LED Bulb Thread

Associate
I replaced all of the downlights in my house with JCC LED7 downlights. They were quite expensive when I bought them but come with a 10 year guarantee.

Soldato
Does anyone know what voltage would be needed to drive the 3 x 3w LEDs directly? I just quickly tested with a 6v phone charger and the LEDs lit up nice and bright without any flashing. I'm wondering if I could hook them up to a power supply and use them for something instead of wizzing them in the bin.

Last edited:
Soldato
Posted in "purchases in Feburary" but in here because its more relavent.

Took the plunge and brought all I need to convert the kitchen to led, it will still leave under cupboard tube lighting but that will come another month or three down the line. I already have coloured strip lighting over the top of the units which looks really cool :)

Also brought an energy monitor to see what actually happens. I'm going to run the monitor for a few days and then change the whole lot so see what actual financial difference it makes to the consumption.

Led lighting by Peige101, on Flickr

When they are up I will post a picture of the room :cool:

Soldato
Posted in "purchases in Feburary" but in here because its more relavent.

Took the plunge and brought all I need to convert the kitchen to led, it will still leave under cupboard tube lighting but that will come another month or three down the line. I already have coloured strip lighting over the top of the units which looks really cool :)

Also brought an energy monitor to see what actually happens. I'm going to run the monitor for a few days and then change the whole lot so see what actual financial difference it makes to the consumption.

Led lighting by Peige101, on Flickr

When they are up I will post a picture of the room :cool:

Would it be possible to give me the diameter and thickness of those G4 bulbs, I'm thinking of getting some for my cooker hood but not sure they'll fit as there's not a lot of room.

Cheers :)
20130205_164800.jpg

Soldato
The G4's were a bit of a disappointment, they just didn't work properly and I think I need to change the 12v driver for all of them. Going to try doing the cabinet ones first and if they work then the cooker hood.

Will measure them when I get home.

Would it be possible to give me the diameter and thickness of those G4 bulbs, I'm thinking of getting some for my cooker hood but not sure they'll fit as there's not a lot of room.

Cheers :)
20130205_164800.jpg

Caporegime
I got the 4x1W warm white from delhanway2009.

They are bright but not quiet as bright as the 40W normal bulbs. They are also quite directional. I imagine the SMD style ones would give a more even light but they look a bit ugly, these look good.

I paid £16 for 6 so cant really fault the quality of them at that price.

Ok so these are crap. My 3rd bulb has just failed so I've gone back to the old 40W E14 bulbs

They gave a crisp light but 6 of the LED ones are not as bright as 3 normal E14 R50 bulbs.

Soldato
All 4 of my bulbs from Sophie Wang have failed now. The last one went today.

Will look into the B&Q ones and see if there is any discount with my trade card, although i didnt see them in the trade catalogue.

Permabanned
Does anyone else have an issue with the LED bulbs when they are switched off. Mine emit a very small amount of light still. Its not a problem in the day but in a bedroom in the pitch black they are all lit up slightly which is annoying. I have taken them out the bedroom now as the normal 50w GU10 bulbs do not do this.

Just wondered if it was because they were eBay specials or my electrics?

Soldato
Never had that issue, they could only emit light if they are receiving power, seems like the electrics are somewhat odd, off switch not doing its job properly.

All of my bulbs from wholesale LED lights have been perfect, do what they say and work fine.
They are also on quidco.

delhanway bulbs are falling apart, sophia wang bulbs are lower powered than claimed.

Soldato
After changing both the 12v supplies my G4's are working perfectly now for a couple of weeks. I've not yet bothered with the hob extractor ones.

As you can see they are really too large for the fitting. I think they look ok, kind of show off the fact that they aren't normal bulbs, certainly when they are on you can't tell as they are so bright you can't really see whats in there. I noticed that they do some philips single led G4's which probably look more like a bulb but overall I am pleased with the choice. Much less power usage, just as much, if not more, light.

G4 by Peige101, on Flickr

G4 by Peige101, on Flickr

As for the MR16's I brought from SimplyLED. Very pleased. Got 9 of them running on the original 12v supplys. Really bright. A pleasing upgrade and large change in electricity consumption.
Only time will tell how well they work.

MR16 by Peige101, on Flickr

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the NxtGen2 GU10 bulbs from SimplyLED.
  • Noticeably brighter than the Halogens they replaced
  • 3000K "Warm White" were a bit too cool for my liking, so swapped them for the 2800K "Very Warm White" ones instead.
  • The shaft of the bulb is thicker at the top, than a standard GU10 Halogen would be, and so they only fit in the holders in certain rooms.

Soldato
Does anyone else have an issue with the LED bulbs when they are switched off. Mine emit a very small amount of light still. Its not a problem in the day but in a bedroom in the pitch black they are all lit up slightly which is annoying. I have taken them out the bedroom now as the normal 50w GU10 bulbs do not do this.

Just wondered if it was because they were eBay specials or my electrics?

My GU10s glow for a little while after power off but they do turn off completely after a few minutes. It's probably the capacitors inside the bulb discharging. No dimmer control on my lights either.

Back
Top Bottom