The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beta not even out, however I'm using devloper preview as an every day os. Few issues, other than it doesn't like iPhones/iPads and I assume iPods.

Probably a permanent "feature" :D

Does it run 3D apps ok? Assume it's as good as W7? Tempted to give the developer preview a go but at the same time might wait till Feb for the beta (if the rumours are true.)

What do you mean 3d apps?

I run paint.net, open office, mine craft, swtor, kerbalspaceprogram, 7zip, Superantispyware
Must be others but can't think of them and it's fine. Well I got a tiny problem I think something went wrong at some point I get an error message about esnt which appears to be something to do with windows live. But everything still works and it only poped up recently.

As for apple, it appears to be a driver issue, it dongs to say device connected, but nothing shows up in iTunes.

But yeah I would wait, really not worth it ATM as there's about 3 metro apps. Microsoft has confirmed marketplace will go live in feb and they showed of a hole host of new keyboard and mouse controls. So I'm expecting a beta to be out at the same time. I would wait.

Last edited:
Can't wait for CES tomoz to find out some more juicy deets on Windows 8.

I hope they do the launch party scheme again, I participated last time, still got all the stuff they sent.

Here's a pic of my party.

2q9f0xd.jpg

LMFAO!! :p

Count me in!

Are the beta versions anywhere near using as a day to day OS with light gaming?

In my limited experience with the beta on my 'old' PC, I'd say no. I noticed a fair few odd little niggles here and there, so I imagine day-to-day they'd be more obvious.

I'll be interested to see what the beta is like, I'm not a huge fan of it so far though. I like what's been added and improved in the 'desktop' side of things, but I don't see the Metro panel being very useful on a normal desktop or notebook PC so it's annoying that they seem to want to replace the Start menu with it, it makes things so much more awkward.

Why does the average home user need a desktop? They simply don't and metro is a much better "desktop" for the home user.

As for switching from one to the other, that doesn't happen if you don't want to. Once your in desktop I can stay in desktop for weeks at a time with out switching between the two.
The transition is also fast, so if you do need to go to control panel it's hardly difficult, or just open it once and pin it to task bar.

Once apps are released, metro will actually have a use.

What nigles do you get?

Metro is better for the "average" home user, but it's also better/quicker for pretty much anyone, including for work use...

First, look at the current start menu on Vista / 7...

0083.png

... As you can see theres a VERY tiny space that lists your installed programs which you have to scroll through constantly. What makes things worse is that you have to hunt through folders and sub folders to find something. When opening all these folders it makes the list longer so you have to scroll even more. On my monitors (2560x1600) this really is an insane waste of space as no matter how high your displays resolution is the list does not scale with res and only ever shows 20 folders / programs! :confused:

One way to solve some of these problems is to use the old XP style menu's (heres an example when used on Win 8)...

2727.png

... This atleast makes more use of space - but it's still a total mess to look at, and you still have to search through sub folders, which again makes sub menu's appear, sometimes going down a few layers of sub menu's. It's also awkward when you do have to scroll up and down as the list auto scroll's and sometimes goes past stuff you're looking for. So once again, not exactly great.

Now we have Metro...

7433.png

... With this it finally uses the whole screen to display software/apps. And this scales with screen res, showing more apps with larger displays, so on my 2560x1600 display i'm going to get a **** load of apps shown to me - 150 to be exact! compared to just 20 on Vista / 7. It's also organised in alphabetical groups with larger easy to recognise icons, plus you can simply start typing and it automatically searches as you type (no need for a search box).

Yes Metro takes up the whole screen (which is GOOD thing) so if you're watching a video it will get in the way, but with these cases you simply pin your most used apps to the taskbar as you would in Win 7. According to MS's stats taken from millions of PC's, 88% of app launches don’t actually originate from the Start menu anyway, they're from the taskbar, Explorer, and the desktop.

