The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for CES tomoz to find out some more juicy deets on Windows 8.

I hope they do the launch party scheme again, I participated last time, still got all the stuff they sent.

Here's a pic of my party.

2q9f0xd.jpg

Omg just watched the ces keynote on the iPad and I was just like, wow I want metro even tried to swipe once. Such a lovely interface.

Another snipet was windows market place will be launched in feb. woot! You recon that'll come with a beta version of w8. Wonder how many apps are on it, Hopfully developers have been developing since the free Samsung i5 tablet confrence.

Roll on windows8 glory. Will have Pc, tablet and phone.

In other ces videos, seems to be a lot of work done on keyboard and mouse gestures.
Scroll wheel on mouse now navigates you through metro, Carl and scroll wheel zooms out to show all start windows.

Last edited:
I think I will put my plans of getting an Ipad 3 and just get a tablet with Windows 8, why would I want to limit myself of what I can do on my first tablet.

iPad will be (even more) useless when Win 8 is out.

Imagine the Asus Transformer Prime with Win 8 on it, because thats what will start appearing soon. Tablets with keyboard docks that also have another battery in these docks that extend battery life further (up to 18 hours on the Prime). Then on top of all this you'll have a full blown OS, not some highly cut down mobile OS.

It will also pretty much kill laptop sales as they'd be no need for laptops anymore. The docks can also have extra connections and slots on them too - HDMI, DP, USB, card reader and so on (again like the Prime).

Win 8 will run of the exact same hardware used in the Prime (ARM quad-core). If i knew for sure that i could install Win 8 on the Prime and Asus dont somehow block it then i'd buy one right now.

At ces microsofts keynotes had a prototype tablet running on tegra3. However I think the prime is still useless for windows8 what pixels is it? You need 1388 wide minimum.

Edit -yup only 1280 wide so pointless.

At ces microsofts keynotes had a prototype tablet running on tegra3. However I think the prime is still useless for windows8 what pixels is it? You need 1388 wide minimum.

Theres a 1080p / 1920x1080 version of the Prime coming out late february i believe :) Asus announced it at CES. It's exactly the same as the current version, just a higher end model with a higher res screen.

The current Prime is 1280x800 but win 8 will work on lower than 1366x768 res - you just dont get all the metro features.

I don't know about anyone else but I can't wait until we see the hardware line up of tablets for Windows 8 on release.

TBH that Samsung Series 7 slate looks like a beast, I would get that but certainly not at a grand, the price needs to come down to like £500.

MSFT are going to dominate the tablet market with Windows 8, an Ipad is going to look ridiculous next to a Windows 8 tablet.

I don't know about anyone else but I can't wait until we see the hardware line up of tablets for Windows 8 on release.

TBH that Samsung Series 7 slate looks like a beast, I would get that but certainly not at a grand, the price needs to come down to like £500.

MSFT are going to dominate the tablet market with Windows 8, an Ipad is going to look ridiculous next to a Windows 8 tablet.

I agree!

But the Samsung Series 7 slate runs an Intel i5 that drains the battery in about 3 hours! lolz. Now that W8 runs on ARM i see no use for Intel core CPU's on Windows tablets... but Intel have a new Atom CPU coming out that finally competes with ARM on power usage. Still... i'd get ARM anyway as they're British ;D Plus by the time Intel have there new Atom out ARM will have there new A15, which will once again be better.

And i'd expect W8 tablets to cost about the same as current Android tablets. They run on the same hardware. Only thing is that Windows of course ins't free, so that will add a bit to prices but not much.

I can see a market for i5 tablets and it's meant to be more like 5hrs.

Arm does not have desktop. So will be limited for productive work. Untill developers release metro version that may take years in some cases. So a i5 tablet with a dock keyboard/battery, could be extremely useful and if it was cheaper £700 I would have to seriously look at ditching my PC and replacing it with one, would need the dock though.

Has it actually been confirmed by MS that W8 on ARM dont have the desktop? i've only seen rumours. I know it wont run x86 desktop software for sure though.

The i5 lasts 3 hours under use, atleast from reviews i've seen of the Series 7 slate.

The new Atom CPU will be better though. It's x86 so will run anything an i5 will. But it also lasts way longer on battery. This new Atom will actually be used in Android smartphones this year because of the MUCH improved battery performance. But of course you'd get way faster performance with an i5.

Interesting how intel is entering ARM's completely dominated mobile territory, and ARM is entering Intels territory with Windows devices and even servers from HP. ARM could be the new AMD...

Pretty sure they said it in keynotes and it makes sense. What's the point of a desktop when it can't run x86 apps.

Yeah just seen the intel refrence phone.

Last edited:
Ok kids heres even more cool new Win 8 features that i've just added to my original post :cool: ...

> Refresh or reset your PC easily

This will save a LOT of time for many people.

• Reset: This resets Windows 8 by formatting the drive and installing a fresh new Windows 8 copy. This is especially useful if you're selling your PC for instance as all settings and personal data are erased. The data is thoroughly wiped and random patterns are written to every sector of the drive to make sure data recovery is pretty much impossible.

• Refresh: As with "Reset" this will refresh your Windows install by installing a fresh copy of Windows 8 - However it places all your settings, data and apps to one side (on the same drive). Then restores the data, settings, and apps into the newly installed copy of Windows. Windows 8 PC's will all come with a Refresh image file so the PC can be restored to the exact state it was in when you purchased it.
    You can also create your own Refresh image - useful for when you've just installed Win 8 along with all your apps and customised system settings. However desktop software will have to be installed again manually, as only Metro apps are restored. This is done because if the PC has a problem or wont boot it could be the desktop software thats causing this problem. You can also use the Refresh feature without having to boot in to Windows (if you've truly messed Windows up). You can even create a bootable USB flash drive so that even if the Recovery Environment dont start you can use the flash drive to boot from instead.

Both Reset or Refresh are fully automatic will take just minutes to complete (6 - 8 minutes on the Samsung developer tablet that was given away by Microsoft).

Refresh sounds useful, but tbh windows807 has been so good it's rarely needed anymore.
Still though for that odd time something does go wrong, it's a very nice feature indeed.

I wonder if microsoft are building many SCCM2012 features specific to windows 8? with it's projected release being around april time i wonder if they've planned to implement any major service pack changes to it specific to the "refresh" option for example, sounds like a really good way of majorly simplifying the software deployment package section anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom