BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Powerline adapters would work, but I'd keep everything hard wired up to the router. External grade Cat5e isn't expensive, and even standard cable will survive for years.

Associate
"Dear Sir,

I’m afraid there have been some engineering difficulties which have delayed the go live date of your cabinet. This means that the go-live date has slipped to late November."

** No disguised swearing * sake! I see cabinets installed around my area but not one anywhere near my street :(

Soldato
hey guys.

quick question here. just called bt to confrim what the website said and we can indeed get up to 72 meg fttc. we are currently with talktalk for calls and broadband and sky for tv, we are going to ditch the 2 in favour for all the bt products. (cheaper and one bill at the end of the month)

anyone know what the best way to cancel talk talk with minimal disruption and hassle?

Soldato
Noticed that my Dynamic IP changed at 05:30 this morning, and that the TBQM is now showing a sightly faster ping than originally :).

Speedtest shows that it's slightly faster than before too :).

137744697170957210183.png

Well it has now been a week since I got it installed. Speeds have remained fine, and the dynamic IP has stayed the same so my TBQM graph works ok.
The BT Speedtest shows my IP profile is set at 57.1Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream, so my speedtest results seem pretty much bang on.

e4bc6b099f4fb70b671302e205f0ab86-30-08-2013.png

The biggest difference in day-to-day activity I've noticed since FTTC being available is FTP'ing. Not just for big files but even loads of little files now fly up compared with how slow it was on ADSL2.
The other biggest difference is for my Media Server setup with remote clients (laptop/iPad when away from home). Previously the media server had to transcode it down to 720Kbps bitrate as the upload speed just couldn't send anything higher out fast enough. Now the server only needs to transcode it down to 20Mbps bitrate (so still a bit down from the native blu-ray rips they're stored in) as it's typically going to be the download speed of the remote client that is the limiting factor not the upload of the server. Last weekend I was able to use my iPhone 5 on LTE (speedtesting at 42ms ping, 62Mbps download and 23Mbps upload :cool:) to stream in pretty much full bluray quality - looked amazing compared with how compressed it had to be previously.

Just looking at the TBQM graph it seemed to take a funny turn earlier today though - I was out so didn't notice anything :confused:.
9cfe9af58fd3d835e8e6a130e5052e66-31-08-2013.png

Soldato
Just looking at the TBQM graph it seemed to take a funny turn earlier today though - I was out so didn't notice anything :confused:.

Just looked at the TBQM graph for another connection I manage (on a different exchange a mile away and was enabled years before mine :rolleyes:) and the graph had the same wobble at the same time today.

f84dde1973ceaab8a9e6ff01f0c67275-31-08-2013.png

Something at BT's end methinks!

Soldato
Well it has now been a week since I got it installed. Speeds have remained fine, and the dynamic IP has stayed the same so my TBQM graph works ok.
The BT Speedtest shows my IP profile is set at 57.1Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream, so my speedtest results seem pretty much bang on.

e4bc6b099f4fb70b671302e205f0ab86-30-08-2013.png

The biggest difference in day-to-day activity I've noticed since FTTC being available is FTP'ing. Not just for big files but even loads of little files now fly up compared with how slow it was on ADSL2.
The other biggest difference is for my Media Server setup with remote clients (laptop/iPad when away from home). Previously the media server had to transcode it down to 720Kbps bitrate as the upload speed just couldn't send anything higher out fast enough. Now the server only needs to transcode it down to 20Mbps bitrate (so still a bit down from the native blu-ray rips they're stored in) as it's typically going to be the download speed of the remote client that is the limiting factor not the upload of the server. Last weekend I was able to use my iPhone 5 on LTE (speedtesting at 42ms ping, 62Mbps download and 23Mbps upload :cool:) to stream in pretty much full bluray quality - looked amazing compared with how compressed it had to be previously.

What area are you in because my BB quality monitor is showing exactly the same packet loss at exactly the same time today

Soldato
Have BT always throttled? I got their service last December and i'm sure it was unthrottled.

Now I come back after a long period of traveling and it seems to be throttled most of the day and almost all of the weekend.

Has this always been the case?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Have BT always throttled? I got their service last December and i'm sure it was unthrottled.

Now I come back after a long period of traveling and it seems to be throttled most of the day and almost all of the weekend.

Has this always been the case?

It was throttled in December. They removed the throttling in February. You'll have to re-contract if you want it removed.

Soldato
Woo! BT just massively bought forward the forecast date for my exchange (yes I know!) from Dec 14 to Dec 13.. :D I hope this is a semi-accurate date and they must have plans to start working on my exchange otherwise why would they bring it so far forward (12 months)?! I'm cringing still with Sky's LLU @ 4Mb.

Presumably this just means the exchange should be enabled around this date? And until I see BT doing works to my local green cab barely 50m up the road then I'm allowed to get even more excited? :)

EDIT
Also, me and the missus are planning on buying a new build home approx Q3 2014. Would anyone safely say if the exchange is enabled for FTTC this December then I should have FTTC readily available when we move in next year (9+ months since being enabled for Fibre)? I doubt BT would enable FTTC to the exchange this December then fit a new build street with OLD cabs say next summer for homes ready to move in Q3 2014??

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are no old and new cabinets, a new install will still have a cabinet for voice and another one for FTTC. However chances are that any newly built areas would have fibre pulled in at the same time the copper is put in.

Soldato
There are no old and new cabinets, a new install will still have a cabinet for voice and another one for FTTC. However chances are that any newly built areas would have fibre pulled in at the same time the copper is put in.

So our existing cabs carry voice/DSL and a completely 2nd cab parallel is needed for FTTC to operate? I'm new so just educating myself! :)

I presumed (wrongly) they would want to save footprint space, power consumption etc and just pull the old cab and replace it with a shiny new voice/fibre cab.. :o

Caporegime
So our existing cabs carry voice/DSL and a completely 2nd cab parallel is needed for FTTC to operate? I'm new so just educating myself! :)

I presumed (wrongly) they would want to save footprint space, power consumption etc and just pull the old cab and replace it with a shiny new voice/fibre cab.. :o

Old cabinets are totally passive, they don't need power as it's just where individual lines connect to the multi pairs to the exchange. As far as footprint goes it doesn't really make a difference for BT.

Soldato
So my exchange has fibre "Accepting Orders" at the end of this month, but I can't still only see WBC and ADSL 2+ on this site https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html :/

It probably means that your street hasn't got a fibre cab up. The exchange will be activated, but it doesn't mean you will automatically be able to get it. It'll be a good while yet before you can get it.

My exchange has been enabled for the last few years, but my street isn't (and for the foreseeable future won't be) done. Not an issue since I can get cable, but would still be nice to have more options.

Associate
I have just re-contracted with BT for another year of Infinity option 2. When we first got it we were getting about 55mbps but it dropped to about 50 & has been steady at this rate for over a year.

The BT checker is now saying up to 32.3 max for our line! The BT reps on the options line mentioned this too but I didn't really pay any attention to it & just explained that we actually get much better than that. I'm now worrying that they will try & shaft us on speed - is anyone else getting poor or odd results from the bt checker?

OK, so second BT engineer has just been and found the following:

Only one pair to the house is in good shape, the other pair doesn't test out at all.
The pair from the DP back to the cab was showing 50db, so he swapped for another pair which was showing 70db.

Connected it all up, ran the test again... 50db at the modem. Stumped. BUT, checked out these line details from the modem.

Something tells me I've been shunted down on to Infinity 1, but the line looks to be more capable now he's swapped the pair over. Or is this just something that'll be dropped with DLM?

Thoughts?

untitled_zpsecb675cc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom