LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Normal bulbs in led style have issues as their capacitors and heatsink can block light being cast downwards, so they appear much dinner than standard lighting.
A load of gu10 led spots suffer no such issues nd dont ned low voltage transformers etc.

Associate
All 4 of my bulbs from Sophie Wang have failed now. The last one went today.

Will look into the B&Q ones and see if there is any discount with my trade card, although i didnt see them in the trade catalogue.

They're not in Trade Point.

You're best off downloading the B&Q Club app. That'll get you your 3 for 2 on all bulbs.

Thug
Soldato
Does anyone have any good recommendation for some energy saving bulbs (normal size sockets not small halogen) that give off a genuine 100w equivalent light? Tried a couple which are rubbish and are not as bright as conventional bulbs.

Associate
G4 by Peige101, on Flickr

As for the MR16's I brought from SimplyLED. Very pleased. Got 9 of them running on the original 12v supplys. Really bright. A pleasing upgrade and large change in electricity consumption.
Only time will tell how well they work.

So you haven't changed the driver to a low power one then? They are still the same 240/12v transformers you used with the standard G16 halogen lamps?

Only asking as have changed 4 drivers over the last couple of weeks for low power ones for lamps in the bathroom (over sink) and kitchen (beside hob) and was wanting to do all the lamps in the bathroom but was not wanting to change the drivers for all of them as that gets very expensive then.

Have you had any flicker / failing issues with the standard drivers?

Cheers

Soldato
So you haven't changed the driver to a low power one then? They are still the same 240/12v transformers you used with the standard G16 halogen lamps?

Only asking as have changed 4 drivers over the last couple of weeks for low power ones for lamps in the bathroom (over sink) and kitchen (beside hob) and was wanting to do all the lamps in the bathroom but was not wanting to change the drivers for all of them as that gets very expensive then.

Have you had any flicker / failing issues with the standard drivers?

Cheers

Yes, my 9 MR16's are all running on the original 12v transformer thats up there, probably installed in early 2007. No problems as of yet, if I see a flicker I will be straight on it and looking for the transformers though, not wanting to start loosing these bulbs in a hurry.

Associate
Bought one of the Diall 50w replacement 350lm GU10s (non dimmable version) from B&Q as I had a halogen go the other day. (Went for this since there seems to be some doubt about the authenticity of the CREEs.)

Wow, brightness is certainly NOT a problem. Far brighter than the 50w halogen it replaced.

Only two downsides - the price (£13) and the colour temp, this is a 3000K but is definitely cooler than halogen. I would prefer something a bit warmer if I'm going to start using LEDs throughout (I have 24 around the house)

If I were to get more of these I'd be tempted to get a 250lm instead of 350 next time, but also something warmer. What would you all recommend?

Soldato
Got twenty of these today (finally) for "free" from the company that installed my parents' solar panels back in November.

PRiJe07.jpg

They don't appear to be any specific brand, they're marked as "E27-24SMD-WW-D" which from a quick google, appears to just be a regular wholesale bulb; what that means for their reliability, I don't know, but they're dimmable it seems so I'd hope that means they'll be a bit more robust than the regular cheap ones.

They're not bright enough for a large room really but I've put them in the hallway and a few in the kitchen in place of regular spots (although I've left some of the incandescents over the worktops) and they seem fine there. The light they produce is a bit more white and 'industrial' than the regular spots that where there before, but I'm sure it just takes a bit of adjusting to and the power savings should be considerable. 5x60W down to 5x4W or so in the hallway.

Still got loads left, just trying to work out where else to put them. They don't sit flush with the fitting which is a shame, as the LEDs are shorter than the spot bulbs they had before:
lqoOpu9.png

Associate
I got the NxtGen2 GU10 bulbs from SimplyLED.
  • Noticeably brighter than the Halogens they replaced
  • 3000K "Warm White" were a bit too cool for my liking, so swapped them for the 2800K "Very Warm White" ones instead.
  • The shaft of the bulb is thicker at the top, than a standard GU10 Halogen would be, and so they only fit in the holders in certain rooms.

Are the 2800K bulbs still available from these guys, can't see them and would like to try that colour temp...

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I recently got some Superflare 6W COB LED GU10 bulbs for the kitchen and think they are really good. They claim to have 540 lumens and I can believe that as they are considerably brighter than the 50W halogens they replaced which in turn were brighter than other SMD based LED bulbs I tried previously. The angle of light is also a usable 60 degrees.

Colour temp is rated at 2700k but I they are a bit whiter than halogen. They come in both dimmable and non-dimmable (cheaper) versions.

Soldato
So I have now bought a few different LED bulbs. Here’s my comments on them:

GU10 – SimplyLED NxtGen Series II Dimmable ‘Warm White’
gu10lednxtgenseriesiidi.jpg

• 410 Lumens
  • 3000 Kelvin
  • 5W
These are sold as 50W Halogen equivalents, but they are far brighter! So top marks there. The colour is a bit too cool for my liking. Important to note that these are physically larger than a standard GU10 Halogen, so I was only able to use them in certain rooms (and consequently I haven’t been able to test them dimming).
SimplyLED have been bombarding my Inbox since so lose marks there, but were good with customer service and let me swap them for a warmer version.
Paid £11.27 each. SimplyLED seem to have a sale on abut half of the time, so make sure you don’t pay full price as listed on the website.

GU10 – SimplyLED NxtGen Series II Dimmable ‘Very Warm White’
gu10lednxtgenseriesiidi.jpg

• 400 Lumens
  • 2800 Kelvin
  • 5W
These are a little bit dimmer than the 3000 Kelvin version above, but still brighter than a 50W Halogen. The colour being that bit warmer is a lot better for me. TBH I’m not really sure why SimplyLED call their 3000 Kelvin bulb ‘Warm White’ and this reserve this 2800 Kelvin bulb for ‘Very Warm White’. Whilst these are that bit warmer and a perfectly fine colour to live with, you do still know that they’re LED, but that doesn’t bother me. They are the same size as the 3000 Kelvin version above, so still don’t fit in all of my light fittings and hence no dimming tests.
Same price and retailer as above. Note that they don’t do these 2800K bulbs in multipacks, but they’re on the dropdown menu on the RHS by the quantity box.

GU10 – Philips 6W Perfect Fit Dimmable Very Warm White (40°)
philipsmasterledgu106wd.jpg

• 300 Lumens
  • 2700 Kelvin
  • 6W
These I’d say are spot on identical brightness with a 50W Halogen (so not as bright as the two above). Colour is a little warmer than those above (you can notice the 100K difference) and again I’d say pretty much spot on with a Halogen. They are the same size as the Halogens, so fit all my tighter light fittings fine. Tested them dimming and they dim very well across a good range, but obviously unlike a Halogen that gets orange when you dim it these stay the same colour throughout. Overall I’d say the lack of colour change when dimming is the only way you would tell that these are LED not Halogen!
Paid £18.59 each from energybulbs.co.uk… so not cheap :(. No other comments on the retailer, they haven’t been spamming me and I haven’t needed to contact them at all.

Bayonet (B22) – Philips 9.5W Bayonet Cap Classic Bulb Warm White
8718291193005rtpglobal0.jpg

• 600 Lumens
  • 2700 Kelvin
  • 9.5W
Philips say this is a 48W incandescent equivalent, but I’d say the brightness is more like a 60W. Colour is perfectly fine, and it would be pretty hard to tell these apart from a normal bulb other than the fact that these are slightly larger. I’ve bought a few of these and one of them started off with a weird purple’ish light to start with but then went normal after the first hour of usage, and the rest have been fine straight out of the box. These are sold as non-dimmable, and I haven’t tried dimming them.
Paid ~£15 from various retailers.

G9 – Lighting EVER 3W Super Bright G9 LED Bulb Warm White
61zfunvqmtlsl1200.jpg

• 250 Lumens
  • 3000 Kelvin
  • 3W
Brightness is fine. They’re bigger than the Halogens it replaced, and the light comes out the length of the bulb so that’s good too. The colour description must be wrong, as it is definitely not a warm white! Also they don’t dim properly, they have hardly any dimming range and make weird noises when you do try to dim them. Not a fan of these.
Paid £6.25 each from amazon.co.uk. No need to comment on Amazon as a retailer as we all know them, but yeah I wouldn’t recommend this bulb.

