BennyC's Intermittent Fasting & HST Journal

Soldato
OP
Second workout of 15's today. Much easier than the first! Thing training after my deload for 2 weeks was a massive shock to the body! Especially such high reps! Slept like a LOG after last session! Not even the slightest feeling of a chunky yawn coming on today. Pump central too.

Soldato
OP
Hows the 15's going this time around now?

15's are going okay. Certain exercises the second set will fall a few reps short due to fatigue but I make sure I always get the full first set out. As long as the progressive load is there and roughly the same volume that's what counts.

Felt a bit of a throat cold coming on Sunday and yesterday at work. By the end of my workout yesterday I was shattered. Also need more carbs on my training days I feel, as I was completely K.O'd after the workout. I literally came in ate, slept for 45 minutes, ate again, watched tv for half an hour, ate again and went to bed! Feeling much better today and will up my carbs a little for the rest of the 15's.

Soldato
OP
This throat cold is being a bit of a PITA. Felt like someone took a dump in my throat for the last 2 days. Had a minor headache, hearing is a little bit muffled and nose has been running a bit along with a nice butch cough.

5th session of 15's today. Didn't go to hard due to the cold and I did up my carbs the last 2 days with the form of couscous with both evening meals to help me get over this and keep energy levels up.

Fell a few reps short on a couple of exercises today and however first sets have been no problem. Could be due to being over ambitious with the weights or just the fact I've a cold. Either way I'm not too worried as the 15 rep range isn't something I really care about!

Progressive load is still present and frequency is maintained. I will weigh in in a few days time when I'm back to 100%.

Giving blood next Tuesday on my off day which hopefully shouldn't affect the workout the following day too much. Excuse to pig out :D Wouldn't dream of donating during 15's! :eek: I have fallen victim to a fair few biscuits the last few days but gotta live a little and I'm not cutting so meh :)

Associate
+1 on being ill. It sucks :(.

Sounds like whatever it is that I have, that combine with crap loads of physics work to do makes Dom a sad boy :(

/winge

Good to see you're still loving HST :)

Soldato
Looking good in those latest pics Benny. About the 'unimportance of eating every 3 hours' what was your eating pattern like before you switched to IF and was it a sudden change of habits to your current regime.
I'm considering IF but im not sure if theres any benefit as i dont need to be losing any fat just putting on muscle. Plus i start feeling hungry only a couple of hours after eating even when its to the point of bursting :D

Soldato
OP
Looking good in those latest pics Benny. About the 'unimportance of eating every 3 hours' what was your eating pattern like before you switched to IF and was it a sudden change of habits to your current regime.

It was you typical every few hours.

Infact it was like:
6:45am: 4 scrambled eggs
9am: half sandwich
10am: half sandwich
12: Shake & apple
1:30/2: half sandwich
3/4: half sandwich
6: PWO shake
7: Dinner
9/10: Pre bed shake

So it was small and very frequent portions.

I'm considering IF but im not sure if theres any benefit as i dont need to be losing any fat just putting on muscle. Plus i start feeling hungry only a couple of hours after eating even when its to the point of bursting :D

No reason why you can't gain muscle on IF. I've found I'm naturally leaner due to it/HST. Other benefits such as improved sleep to consider too.

Soldato
OP
Some back shots. Final 15's tomorrow. Feeling better from the cold bit still a bit stuffy in the head with a minor headache. Binged a bit/comfort ate *rollseyes*. Also had couscous with my evening meal for the last 3 nights as a mini carb re-load.

Not pumped here were as in my last back shot I am.

(previous progress - https://img.skitch.com/20110125-8qmugw2uig4wa92y82dck4u69s.jpg) Not a great deal since then as there was 2 week de-load.cut and then 2 weeks of 15's (during Feb) which tends to improve conditioning & recovery as opposed to pack on size.

20110303-csnkeq1fr5uixuc9s4s4jf6tb7.jpg

Trying to show a bit of thickness...

20110303-q3wtn89yfmasdnheya16q1m1e7.jpg

Posing is a bit better though don't think I was square on to the camera. Arm's are down to 16"/just under :/ though they don't look it. Shall see how the heavy cable curls will pay off over the next 4 weeks.

Will work some DL's & hangcleans into my next HST cycle I think. Miss those lifts and haven't done them in ages! Probably add in some seated DB shoulder press and some lat pull downs for variety. After the third cycle of HST I will go back to a split for a few weeks before deciding where to go with my training next.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last session of 15's today. Failed my 15th rep on the first set of bench @ 85KG. So got pinned and had to tip to bar on to one end in an attempt to get out until someone spotted and gave me a hand :/ second set I racked after 10 as I was almost beat anyway!

Not to worried about hitting the reps as I've been ill and seem to be making progress anyway. Got a pretty good pump from todays session. I was feeling a bit lethargic so it wasn't quite as intense as normal but by no means easy or slack. Arm pump measured 16.5" and chest/back was hovering around 47". Didn't bother measuring my legs as squats were done about an hour ago by this point!

10's should be interesting.

Soldato
OP
First session of 10's today. Not much really to comment on! Felt good to be shifting some slightly heavier weight again and not be so out of breath! Did binge a bit on cheese & biscuits this weekend though I was bored ******** so had to do something and the car was already sparkling!

Soldato
OP
Second session of 10's.

I gave blood yesterday though this didn't really seem to affect my workout though I did miss a rep on my final set of bench & pullups. I had been working in with 2 lads volume training so rest periods were a bit hectic and I hadn't actually sat down between exercises either. Still felt good and strong though. Got some good glute activation on squats today which took some load of my hips.

Weight's up half a kilo, so about a lb, most likely from binging a bit and having eaten a mountain of pasta & pancakes yesterday! As I'm focusing the cycle on gaining size and mass it's a step in the right direction.

Vascularity it up too giving the nurse yesterday a choice of 3 veins :D

Soldato
OP
A brief update.

Weight yesterday morning was 86.9KG. Despite having upped my calorie intake by between 3-600 calories the first few days. Found myself just being a bit hungrier and this cycles aim is to pack on some size so it makes sense!

Trainings going well. Missed a rep or 2 on second set of bench last Friday although I was feeling quite tired come the time to train as I had been quite busy in the day for a change.

Generally speaking I'm not too worried about missing reps as it's not X amount of reps that causes hypertrophy but the progressive load.

I start my fast a little earlier in the evening. Sometimes just after 7PM sometimes 7:30PM usually straight after dinner so that I feel fuller.

Not much more to report!

Soldato
looking good benny I've been following this since you started and i've had a good read of the lean gains website and I made a start with the diet over the last couple of weeks and other than being staving in the mornings training in the afternoon has been fantastic, loads more energy.

I'm starting HST today and have one question about sets could i do something like, 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 for the next 6 weeks? Then repeat the 3x5s for 2 more weeks?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I'm starting HST today and have one question about sets could i do something like, 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 for the next 6 weeks? Then repeat the 3x5s for 2 more weeks?

Thanks.

That is the general idea. Though I think you'll find 1 set of 15's too low volume. I'd recommend 2 sets, whilst it's tough it's worth the benefits and it'll make the rest of the routine easier.

You can either carry the 5's on for 2 more weeks, do 2 weeks of negatives or just start the deconditioning period. I found going in to the deconditioning period suited me at the time. Wouldn't have minded doing negatives but I don't have a TP and my right shoulder had been niggling at me. Depending on how well you guage your 5rm I think 4 weeks could be overkill but see how you get on.

Soldato
Ok thanks, I train on my own so no negatives for me. Yes i see what you Mean about the 5s. Do you have to have two weeks off before starting again? Think i'd go mad after two weeks without training but if it's a must then so be it.

Thanks for your time :)

Soldato
OP
I had a week off where I did some more cardio on my first week off. My second week off I did my next cycles RM's. So the Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday the second week were rest days. With the RM sessions not being that taxing.

Soldato
I had a week off where I did some more cardio on my first week off. My second week off I did my next cycles RM's. So the Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday the second week were rest days. With the RM sessions not being that taxing.

Ok sounds good many thanks.:)

Soldato
OP
Finished the first week of 5's today.

I'm getting a little tired of a few exercises and some I'm finding tougher than others.

Still seeing results though which is encouraging. Though a big part of me just wants to go 'screw it' and start deadlifting again and doing some high rep set squats. I haven't touched a pair of DB's for any pressing in about 5 months either!

Another week to go and then onto a 3/4 week cut. I have the 11 days around the royal wedding booked off work around the end of April so I can get fasted cardio in for around 2 weeks at the end of the cut. Most likely will use a push/pull split and see how I get on.

Weight was around 87.5KG last time I checked.

Soldato
Benny, have you read this regarding fasted cardio?

"At the established intensity level of peak fat oxidation (~63% VO2 max), carbohydrate increases performance without any suppression of fat oxidation in trained subjects"

Might be worth having a look through parts 1 and 2 as well, for anyone interested in that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom