*** The BBC F1 2012 Coverage Thread ***

Soldato
And he's in the majority school of thought on that one (with regards to actual designers, rather than armchair experts)
...and also the fact that there's a split in opinion shows that there's no such thing as the "right" one, until after the fact.

I have no reason to doubt his credentials, but as Nismo said, he could bore for England. They need to feed him some enthusiasm before the next race.

Associate
well i cant say i really missed the live show as i normally recorded them due to been busy, and the new team seems quite good i guess time will tell on that one the only weak link seems that Gary Anderson bloke watching paint dry is more interesting than listening to him. I thought last year brundle was getting abit rusty a couple of times dc had to correct him on somethings going on in the race so i cant say i really missed him. It was better than i was expecting by a long way they just need to find a replacement for Gary Anderson and it will be a lot better.

Soldato
" Later he designed cars for Jordan (1991–1998), Stewart/Jaguar (1998–2000), and Jordan again (2002 and 2003), as well as the Spa series of open wheelers."

That is enough for me to take his word on things.

Knows more about the designing of cars than 99% of this forum do, that is for sure.

Upto ten years ago at any rate (and DC felt out of things after less than 5 years out of the cockpit)

GA isnt bad per se, but I dont believe your arguement holds much water either given how fast F1 moves on

Im surre the live shows will be as good as last season, but the highlights make it very difficult to actually take everything into account (unless you are just watching as a casual interest)

In quali, I dont think we got one full lap by anyone apart from Lewis (after the pole lap was finished) - Im sorry but thats pretty poor imo

Soldato
Upto ten years ago at any rate (and DC felt out of things after less than 5 years out of the cockpit)

GA isnt bad per se, but I dont believe your arguement holds much water either given how fast F1 moves on

Aerodynamics really have not changed in 10 years though, the same principles apply :)

DC is different, he is a driver sitting in the car.

Soldato
Aerodynamics really have not changed in 10 years though, the same principles apply :)

DC is different, he is a driver sitting in the car.

I'd agree - the same aerodynamic principles do apply, BUT the design game has moved on a lot in 10 years. If you get a chance to look around a late 1990s/early 2000s F1 car in a museum or at a track event, they look positively crude now...

_46539216_but_schu_malay2002_766.jpg

vs

Red-Bull-Racing-Red-Bull-RB7.jpg

Caporegime
I think all this talk of experience is irrelivent. To be a good TV presenter you need to be a good TV presenter. I'm fairly sure there are plenty of current F1 engineers working for teams up and down the pitlane who would make terrible pitlane reporters, and likewise there will be plenty of journalists and broadcasting people with no technical F1 experience who would make great pitlane reports.

To be a good pit lane reporter you need to understand where to be at the right time, what to look for, and then how to explain that quickly and concisely throughout the broadcast while also displaying passion and enthusiasm. Ted Kravitz does this very well.

Soldato

watches my comparison go wayyyyy over your head

Its not about Aero as such, its about how fast F1 moves, and if you have been out of if for a season or three you can be caught out by new ideas

Just like Michael (and to a lesser extent so far Kimi) found it hard to come back and be as competitive as he/they were before they left - it will take time for GA to get intricacies (sp?) of new aero ideas just as if he was a driver trying to get back to competitiveness (even though I dont believe GA designed a competitive car to start with lol)

This is why I liked Brundle so much, he had a lot of experience of the cars, was a great commentator and also a brilliant presenter/co-presenter / commentator from a technical angle as well

Caporegime
I'd agree - the same aerodynamic principles do apply, BUT the design game has moved on a lot in 10 years. If you get a chance to look around a late 1990s/early 2000s F1 car in a museum or at a track event, they look positively crude now...
Red-Bull-Racing-Red-Bull-RB7.jpg

2006 mclaren
vHgta.jpg

oh wait sorry it looks more futuristic than the 2012 redbull

Soldato
watches my comparison go wayyyyy over your head

Its not about Aero as such, its about how fast F1 moves, and if you have been out of if for a season or three you can be caught out by new ideas

Just like Michael (and to a lesser extent so far Kimi) found it hard to come back and be as competitive as he/they were before they left - it will take time for GA to get intricacies (sp?) of new aero ideas just as if he was a driver trying to get back to competitiveness (even though I dont believe GA designed a competitive car to start with lol)

This is why I liked Brundle so much, he had a lot of experience of the cars, was a great commentator and also a brilliant presenter/co-presenter / commentator from a technical angle as well

Yeah went way over my head LOL...really.

How can you say from a designer point of view then it's not about aero? Anderson can easily understand new developments as it's how his brain works, to suggest he forgets knowledge of aero is just silly, a driver is very different as they drive the car and the changes directly affect them.

Not sure how you have judged Kimi after one race, but he finished 7th in a Lotus, hardly came back uncompetitive now did he. Michael is a lot older and maybe he is just naturally not as fast as he was, which is much more likely rather than he can't drive no more because the tyres changed.

Man of Honour
Some quality armchair expertise going on here.

I don't get why people say this. It's half the fun of F1, no we aren't experts and it's all speculation. But it's interesting and fun. Following the tech of F1 is a massive part of the sport. As its not an out and out racing series.

Man of Honour
I don't get why people say this. It's half the fun of F1, no we aren't experts and it's all speculation. But it's interesting and fun. Following the tech of F1 is a massive part of the sport. As its not an out and out racing series.

True, speculation is all good. Some people here do claim to know a little more than they actually do though.

Soldato
Yeah, but there's acknowledging that you're speculating, and then there's questioning the credentials of a bloke who has been directly involved in the sport for years because you think you know better (not you directly of course, the royal you).

The idea that we can see the changes that the F1 cars have gone through in the last ten years, and that Gary Anderson must at the same time be completely unaware of, is faintly ridiculous. As is the idea that between then and getting the job now, he didn't once pay any attention to the sport, or the changes within it.

I mean, people think Brundle is a great commentator because he knows his stuff, yet he hasn't raced in 15 years.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
True, speculation is all good. Some people here do claim to know a little more than they actually do though.

Do they? Perhaps it's just me, I read everyone's apart from the likes of sparky as arm chair experts and don't need an IMO attached as that's well obvious. None of us know, even most in f1 don't know what tech is under the body work of other teams.

Soldato
OP
Just a quick reminder of when the highlights are on;

Malaysian Grand Prix, Sepang

Saturday 24 March: Qualifying highlights: 1300-1415, BBC One/BBC HD/online

Sunday 25 March: Grand Prix highlights: 1445-1640, BBC One/BBC HD/online

Back
Top Bottom