G9 – Megaman 4W G9 LED Capsule Warm White
lu0104dgu92800k230vl424.png

• 220 Lumens
  • 2700 Kelvin
  • 4W
These are meant to be the equivalent of 20/22W Halogens, and I’d say they are spot on brightness with a 25W Halogen that they replaced. These are a good bit larger than the Halogens they replaced (and the light comes right out of the top rather than through the whole length of the bulb) so make sure they fit if you’ve got tight fittings – mine are open roofed so fitted these in fine. Colour is pretty much spot on with a Halogen. Tested them dimming and they dim very well across a good range, but obviously unlike a Halogen that gets orange when you dim it these stay the same colour throughout. Other dimming comment is that occasionally you need to turn these up to maximum and then wind them down to get them to dim properly.
Paid £10.49 each from energybulbs.co.uk. No other comments on the retailer, they haven’t been spamming me and I haven’t needed to contact them at all.

Small Screw (E14) – Megaman 7W Clear Dimming Candle Warm White (SES/E14)
1084501.jpg

• 400 Lumens
  • 2800 Kelvin
  • 7W
These I’d say are spot on identical brightness with a 40W incandescent. Colour is perfectly fine, and it would be pretty hard to tell these apart from a normal bulb but… they are massive. Not just big, massive. Unfortunately therefore whilst I really like them, they’ve been vetoed by SWMBO due to appearance, so the 10 bulbs in the lounge chandelier are staying as incandescents and the one of these I bought has been relegated to a light where the bulb is hidden by the shade.
Paid £16.48 from energybulbs.co.uk. No other comments on the retailer, they haven’t been spamming me and I haven’t needed to contact them at all.

Flood – 70W Day White
flooden.jpg

• 6,000 Lumens
  • 6000 Kelvin
  • 70W
Wow. This has replaced the 500W floodlight that had broken, and is noticeably brighter. Seller said it is equivalent to a 700W Halogen. All I can say is that it’s like having a portable sun.
Unfortunately the seller sent it by “Hermes” (whoever they are) which took ages to arrive and when it finally arrived it was all broken with the glass smashed. To be fair to the seller, they sent out a replacement (again taking ages with Hermes) which got through undamaged, and they never wanted the original back.
Paid £66.99 from eBay.
It’s obviously a bit of a risk buying from an unknown name and I don’t know how long it will last… but it was cheap – about £90 cheaper than the next equal brightest I could find!

Associate
Any recommendations for under-cabinet LED lighting strip to illuminate a kitchen worktop? I'm looking to replace two fluorescent units.

If you have the space and the cabinets are suitably shaped, you can use teh self adhesive tape lighting.

I have done this on a few cabinets for my bro and sis in law and they look good.

Have fitted the RGB ones that you find on the Bay so you can have atmos lighting when not using the kitchen for kitchen type things

Soldato
The only problem with them self adhesive strips is the adhesive tends to fail after a while. Probably as the strips get quite warm when on for a while. I ended up making some housings for them with some PVC trim. I think you can buy proper housings to put the strips in.

Make sure to go for the SMD5050 type as they are brighter than the cheaper 3528 ones. I find the warm 5050 leds give enough light to work. I often just have them on and no other lights in the kitchen. They are great!

Soldato
Am i reading that wrong?
They are eight times as bright as a normal bulb?
Good high celing might make the difference, but if your alternative was 50watt down spots style lights, these should be much much brighter.
I would go warm white above the 4000k ones.

They are also Italian ;)

Soldato
Wow. This has replaced the 500W floodlight that had broken, and is noticeably brighter. Seller said it is equivalent to a 700W Halogen. All I can say is that it’s like having a portable sun.
Unfortunately the seller sent it by “Hermes” (whoever they are) which took ages to arrive and when it finally arrived it was all broken with the glass smashed. To be fair to the seller, they sent out a replacement (again taking ages with Hermes) which got through undamaged, and they never wanted the original back.
Paid £66.99 from eBay.
It’s obviously a bit of a risk buying from an unknown name and I don’t know how long it will last… but it was cheap – about £90 cheaper than the next equal brightest I could find!

How easy are these to install? Just finishing up some garden work and we could really do with a decent light :)

Back
Top Bottom