***The Official HTC One Thread***

Daylight photos S4 is better.

Where do you guys get your wall papers? Want to customise things a little and not keen on the ones on the phone as default.

It's it only marginally though? I don't intend to crop my photos off anything, argh this is such a hard decision!

It's it only marginally though? I don't intend to crop my photos off anything, argh this is such a hard decision!

Yeah, you're not looking at massive differences. If you just want some good quality holiday snaps, you won't be zooming in, cropping or whatever, the HTC is more than good enough - plus you can't guarantee that it'll always be light when you want to use the camera, which is where the HTC shines.

If you will be wanting to zoom, crop, etc and will be brightly lit, the S4.

There are other reasons to choose one over the other though.

Personally really enjoying this phone now, and coming back to Android after 6 months with WP8, which is excellent, but I missed tinkering! So now, Trickdroid 5.5.1, Elemental Kernel, variety of tweaks and a new Sense clock, plus different fonts, and that'll do for now :).

Yeah, you're not looking at massive differences. If you just want some good quality holiday snaps, you won't be zooming in, cropping or whatever, the HTC is more than good enough - plus you can't guarantee that it'll always be light when you want to use the camera, which is where the HTC shines.

If you will be wanting to zoom, crop, etc and will be brightly lit, the S4.

There are other reasons to choose one over the other though.

Personally really enjoying this phone now, and coming back to Android after 6 months with WP8, which is excellent, but I missed tinkering! So now, Trickdroid 5.5.1, Elemental Kernel, variety of tweaks and a new Sense clock, plus different fonts, and that'll do for now :).

Thanks Marvin. One thing that is swaying me to the one, it's zoe compared to the s4 and having to choose the mode before hand..

Daylight photos S4 is better.

Where do you guys get your wall papers? Want to customise things a little and not keen on the ones on the phone as default.

As mentioned earlier, Photos look great tbh, low light definitely better on HTC One but daylight both are really good, The 4mp camera is not much for cropping tbh, That's the only bit where I have actually missed my S3/N4 with 8mp camera's in daylight they perform fine but cropping was much better than the HTC One (which I am sure you understand is due to the larger sensor size). So in your case if you intend to crop pics S4 definitely (13mp even better !) otherwise HTC One :)

Yup, if you are wanting the best camera out of those two for bright landscape conditions then the GS 4 is the one to get. But that's not to say that the one is "bad", it just isn't as good, if it where me, personally I would be more than happy with the one photos (and that would be coming from the one S too!)

This is how I rate the camera department overall:

Main advantages of the GS 4 camera;

- if you crop/zoom in on images, have a very high res. display and/or print photos on large paper, there is no denying that the GS 4 trumps the one for these things, 4MP simply can not match 13MP

- Bright landscape conditions

- panorama shots

- features/options overall (not a HUGE difference, but it has the edge when it comes to the overall choice of features and options)

Main advantages of the one camera:

- very fast shutter and combined with OIS, you get more consistent/usable photos, more so in lower light conditions and/or with movement shots (especially with HDR mode)

- indoor conditions, low light/dark conditions

- much larger FOV

- audio recording (really amazing in loud environments) and video recording overall (GS 4 looks excellent for 1080P recording but the OIS, FOV [which is further reduced on the gs4 when you enable image stabilisation] etc. give the one the edge by quite a bit imo)

The GS 4 can perform superbly in low light/night conditions with "night" mode (in some even better than the one) but it comes at a cost, slower shutter thus only useful with non moving objects and you need to have a steady hand (a lot of review sites use a tripod thus the GS 4 night shots in the majority of reviews look amazing and you don't experience the blur/shot latency etc. but in real world usage you might have to take the shot 3 times in order to get a good result)

Regarding the features/options, both seem to be more or less the same, GS 4 has the edge with a few more things to choose from. Most of the one's features are tied to the zoe feature and gallery i.e. sequence/drama shot, always smiling, eraser/removing objects etc. where as the features on the GS 4 are selectable through the camera app. I also think the way zoe works is better as you can do a number of those special edits, not just be limited to 1 plus no need to select the right mode before hand and you can do the editing later on. I also think the zoe highlight reel is very cool and it could be pretty good for holiday scenarios.

Macro shots look superb on both, need to see more from the GS 4, personally I prefer the one macro shots as they just have a very "natural" look to them and collect a ton of detail.

HDR shots look better overall on the GS 4, however, the main differences/advantages are in bright conditions.

Up to you this part, but photo size is quite different due to the difference in MP, talking about 1.5MP on average for the one VS 6.5MB for a photo from the GS 4

I can sort of speak from experience when it comes to holiday snaps, last year when I was away on a cruise, I used my one S for all photos and videos; all the bright landscape photos came out really good, videos were of great quality especially the audio recording at concerts etc. and the wide FOV was very nice when it came to taking photos of landscapes especially when it came to the Rome trip, however, when it came to indoor/low light conditions, I wish I had a better camera for those conditions (saying that the one series phones were rated as the best Android phones for low light shots from last year iirc), most shots came out rather blurry and noisy :( And that is with a pretty fast shutter still! (could have used HDR to have made them much better [it is pretty much the same process as how the "night mode" works on galaxy phones] but with a slow process time and moving people, not to mention not the steadiest of hands, the shots wouldn't have been good.....)

Last edited:
when it came to indoor/low light conditions, I wish I had a better camera for those conditions (saying that the one series phones were rated as the best Android phones for low light shots from last year iirc), most shots came out rather blurry and noisy :( And that is with a pretty fast shutter still! (could have used HDR to have made them much better [it is pretty much the same process as how the "night mode" works on galaxy phones] but with a slow process time and moving people, not to mention not the steadiest of hands, the shots wouldn't have been good.....)

I think I agree with most of what you've said, but a few points on this. I don't think a smartphone will ever work 'well' in dark conditions, the lens just isn't big enough to let enough light in. Also, photographers pay 4 figures for a camera that has a good enough sensor to take great pictures in dark conditions, I can't imagine a sensor that expensive would be put into a smart phone. I think we just need to accept this limitation.

I wouldn't have thought Night Mode used a form of HDR does it? Surely it just adjusts the sensor sensitivity (ISO). (Having just tried it, I see it does do some 'processing' after the shot. Do you happen to have a link to anything explaining how it works?)

Cheers Nexus, to be honest I think my Galaxy Nexus takes good shots so I'll be amazed by either! ha

I need to have one final play this weekend with both in-store and decide.

I think I agree with most of what you've said, but a few points on this. I don't think a smartphone will ever work 'well' in dark conditions, the lens just isn't big enough to let enough light in. Also, photographers pay 4 figures for a camera that has a good enough sensor to take great pictures in dark conditions, I can't imagine a sensor that expensive would be put into a smart phone. I think we just need to accept this limitation.

I wouldn't have thought Night Mode used a form of HDR does it? Surely it just adjusts the sensor sensitivity (ISO). (Having just tried it, I see it does do some 'processing' after the shot. Do you happen to have a link to anything explaining how it works?)

The One is a lot better at capturing indoor shots and indoor movement. I had a play when i had my S4 and the indoor shots were not good and in night mode it takes ages to take a pic. The ONE shutter speed is excellent so you can take snaps very quickly and indoor shots are very good.

I do however miss the fact you cant zoom in a lot or crop photos.

I decided that the ability to take shots quickly and in all conditions was more important for a phone camera though. All my low light shots from my S3 on holiday last year were horrible/useless and my gf has a good high megapixel camera so il just use that if i want a super hi-res shot of something.

How long did it take to arrive from poetic mate?

any pics of it on the phone you care to share? :)

Got mine from the rainforest, it arrived the following day. Case is quite stiff but it has rubber around the edges & corners to protect the device. I like that the camera lens is now recessed so it's protected when the device is laying on its back. The one thing that might annoy you is the power button is covered which kills the ir blaster but you can cut it out if you need the functionality. I'll throw up some pics just now.

FFS, Vodafone sent out my miniSIM card on Wednesday 1st class post, its now Saturday and it still hasn't come!! :mad:

Are you still waiting for this to arrive?

If so, I'd suggest chasing it up with Vodafone's Web Relations Team.

Just email them via the online form on their website here and quote the code WRT135 in the subject line.

Got mine from the rainforest, it arrived the following day. Case is quite stiff but it has rubber around the edges & corners to protect the device. I like that the camera lens is now recessed so it's protected when the device is laying on its back. The one thing that might annoy you is the power button is covered which kills the ir blaster but you can cut it out if you need the functionality. I'll throw up some pics just now.

They charged me a fiver for delivery and quoted 15-22 days delivery.This was bought from the rainforest to but sent out by poetic.
Camera recessed sounds spot on. The cases bought after the 14th have the fixed IR blaster issue. Maybe this is why its going to take ages to come.

Pics would be great thanks :-)

Back
Top Bottom