lot of hours. Annoyingly I won't be able to get time to fnish it for a while, but there's not that much left to do - the trickiest, most time-consuming parts have been done.

Amazing. But how are you going to connected all of the tubes to the res? And to the components... and isn't it going to take one hell of a pump to get all the water around? Or do you want to use natural convection? Also, since it's copper i'd hope you were using anti corrosive fluid, and given how expensive it is and how much of it you'd need... bye bye wallet :p

The box with the slits in one face is the plenum/manifold. The side with slits in is going to be soldered to the end heatfin, so that the pipes are inside the manifold/plenum and sealed.

It shouldn't take too strong a pump to get water round it, but in all honesty time will tell.

Have you got an illustration of what its going to look like when its finished?

I'm going to keep that as a surprise - it's more interesting seeing something you weren't necessarily expecting imo. :) I got a load of aluminium angle and flat bar/plate last week to make the supporting frame...

I mean looking at those pics its already the size of 3x mid tower lian-li's its going to be mahooosive!

Nah, it's only a bit taller than the pc-7 in the pics, and twice as wide (~45cm wide).

Looking great btw :)

Cheers!

Soldato
Wow! Only just seen this. You have some amazing skills, can't wait to see what the finished article will look like. Going by the size of this thing, it'd be able to cool several rigs passively no? What sort of hardware will it be cooling when your are done?

/Subscribed :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the positive comments guys.

Wow! Only just seen this. You have some amazing skills, can't wait to see what the finished article will look like. Going by the size of this thing, it'd be able to cool several rigs passively no? What sort of hardware will it be cooling when your are done?

/Subscribed :)

I suppose it could potentially house and cool 2 systems. Would be a tight squeeze and the second graphics card might hamper airflow though.

Will probably only initially cool a xeon3060(e6600 basically) and a 4850, but I expect I'll upgrade around christmas time, and might add in some chipset blocks. I have time off in september so hopefully can get it completed then.

Soldato
Monkey Puzzle sorry I didn't get round to having a look at those equations. I've been tied up with a bit of work of my own.

Looking great though. Look like you don't need any help! Brilliant stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom