BennyC's Intermittent Fasting & HST Journal

Man of Honour
Glad you're enjoying it mate. A deload is a good idea if stacking the cycle, but don't worry too much as the 15s are such a totally different ball game. I'm going to take a little time off, but then I'm going back into low rep work afterwards.

Soldato
OP
Glad you're enjoying it mate. A deload is a good idea if stacking the cycle, but don't worry too much as the 15s are such a totally different ball game. I'm going to take a little time off, but then I'm going back into low rep work afterwards.

Yeah, I'm very aware of the importance of the de-load and I'm looking forward to it as I can focus on cardio for that week. I'll then probably use the second week off to workout my RM's for the next cycle.

However the brilliant thing is right now fatigue/exhaustion is almost non existent. A week off will be a nice welcome break though I don't feel like 'Ohh sweet jesus I need to sleep for a month!' like I did after GVT. I'm already looking forward to starting the second cycle and I've not even finished the first! Not looking forward to the 15's at the moment though lol! I won't be able to train these fasted again so it'll be interesting to see if I notice as much composition difference from not training them fasted. I'm certain it won't be quite so grueling and not being sick this time would be a welcome bonus!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, I'm very aware of the importance of the de-load and I'm looking forward to it as I can focus on cardio for that week. However the brilliant thing is right now fatigue/exhaustion is almost non existent. A week off will be a nice welcome break. I'll then probably use the second week off to workout my RM's for the next cycle.
Yes fair enough, that's exactly what I'm doing (although the maxes are for a different program).

Not looking forward to the 15's at the moment! I won't be able to train these fasted again so it'll be interesting to see if I notice as much composition difference from not training them fasted.
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this mate. I've always found the 15s a huge shock to the system and lost bodyfat every time I've done a cycle.

Soldato
OP
....Sounds like a........... interesting night. :p

Nice dips/pull ups.

Gobbler. Nom nom nom.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this mate. I've always found the 15s a huge shock to the system and lost bodyfat every time I've done a cycle.

In a way I'm hoping the fasted training had little to do with the change in composition. It's definitely challenging to say the least.

Soldato
OP
Having worked out the third week of 5's finishing weights. It should look like this:

Squat: 147.5KG
Press: 67.5KG
SLDL: 132.5KG
Bench: 115KG
Pullup: +25KG
Lateral Raise: Bands
Seated Row: 125KG
Dips: +45/47.5KG
Curl: Thinking of using cables for this(see how it goes)
Standing Calf Raise: 137.5KG
Shrug: 137.5KG

This is the order I've found I've adopted for the most part. Mostly due to layout & convienience. Whilst there is a more logical order, moving the BB out, setting up the plates, performing the exercise and then having to put it all away again to get it back out 10 minutes later is impractical and a waste of time so I do all the BB work together at the start.

Looking back at those if you'd have asked me if I thought I could have managed those weights for 1 set of 5 I'd have said it'd be unlikely or very difficult. Now I'm quite confident I could complete all three sets.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some front comparisons from October to now 1 workout away from finishing the first 2 weeks of 5's. Posing, lighting and angles are all slightly different unfortunately but hopefully you can see and agree that I've not really lost any size whilst managing to lean out.

This are more for a reference before I restrict calories for 2 weeks or so as opposed to 'look at my progressions' as I've said 6 weeks isn't a lot of time. I was in probably slightly worse shape come December due to over eating and then also X-mas.

Lats are popped here, I don't walk around like I'm carrying carpets.

20110202-xegw4hc5ur2b9www5qyg1w7qdx.jpg

20110202-tckt24d997xr7urre8s4tcmk1j.jpg

(Sorry, not as pr0 on photoshop as I thought!)

Not quite sure if the photo's big enough to see some striation in the middle of my chest. Delts get a little vascular during side raises and also curls :cool:

Yes I have recently man-scaped in-case you were wondering where my body hair has gone :p

Edit: Weight before was usually between 92/93KG. Dropped down to high 88's I think? And now back up to about 90.6KG (This is an evening weight, will weigh myself tomorrow morning)

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty drastic difference there for the time frame! Chest and lower torso looking vastly better.

The fasting definitely seems to be having some side effects with your face though:D

Soldato
OP
Pretty drastic difference there for the time frame! Chest and lower torso looking vastly better.

Ta. I've not been on a restricted diet either so I'm very much looking forward to the deconditioning where I'll do 1/2 weeks of cardio working into a deficit.

The fasting definitely seems to be having some side effects with your face though:D

Constant gurn for food, as a result I've eaten my face.

Soldato
OP
Great progress mate, seems to be working very well for you. What will you be doing for cardio during the deload?

Cheers,

It'll probably be a combination of 30-40 minutes x-trainer or rowing. On a moderate intensity. After all it is a deload so I don't want to kill myself for a week. I'm consider 2 days of the week doing Tabata on the rower followed by 20-30 minutes of SS cardio. Incline walk may be an option too but takes a while to burn the calories so will probably opt for my first choices.

I'll drop my calories by around 3-500 calories and then burn around that amount again via CV which will put me just under my BMR. Considering I have a desk job this should be fine as other than the gym I don't require any other extra calories.

Soldato
Sounds like you've got it sorted! I wish I had the will power for longer cardio sessions but I just can't hack any more than 10 minutes, so I guess it's HIIT for me. Apart from the calorie deficit, are you going to change your diet/supplements at all to minimise muscle wastage?

I did my first set of 15s on Tuesday and I'm really surprised by the DOMS. My hams feel so tight and achy, SLDLs are going to be pretty much impossible today!

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you've got it sorted! I wish I had the will power for longer cardio sessions but I just can't hack any more than 10 minutes, so I guess it's HIIT for me. Apart from the calorie deficit, are you going to change your diet/supplements at all to minimise muscle wastage?

I'll probably increase my BCAA intake but other than that I don't plan on changing much else. Not really using anything other than that at the moment :)

I did my first set of 15s on Tuesday and I'm really surprised by the DOMS. My hams feel so tight and achy, SLDLs are going to be pretty much impossible today!

Once you get over the 15's it becomes much more enjoyable. Stick it out it's worth it!

Progress pics are looking good mate, making great progress.

I think you're right in going with the cross trainer for cardio :)

Cheers mate. Aye, I like it along with the rower as it's very rhythmic and I can quite easily zone out whilst maintaining intensity ( or lack of!). I don't think my joints would last very long with impact CV and heavy lifting.

Soldato
Great progress Benny and I don't know how I could keep my noisy stomach at bay in the morning fast!! So kudos to you!
Pics are def showing improvements :)
If your gym has a pool, could try some swimming for CV, I personally think there is nothing better.

Soldato
OP
Today's final session of 5's went like this:

Squat: 140KG x 5 x 3
Press: 62.5KG x 5 x 3
SLDL: 125KG x 5 x 3
Bench: 110KG x 5 x 3
Pull up: + 20KG x 5 x 3
Lateral Raise: Bands, heavy resistance x 5 x 3
Seated Row: 115KG x 5 x 3
Dips: + 40KG x 5 x 3
DB Hammer Curl: 22.5KG x 5 x 3
Smith Calf Raise: 130KG x 5 x 3
BB Shrugs: 130KG x 5 x 3

Went well, squats were tough, bench felt good, dips didn't pose any problems.

Feeling quite tired which I have a feeling might be due to last weekend taking it out of me. Though more just be due to the frequent heavy lifting. Trying to sort out moving out from home/finding property has probably elevated stress levels a little which might be another factor. I will see how I feel as I might continue with another session or two (start a third week of 5's) or just start the deconditioning period if I still feel tired. The shoulder strain/niggle is still present and I don't want to keep training on it and potentially risk injury.

Will keep this update with how I feel over the weekend. Very very happy with my composition and size at the moment and reasonably happy with my b/f levels (vascularity is still increasing). Been an amazing improvement in just six weeks if I do say so myself. Particularly in strength.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom