• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
hey guys quick question got my 5650 coming monday just wondering should i reset my bios to default or leave it as it is currently gigaabyte x58a-ud3r i7 950 @4.2 also is Cooler Master High Performance Thermal Compound 2g any decent going on a h100i

Associate
Just jumped on the band-wagon and grabbed a 5660 to replace a 950, been toying around with an upgrade that I don't really need so this will scratch that itch for much less money :)

Soldato
That is a good result. It's taken longer because you're both using "max" memory but you've got a lot more memory installed, so the problem size is bigger and it takes longer to solve.

You might actually have used too much and got some swapping because the first loop is quite a bit faster than the rest. You could re-run it with less, maybe 5-8 GB to check.

Peak performance at that clock would be 105 GFLOPS so you want as close to that as poss really.

Thanks for the explanation. I couldnt understand why my other machines were taking longer also :) I'll re-run the test with a smaller amount of memory available to it.

Associate
hey guys just got mine installed all running got it @3.8 dosnt wanna go past that wont boot of i put the blck past 180 think it might be memory its running at 1580 ghz now ive just cleared the cmos and left the turbo function on it now goes to 4.2 should i leave it like this as i cant get it past 4ghz

Soldato
There are my everyday settings now for X5670 @ 4.4GHz

The only issue I have is that the overclock fails at boot so i have to do a double boot for it to continue. The overclock has been stable in every test so far.

photo.jpg

Soldato
hey guys just got mine installed all running got it @3.8 dosnt wanna go past that wont boot of i put the blck past 180 think it might be memory its running at 1580 ghz now ive just cleared the cmos and left the turbo function on it now goes to 4.2 should i leave it like this as i cant get it past 4ghz

Have a look at my settings above.

I'd try a multiplier of 20, BCLK of 200, up the voltage to 1.35 and check that the memory is underclocked initially. I had to up the QPI and IOH also.

Associate
Just noticed this thread Ive an X5650 at 4.6ghz with ht stable and 24 gb of ram

I did have to mod my board to take this chip as i have a first gen board and the later ones shipped with the mod done

My current limit hit is 4.8 with ht turned off (need a bigger psu to go faster)

cpu motherboard under watercooling
x2 pmp 500
x3 gtx black ice gen 2 extreme's 480 rads
x24 120mm fans
x8 delta focused flows 230cfm ones

Last edited:
Associate
dosnt want to boost with 200 block i am not a great overclocker i got 195 and its running fine is it worth all the effort for another 5 running at 3.9 with a 780 gtx would there be a massive increase for 5 ha ? ty for help

Soldato
dosnt want to boost with 200 block i am not a great overclocker i got 195 and its running fine is it worth all the effort for another 5 running at 3.9 with a 780 gtx would there be a massive increase for 5 ha ? ty for help

What are your other voltage settings?

Soldato

Only reason to push higher is to get the max out of your CPU.

3.9ghz will be more than enough to keep you ahead of what a game needs to run.

That's actual CPU utlization on a 8 core CPU. Apparently it can hit 100% on a quad core, so yours should load no higher than around 70%, providing you're gaming.

It will be a very, very long time before an 8 core CPU, let alone a hex cored one is a requirement to a top end gaming experience. This is why your CPU is only just about to come into its own, five years after it was launched.

Associate
Only reason to push higher is to get the max out of your CPU.

3.9ghz will be more than enough to keep you ahead of what a game needs to run.

That's actual CPU utlization on a 8 core CPU. Apparently it can hit 100% on a quad core, so yours should load no higher than around 70%, providing you're gaming.

It will be a very, very long time before an 8 core CPU, let alone a hex cored one is a requirement to a top end gaming experience. This is why your CPU is only just about to come into its own, five years after it was launched.

I play star ruler and its maxes out all 6 cores and the 6 ht threads, ive seen it eat over 12 gb of ram in BIG games

3.9 is not feeding the 780 enough, look at your gpu utilization in games and you will see if your bottle necking

I was getting bottle necks with my dual Titans @ 4.6 before i swapped to tri 290x's hence why i want 4.8 stable.

Arma2 epoch engine needs as much cpu power as you can feed it !!!

Associate
I play star ruler and its maxes out all 6 cores and the 6 ht threads, ive seen it eat over 12 gb of ram in BIG games

3.9 is not feeding the 780 enough, look at your gpu utilization in games and you will see if your bottle necking

I was getting bottle necks with my dual Titans @ 4.6 before i swapped to tri 290x's hence why i want 4.8 stable.

playing bf4
gpu usages 99%
gaming at 2560x1440 dunno if that will effect anything

pc set up

xeon 5650 @3.9
gtx 780
12gb ram

Soldato

I might have to play with Star Ruler.. See what it does with 8 cores.

Thing is, new games are being coded to take the workload away from the CPU totally and leave it all to the GPUs.

You won't need a fast top end CPU for gaming any more, AMD have seen clear of that. That's why they're still knocking out Piledrivers.

Associate
I might have to play with Star Ruler.. See what it does with 8 cores.

Thing is, new games are being coded to take the workload away from the CPU totally and leave it all to the GPUs.

You won't need a fast top end CPU for gaming any more, AMD have seen clear of that. That's why they're still knocking out Piledrivers.

Ive run it on 15 core xeons with 15 ht threads it can load them all ! Its great game for pushing hardware :D and in general

its specs to run tho are tiny until you add a few million planets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ruler

Quote "The size of the in-game universe is only limited by the processing power of the user's computer. Generated systems may have orbiting planets, moons, asteroids, comets, or aggressive, capturable, NPC assets."

playing bf4
gpu usages 99%
gaming at 2560x1440 dunno if that will effect anything

pc set up

xeon 5650 @3.9
gtx 780
12gb ram

your res helps the cpu not have to feed the gpu as much

do you run aa etc ?

also you can use the 23 multi if you lock it to 2 cores.

I hit 4.9 once

Last edited:
Associate
Ive run it on 15 core xeons with 15 ht threads it can load them all ! Its great game for pushing hardware :D and in general

its specs to run tho are tiny until you add a few million planets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ruler

Quote "The size of the in-game universe is only limited by the processing power of the user's computer. Generated systems may have orbiting planets, moons, asteroids, comets, or aggressive, capturable, NPC assets."

your res helps the cpu not have to feed the gpu as much

do you run aa etc ?

also you can use the 23 multi if you lock it to 2 cores.

I hit 4.9 once

think ill just keep it on 3.9 what vcore you think i can go to to keep temp down ?

play bf4 on ultra setting 50fps-70fps + ever better with this hex core :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom