Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Hi guys.

I find my EP3 makes a strange noise when I come off the throttle. I understand that it isn't a quiet engine/gearbox, but I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.

Basically you'll be accelerating in low revs and the when you come off the throttle there is an ever so slight crunchy/rattly sorta noise, until you back on the throttle again.

Doesn't happen around any specific RPM, but normally lower gears/speed.

Any ideas? Or just the nature of the engine/gearbox.

Typical Honda input shaft bearing in the gearbox.

Soldato
Mine does it EliotG plus noisy release bearing. I'm just hoping it's the release bearing alone lol.

I have driven it for plenty of miles with no ill effects as of yet. Don't care too much really, box oil is fresh, clutch fluid fresh etc and I look after the car, spent way too much on preventative maintenance now so gonna wait till stuff breaks or not worry if I sell it soonish anyway.

Soldato
Seems like there are quite a few common issues with these. I guess I won't worry too much. Does make it sound a bit naff though.

Just like the steering issues, vibrating issues, electric issues. All common things.

The one common thing I'm glad I don't have is crunching/difficulty upon changing to second gear. I make sure I checked that one when I bought it.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
EliotG

The rattle, i have it too. its nothing to worry about.
I am going to get my bearing checked when my box is apart for LSD fitting anyway.

saw this questionable modification this weekend.

20130302_104319.jpg

anyone know what system it is?

he has an FN2 badge on the rear too and a missing wiper.

baby jesus is crying.

also did some stuff to the car this weekend, nothing major: link

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
So yeah anyone here want my Accord? Will listen to reasonable offers and would PX for something that is cheap to run.

I'll be putting it up for sale in about a week.

Soldato
Are those Jizz Jets any good Rich? lol if theres one thing I miss off my Golf Turbo its spray jets!

EliotG they have their common niggles for sure, mine has very few all things told. Just release bearing and possibly input shaft bearing.

Those thinking about polybushing... is it really worth it if you mostly drive on the road? I am sitting back thinking I made a big **** up lowering my car and polybushing the front now. It's stiff as and won't soak up bumps, the backs a lot better with (admittedly old) standard bushings.

Wish I'd have had new Honda rubber bushes and left the suspension alone, I can remember how well it'd take a battering beforehand and lapped it up and now you just can't :(

Don't know wether to spend 600 on new standard suspension and fitting or cut my losses (spent 3k on this and aint had it 18 months yet) and move onto a Focus ST, Corsa VXR, something different with boost.

Just keep thinking back to how ace it drove when I first got it though and despite some issues after faffing lowering it and a knackered window reg which cost a LOT its actually been a very reliable problem free car.

Back
Top Bottom