***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
Just got this from another forum regarding 25GB dropbox on the HTC one

Make a new dropbox account
you should get a email linking you to the 25GB upgrade and the follow the steps

it says the 25GB is for 2 years

Hope this helps mate

Doesnt need to be new btw. I was able to add it to my existing Dropbox account by signing in on the HTC One.

Associate
Great fun today. We have good banter with the shop across from us (Grainger games) and ive just been switching there TV's off all day with the IR sensor making them really scratch there heads. They still dont suspect ;) Ill come clean later on me thinks.

Soldato
This is my first android phone I won't be rooting and putting a custom rom on, simply it doesn't need one as its great as it is I do use Nova launcher mind.

Soldato
Right the phone just got delivered. There's still the gap at the top and bottom, no overhangs. FA33VW is the serial number on the box. I haven't tested the camera yet and I don't think I'll be able to as I've got a pretty packed weekend.

EDIT - still has the 1mm raised screen at the top.

Last edited:
Soldato
The phone is going back. The gap at the top is very noticeable, definitely larger than the last HO I had.

HTC have to sort out the build quality, phone is decent enough but I'm not willing to pay £500 and put up with these imperfections.

Thank goodness for Rainforest and their return policy.

Soldato
What is the gap that people speak of? Is it not normal?

This is the gap.....

CameraZOOM-20130413194657288_zpsadde396c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I really wanted the HO to do well and but I'm not going to go through the hassle of buying 3 or 4 phones before I get a phone with no build quality issues.

Seriously why HTC? Can't you sort out your QC issues??!! :mad:

You're pushing me towards the S4 and I don't want to go down that route.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

What is the gap that people speak of? Is it not normal?

You can see it in the Android Police review above, specifically:-

http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nexusae0_wm_IMG_5626.jpg

and

http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nexusae0_wm_IMG_5635.jpg

and they still state the build quality is exceptional.....

If people are sending phones back for that well :confused: I think some might have unreasonable expectations.

This is the gap.....

Really? :confused: You're sending the phone back for that? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nexusae0_wm_IMG_5626.jpg

and

http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nexusae0_wm_IMG_5635.jpg

If people are sending phones back for that well :confused:

They're sending it back because if you spend £500 for a phone you want it to be of merchantable quality, you can slip a piece of paper into the gap. Would you accept that?

Check out uvarvu's post #2262 - it's a great example of why people are returning their HO. It isn't acceptable!

@amigafan2003 Yes and because the screen is raised by 1mm at the top of the phone and the home and back buttons are unresponsive. If you can drop £500 and accept inadequate build quality, then fine you live with that :rolleyes: but I'm certainly not going to.

HTC are advertising the HO as a Uni body phone and the gap isn't exactly uni body is it?

Last edited:
Soldato

and

If people are sending phones back for that well :confused:

Really? :confused: You're sending the phone back for that? :rolleyes:

are you kidding me ? its one of the "Big deals" that htc advertise on.. "zero gap" why would you put up with gaps when you pay 500 for a phone.. i agree with stoosh.. but hey im the minority here and i should expect to bend over and send my phone back 4 times till i get a proper one :o

Caporegime
Personally that wouldn't annoy me at all (especially if it is going in a case :p), only time it would annoy me is if it was like really big of a gap or it kept expanding or/and didn't feel sturdy.

I could take a piece of paper and fit it somewhere in any phone :p

The buttons not responding would annoy me to no end though.......

Last edited:
Soldato
are you kidding me ? its one of the "Big deals" that htc advertise on.. "zero gap" why would you put up with gaps when you pay 500 for a phone.. i agree with stoosh.. but hey im the minority here and i should expect to bend over and send my phone back 4 times till i get a proper one :o

Exactly...! The voice of common sense speaks at last in this thread. It's false advertising with all this "zero gap" rubbish. People obviously have money to burn and will put up with manufacturing deficiencies but I'm not one of those people and will not accept poor quality. Why should I traipse back and forth to the post office and order / return multiple phones, I can't be arsed with that - wasting my time and money until I get a perfect phone.

Personally that wouldn't annoy me at all (especially if it is going in a case :p), only time it would annoy me is if it was like really big of a gap or it kept expanding or/and didn't feel sturdy.

I could take a piece of paper and fit it somewhere on any phone :p

The buttons not responding would annoy me to no end though.......

You're missing the point Nexus, Zero gap means exactly that - If manufactured properly you would not be able to shove paper into a gap that isn't meant to be there.

Besides I can't see you putting a case on the HO - It's not in your nature to spoil the beauty of a phone! :p

And yes the Home and Back keys not working is a serious annoyance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Correct me if I am wrong but does the "zero gap" thing not actually only apply to the aluminium metal part i.e. main body/the back and part of the sides/bottom/top essentially (one piece of aluminium, which is cut down and plastic is injected into certain parts i.e. antenna bands), which is where you have the zero gap idea, the other stuff at the front i.e. the speaker areas/grill is actually glued on, it isn't part of the CNC machining process thus not part of the "zero gap" idea? So in theory the "zero gap" idea does exactly what the term means with regards to the main body.

Yup if I did get the one, there is not a chance that any case would go near it! :p But if I was to put a case on, then the gap would be even less of a problem imo :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Correct me if I am wrong but does the "zero gap" thing not actually only apply to the aluminium metal part i.e. main body/the back and part of the sides/bottom/top essentially (one piece of aluminium, which is cut down and plastic is injected into certain parts i.e. antenna bands), which is where you have the zero gap idea, the other stuff at the front i.e. the speaker areas/grill is actually glued on, it isn't part of the CNC machining process thus not part of the "zero gap" idea? So in theory the "zero gap" idea does exactly what the term means with regards to the main body.

Yup if I did get the one, there is not a chance that any case would go near it! :p But if I was to put a case on, then the gap would be even less of a problem imo :p

You're probably right in regards to the zero gap thing but it hasn't stopped many people complaining on XDA about the damn issue (last time I looked the thread was up to page 50)

However their manufacturing process is very hit and miss. I've had two HO's now and the gap at the top of my first HO was minimal and I could live with it and actually accepted it, I even overlooked the small chip that ran along the bottom of the speaker. It gave the impression that I had dropped something on it, but then the Home / Back button issue came into play and that's when the phone was returned.

The second phone has a bigger gap on the top of the phone compared to the first HO and I'm simply not going to put up with that knowing there's other HO's out there that may have smaller gaps, but I'm not going to expend any time and energy finding a HO which may have smaller gaps - putting a case on isn't going to make the gap go away and it might actually expand when the phone gets hot and who is to say that the gap won't get bigger over time and weaken the phone? or specs of dust get through the gap and sit between the screen? I'm simply not going to take any risks in that respect.

Besides I just got off the phone with a HTC customer service representative and she advised me that the gap is not normal and advised me to return the phone. (She has given the same advice to other customers who have phoned up complaining about the issue.)

#491 from XDA - "It is with great regret that I am returning my handset for a refund. This is my second handset and I love it, but the gap I had, and could live with, now moves when pressed. This implies that it will get much worse over time."

HTC Admits some HTC One's have a build issue

http://gsminsider.com/2013/04/08/htc-admits-htc-one-built-issue/

"On earlier last week, GSM Insider reported that some of the HTC One users reported that their devices have the built issue”. The built issue means that the device no longer has the Zero Gap technology as it promised. Some users found out that there is a gap between the cover and the main body. "

Last edited:
Associate
Wow is all I can say. I honestly don't think you will get a phone that's just right for you Stoosh if your that nit-picky. May as well look at a different handset if im honest as I don't think if you order another one it wont have the same tiny little gap...its to do with the design process as the two front aluminium grills are just glued on so will always have a slight gap, the no gap design refers to the rear aluminium body. So no matter how many you go through you will still have the same issue im guessing. Same with any other unibody phone in that there will always be some perceived "flaw" in it. Not that I am a fan of the iphone but that is about the only phone that will satisfy your demand for "quality".

Back
Top Bottom