The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 8 will be offering two ways to refresh and reset your PC:

Reset your PC – Remove all personal data, apps, and settings from the PC, and reinstall Windows.

Refresh your PC – Keep all personal data, Metro style apps, and important settings from the PC, and reinstall Windows.​
There will also be a new tool that can be used to create a bootable USB flash drive, which can be used in cases when the copy of Windows RE on the hard drive won’t start.

More:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-and-reset-your-pc.aspx

I can't get this running smoothly inside virtualbox, despite having a beefy computer and hardware acceleration turned on. Anyone got it running smoothly? TIA

did you install the guest additions?

my pc isn't beasty at all and i had it running it OK with vmware. only the weather app was laggy because of the video background- the rest of it was fine.

Install it via VMWare Player, it's hardware accelerated and smooth as silk (for me). I could even play HD Flash videos up to 1080p no problems within Youtube etc.

Utilises dualscreen setup nicely too.

I tried to install guest additions but it wouldn't let me.

I'm downloading VMWare Player now, hopefully it's smoother.

Noob question but does any one know if it makes a difference to install the OS from just going to setup on the disk rather then booting from the DVD and following the standard format/install procedures on the booting screen?

The reason I ask is for the life of me I could not get it work that way, always had an error when formatting (seems quite common) so I just went ahead and booted into Windows 7, selected the Drive it was in and clicked setup and installed fine.

Is there a problem doing it this way?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/05/tobii-gazes-into-the-future-sees-you-navigating-windows-8-with/

You may be waiting with bated breath for Microsoft to hurry up and release Windows 8 PCs and tablets to the masses, but before they get here, there might a twist to the way you tweak'em. Tobii Technology intends to demo its new mouse-free interface at CES this month -- dubbed Tobii Gaze -- that it hopes'll revolutionize the way we interact with devices. The gesture-based system incorporates eye-tracking to direct an on-screen pointer and works in conjunction with touch pad input for "fine-tuning." The company's hoping this new interface'll help you toss out that antiquated clicker and embrace the world of Minority Report. Hey, it's inevitable and you know it.

:D

That is very cool, he over engage rates problems with touch screens, especially on tablets. But for laptops and pcs, that looks like an awesome system.

I installed win8 on my laptop. It's a 32 bit version. Working fine, but only one problem it is showing is that when the processor is busy the system shut-down saying sorry it has encountered a problem. It has been observed more than 20 times in my Laptop.

Good to hear that it now runs on VMware Player because initially it only ran in VMware Workstation.

not strictly true. the windows 8 compatible version of vwmare player (v4) was bundled with workstation 8 the same day the developer preview came out. they just didn't update the separate download presumably in an attempt to get more people using workstation.

Added some new stuff to my original thread post, but here it is...

> DirectX 11.1

Not much info on this yet, but this will mostly be a performance enhancer rather than something that adds many big new features (like with Tessellation on DX 11).
According to MS every individual DirectX graphics API is getting some kind of improvement in DX 11.1 - likely performance improvements and tweaks mostly for the mobile GPU's used in tablets, but there will be some improvements for desktops too.

> Storage Spaces

Big feature this. Many people were very annoyed when MS decided to remove Drive Extender feature from Windows Home Server 2011 (which was one of the best things about WHS). Well now it's back and even improved with Win 8, but now it's called Storage Spaces. What this basically lets you do is create a "pool" that contains multiple hard drives but the whole pool is treated as a single disk and appears as a single disk in Windows as well as to software or anything else. It's a bit like RAID but way more flexible, modern and easier to create. You get the performance from RAID-0, and the option to mirror data that you get with RAID-10. You can mirror data 2 or 3 times. If one disk dies the Storage Space will continue to work as normal and automatically create a new mirror of any data that was lost on the defective drive. You can also add as many new drives to the storage space as you like after it's been created. SSD's and HDD's can be used together (in different sizes too), as well as different connections like USB, SATA, or SAS, all in single Storage Space. Theres also no limitation to the amount of drives you can add, so in theory you can add a ton of SSD's and get insane performance.

Theres a lot more to Storage Spaces so check out the MS blog post.

...Storage Spaces will pretty much make many 3rd party software RAID options obsolete overnight. As well as hardware solutions like RAID storage enclosures and things like Drobo and ReadyNAS.

Last edited:
Install to VMWare problem.

When installing to VMWare it look for the product key, and there is none, and keeps looping and asking for the product key. Does anybody have a idea on how to solve this.

capture12a.png

I installed it by choosing the option when creating the VM itself that I wills elect to install OS later, just create a blank VM, then followed the install afterwards when choosing the ISO image path when editing the VM properties. If you select the ISO image when creating the VM itself, it fails (well did for me) and I assume you did it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom