LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Soldato
How easy are these to install? Just finishing up some garden work and we could really do with a decent light :)

Dead easy. Mount it on the wall with a couple of screws and you can adjust the angle etc. Power cable it comes with is very short so you'll want to make sure your PIR sensor is close-by or use chocolate blocks to extend it (or of-course you could unscrew the back of the light and solder on a longer cable).

Soldato
Is there a recommendation for walm (As close to normal bulb) non dimmable GU10 LED bulbs?

GU10 – Philips 6W Perfect Fit Dimmable Very Warm White (40°)
philipsmasterledgu106wd.jpg

• 300 Lumens
  • 2700 Kelvin
  • 6W
These I’d say are spot on identical brightness with a 50W Halogen (so not as bright as the two above). Colour is a little warmer than those above (you can notice the 100K difference) and again I’d say pretty much spot on with a Halogen. They are the same size as the Halogens, so fit all my tighter light fittings fine. Tested them dimming and they dim very well across a good range, but obviously unlike a Halogen that gets orange when you dim it these stay the same colour throughout. Overall I’d say the lack of colour change when dimming is the only way you would tell that these are LED not Halogen!
Paid £18.59 each from energybulbs.co.uk… so not cheap :(. No other comments on the retailer, they haven’t been spamming me and I haven’t needed to contact them at all.
Really good bulb, just need to find somewhere cheaper for them!

Soldato
Dead easy. Mount it on the wall with a couple of screws and you can adjust the angle etc. Power cable it comes with is very short so you'll want to make sure your PIR sensor is close-by or use chocolate blocks to extend it (or of-course you could unscrew the back of the light and solder on a longer cable).

Oh dear - dad not keen on the idea of soldering a new cable on - looks like I'll have to pay way more :\

Soldato
Tempted by a set of G9 dimming LED ones and needs to be light emited from the length.
You'd think working for a lighting company, admittedy theatre, we'd have a bigger product knowledge of LED lamps but we don't.

Soldato
So when you dim these LED's does the draw of electricity & cost drop down dramatically ? How exactly does the dimming work?

I have 6 incandescent spots in my living room, which i only ever have dimmed. So the draw is not too much. If I can replicate the warm feel of these when dimmed, i could be tempted to go LED.

Caporegime
If you only ever use incandescent bulbs dimmed why bother buying dimmable LED's? You may as well just get ones which naturally have a lower luminosity.

I was toying with LED but I hate really bright bulbs! Are they much brighter than halogen?

Brightness completely depends on what power they are, just like halogen and other types of incandescent.

Caporegime
So are we saying, incandescent lights dimmed, and LEDS dimmed or not dimmed, run around the same running costs, if you're someone who only ever runs their incandescent dimmed ?

No, he's saying that there is little difference in electric use between dimming or not dimming LED's because they use so little power in the first place.

LED lights use 90% less electric than incandescent for the same luminosity.

Soldato
So after my previous success, I'm now after some more bulbs.

This time it's regular screw-fit E27 (Edison 27mm) in the classic shape, rather than GU10.

Current bulbs are 1200 Lumens, and are 97mm high by 56mm wide.

Anyone know a good LED replacement?

Back
Top Bottom