BTW the above pic is different from the Dev Preview - MS has improved Metro and the apps screen since then. And if anyones wondering you can get to this apps screen in Win 8 by hovering in the bottom left corner of the Start Button –> Search. Or by pressing Windows Key + S (i think).

Last edited:
you can change the height of the start menu in windows 7

start%20menu.png

(clean install of 2008 R2 but it's the same thing :p)

i hope the metro screen is easier to organise in the beta of windows 8. it's crap in the dev preview.

Lol never knew you could do that :eek:

But it still dont automatically scale with screen res. Metro is still an improvement :)

i hope the metro screen is easier to organise in the beta of windows 8. it's crap in the dev preview.

They made organisation / customisation improvements for the Beta. Theres a post on the MS blog about it but cant remember which post it is...

Last edited:
Looks like a typical Windows laptop at first dont it:

1675.jpg

But BEHOLD!

1675.jpg

It's an actual Lenovo laptop that will be out for W8 launch. Think we'll see a lot of this stuff and many other interesting designs!

Also has a high quality IPS panel, not the cheap TN crud seen in almost all laptops screens.

I thought the screen disconnected but it doesn't. However can I have it as a gaming device, get rid of the big clumsy desktop. Then I would also wnat a normal tablet and a PV on a stick running w8 to plug into tv for film watching and general HTPC duties.

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga tech specs
The Yoga will come with a 13.3-inch edge-to-edge display with a high resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels. The panel supports up to ten points of input and it is exceptionally responsive to swipes from all the sides. The ultraportable machine features a density of 0.67 inches and weight of 3.1 pounds. The IdeaPad Yoga is powered by Intel Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM and 256GB of SSD storage. It will offer eight hours of battery backup.

Notable features
Windows 8: The Yoga is designed to run on Microsoft’s imminent Windows 8 update. The new version of Windows is slated to get public version mid this year. Windows 8 is both for tablets and desktops and the OS is to feature a new Metro-style interface and icons. So, the Yoga will do better with Windows 8, because it is both a tablet and laptop.

Convertible tablet: Well, the Yoga can convert to a tablet, an electronic slate for computing. However, it will have a large 13.3-inch screen. The tech world is keenly waiting for a tablet with Windows 8. Being a laptop, the Yoga features a comfy chiclet keyboard and a large ClickPad to help you provide inputs smoothly.

Large display: The Lenovo computer features a 13.3-inch large edge-to-edge screen. Of course, it is an Ultrabook with better performance and users can take it for many purposes from gaming to office use.

Lightweight and portable: With a weight of just 3.1 pounds and thickness of 0.67 pounds, the IdeaPad laptop is ultraportable. You won’t feel any effort to carry the Yoga in around your trips.

Price and availability
Lenovo plans to sell the IdeaPad Yoga for $1,199. It will be up for grabs late this year.

I5/i7 with a mid range gfx card would do me. Currently have a gtx280 and that's more than good enough. How's the inbuilt gfx on the i5?

Now I just need lytro to make a new camera, higher res, usb3 and a water proof case and I'm sorted.

When is Microsoft going to update hotmail, skydrive, live. They are so outdated and pretty horriable to use.

Last edited:
I5/i7 with a mid range gfx card would do me. Currently have a gtx280 and that's more than good enough. How's the inbuilt gfx on the i5?

Nowhere near as powerful as a GTX280, although fine for the basics e.g. Minecraft.

I'd love to move from a desktop to a tablet but alas there's too much a desktop has that a tablet doesn't that I need.

Oh and the Metro start screen looks good for searching for apps with the mouse, not that I do that, most stuff is in the taskbar and I use the search box for everything else.

Edit: I also don't like how the keyboard is exposed when in slate form on that Toshiba, would rather a rotating hinge so the keyboard stays protected.

You are better of waiting 4 weeks, for the beta. No set date. But it is almost certainly be out in feb and the devloper preview is surprisingly stable.

I tried the Windows 7 beta release and it was horrid, kept freezing all the time on my old system.

When Windows 8 BETA comes out I'm going to download is straight away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom