**XBOX ONE** Official Thread

Man of Honour
Caporegime
There's been a lot of discussion about that article today around the net, a lot of people are skeptical and feel it is just marketing talk covering up a downclock.

The ESRAM was previously said to be 102GB/s read only but the 192GB/s they are now quoting seemingly comes from combining theoretical maximum read & (the newly discovered lol?) write capability, which suggests ESRAM is now only 96GB/s each way and not 102GB/s (96GB/s read + 96GB/s write = 192GB/s).

The article also states that they managed 133GB/s throughput (which is combined read+write) but only with 'alpha transparency blending operations (FP16 x4)', so in a normal game engine they may not be able to reach anywhere near that.

If people are correct about the downclocking from 800mhz to 750mhz that would also explain why fabrication is now no longer an issue.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If people are correct about the downclocking from 800mhz to 750mhz that would also explain why fabrication is now no longer an issue.

The trouble is they've had to sacrifice GPU power to accomodate the ESRAM, so even it now performs on par they still have a big disadvantage.
I dno like I put in the PS4 thread on this, its a rumour that either doesnt sit well with previous ones or as you implied might perhaps confirm the result of the previous one did happen. Its all way too convoluted to make an useful judgement

Got to admit its kinda wierd how they assume they couldnt do simultaneous read/writes until they attempted fabrication, seems quite a far-fetched notion to miss...

EDIT: Bah youve edited and made my reply pointless! :D

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is a better explanation of what I was trying to say:

So this article at the top of /r/games sounds pretty rosy. They're claiming the esram on the XBO can actually push 192.0 GB/s. That sounds really great...
Except if we read the actual statement, it is this.

However, with near-final production silicon, Microsoft techs have found that the hardware is capable of reading and writing simultaneously. Apparently, there are spare processing cycle "holes" that can be utilised for additional operations.

No, they didn't wake up one morning and realize there was an extra data line in their memory module, so lets drill down to what that actually means.
Apparently, there are spare processing cycle "holes" that can be utilised for additional operations.
In other words, no, it isn't capable of bidirectional data transfer. Their trying to push through a few extra memory operations, but the it's still strictly read or write.
Now, look at the actual numbers. I have to give credit to R_K_M and Boreras for pointing this out. I'm just aggregating, so I'm going to direct quote.

If I am not mistaken, that just means that they lowered the clock from 800 to 750 and are using the bi-directonal bandwith number for marketing when everyone else is using the bandwith number in one direction. - R_K_M
you're right the numbers do match up perfectly for that (750 (GPU clock) * 128 (bus width)*2(read&write during same cycle) = 192.0 GB/s --- if it were 800 MHz you would get 204.8 GB/s) - Boreras

So we can basically confirm that cboat was correct. The numbers tell the truth. The esram has been downclocked, and Microsoft's PR department is trying to spin it as an increase in total bandwidth based on some cycle tricks that are probably being exaggerated.

but until we know more it's all just speculation.

Soldato
I thought tech comparisons were meaningless? That's what an MS exec said.
The problem is that Sony decided to go out and publish a bunch of numbers, which are in some ways meaningless," he told OXM. "Because this isn't like 1990, when it was 16-bit versus 32-bit.
Yet MS keep coming up with things to show the X1 is just as powerful as the PS4.

Soldato
I dont know for sure but I get the idea that you need to download the games or whatever. If that is true then people like me who live out in the sticks will have an awfull service. My broadband hardly works at all most days and it can take a week to download an average game. BT infinity is 4 years off here and the jump to ADSL2+ did nothing for my internet service, infact it seems much worse and less reliable the ADSL1..........

Soldato
I dont know for sure but I get the idea that you need to download the games or whatever. If that is true then people like me who live out in the sticks will have an awfull service. My broadband hardly works at all most days and it can take a week to download an average game. BT infinity is 4 years off here and the jump to ADSL2+ did nothing for my internet service, infact it seems much worse and less reliable the ADSL1..........

It's the same as it is now. You can download them or buy physical copies.

Soldato
Any news on the Halo TVshow? I'm a big fan of Sci fi TV, So with Steven Spielberg giving the show the epic treatment. I'm very interested.

Just when will it premier? Any actors known yet?

I really hope its done similar to how forward unto dawn was done, as that was fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom