** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Soldato
Yeah, been testing a bit more.........and I think this is a keeper! Need to do a bit more testing over the next week or so though, just to be sure.

One things for definite, it's a very decent looking unit aesthetically, especially on my ergotron arm. Looks very sleek and minimalist and the design and colouring fits my new gaming rig and room very nicely. It's Not garish at all which is what I was worried about being an Acer gaming range monitor.

Quick question regarding refresh rates...

is there a way to AUTOMATICALLY run at a lower refresh rate when just in windows, say 85Hz and then have it boost up to 100Hz when launching a game? I could do this with the original rog swift by setting it to 120Hz in the windows monitor settings, and then in the NV control panel under Manage 3D settings selecting "HIGHEST AVAILABLE" for 'Preferred refresh rate' which made it run at 144Hz when gaming. Doing this doesn't work on this monitor, it just sticks at the Hz setting you apply. Any ideas?

My reason for doing this by the way is purely worry. I have no coil whine at 100Hz, but I see no reason to run a monitor heavily 'overclocked' when just using the desktop. It might stress it out.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, been testing a bit more.........and I think this is a keeper! Need to do a bit more testing over the next week or so though, just to be sure.

One things for definite, it's a very decent looking unit aesthetically, especially on my ergotron arm. Looks very sleek and minimalist and the design and colouring fits my new gaming rig and room very nicely. It's Not garish at all which is what I was worried about being an Acer gaming range monitor.

Quick question regarding refresh rates...

is there a way to AUTOMATICALLY run at a lower refresh rate when just in windows, say 85Hz and then have it boost up to 100Hz when launching a game? I could do this with the original rog swift by setting it to 120Hz in the windows monitor settings, and then in the NV control panel under Manage 3D settings selecting "HIGHEST AVAILABLE" for 'Preferred refresh rate' which made it run at 144Hz when gaming. Doing this doesn't work on this monitor, it just sticks at the Hz setting you apply. Any ideas?

My reason for doing this by the way is purely worry. I have no coil whine at 100Hz, but I see no reason to run a monitor heavily 'overclocked' when just using the desktop. It might stress it out.

I doubt long term use of 100Hz will have any impact at all. Especially since overdrive is normal and not even extreme. its just like those 144Hz monitors imo.
Anyway, setting desktop to 80Hz and games to 100Hz while having "max. Available refresh" in NVidia CP 100% worked on all of mine x34s but that is under my Win 7 Ultimate. Monitor stayes on 100Hz and has active G-Sync while windows feeds it 80Hz signal. You need to run games in full screen as windowed will be still run under desktop resolution obviously. Run full screen game, select 3440x1440 100Hz and you are sorted never need to touch it again.

Associate
I don't want to play the panel lottery returns and merry go round so I think I either keep this one, or just return it and wait for new technology?

I have the same dilemna. The problem is, I've seen some other photos taken from the same distance, lighting etc, and mine is worse than some others that I've seen. It's not terrible, but I can see it during dark scenes in games and especially watching a movie.

Think I'm going to send mine back and wait for new tech tbh, but it's a tough one as the panel is awesome.

Do I really want to stick my 40" monster 4k monitor back on my desk? :(

Associate
My monitor is being collected in the next few days, but still debating whether or not to keep it. This is a good approximation of what I actually see on a dark screen:

Associate
What are your brightness / contrast settings?

Looking at that it looks like your brightness is way too high!?

Do you have a calibrator?

I have an i1 display pro 3, but I don't usually calibrate my PC monitors (projector and TV through a Lumagen video scaler is what I use the meter for).

The photo was taken using the TFT central ICC profile, and I think brightness was around 40.

Soldato
Been doing some further testing with mine. Sorry to report that I can see the scan line issue on the left side of the screen when gaming with Gsync on.

What a ****ing joke.

I really should not have bought this monitor, no idea why I did to be honest. I have another thread open on here about what is classed as "faulty" for a monitor, so I guess it's time to play the merry dance with ocuk with getting them to pay for shipping the return of this ****ing huge lump of a screen.

EDIT - just done some research, and found some interesting things on overclock.net. Some guy has done extensive tests and the scan line issue is related to what Hz overclock you are running in relation the the actual framerate you're getting, or likely to get in in game. In v brief summary and as I understand it - if the panel is clocked at 100Hz and you get roughly 90-100fps in game, you see no scan lines at all. But if you're only getting significantly less than this then the Gsync module has to work 'harder'(??) and you get scan lines. If you set the overclock to 85 and you get within roughly 10fps of this, you will see no scan lines at all.
Another example, if a game is engine locked/limited to 60fps anyway like some are, or it's very demanding and you'll never clear 60fps anyway, simply turn off the overclock on the monitor. No scanlines ever then.

I've done some v brief testing and confirm these findings, but need to test more. In summary, a 'workaround' the issue is to set the monitor Hz overclock at the likely average framerate you will get in given game. Not ideal, but a kind of clumsy fix until the issue may be resolved properly, which I doubt will ever happen. And I suspect that ALL x34's have this issue, it's just that it doesn't always show due to the reasons explained, and let's face it, some people just don't notice things like this, or aren't bothered.

I Need to do more testing and decide whether this is an acceptable 'fix' / sticking plaster for me personally, or just send the ****er back.

Anyway, here's the summary and link below from Overclock...

a1qeTBm.png

http://www.overclock.net/t/1573121/acer-predator-x34-owners-club/370#post_24609304

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an i1 display pro 3, but I don't usually calibrate my PC monitors (projector and TV through a Lumagen video scaler is what I use the meter for).

The photo was taken using the TFT central ICC profile, and I think brightness was around 40.

I would not bother with that profile personally. Monitors are individual.

As for brightness seems a little bit too much. I calibrate mine (X-Rite i1Display Pro) to 120cd/m2 and my brightness setting is on 31.

Seems mad you have a calibrator and have not used it for this monitor!

Associate
I would not bother with that profile personally. Monitors are individual.

As for brightness seems a little bit too much. I calibrate mine (X-Rite i1Display Pro) to 120cd/m2 and my brightness setting is on 31.

Seems mad you have a calibrator and have not used it for this monitor!

Brightness out of the box is set on 60 or 70 I think, any lower than 40 on my panel makes the image look very dull.

Permabanned
Got mine set to 40 and the gamma to 2.5. Looks good still but I dont like to drop the brightness any lower as it starts to look dull. I do like it to pop more so its personal preference more than anything

Soldato
Why is there no option for gamma increments of .1 on this monitor? I agree 2.2 feels slightly washed out, but 2.5 is starting to crush blacks. Why does it jump from 2.2 to 2.5? Why can I not select 2.3 or 2.4? Where is the logic in that!?

Soldato
Could the gamma be adjusted in Nvidia control panel, I know this can be done with amd

Yes you can obviously tweak gamma in the Nv control panel, but it's not a good solution as lots of games override any software solution like this and apply their own gamma ramp. It's therefore much more effective all round and consistent to do it via the monitor at hardware level

I've now stuck with mine at 2.5 and then set black level/ dark boost or whatever it's called, can't remember, to level 1. This gives a really decent result and testing on Lagom.com with the various contrast, gamma and black level tests confirms its good.

Last edited:
Associate
OK strange issue guys
The wife's just called and said my pc screen has started flashing different colors blue .green .black.white etc.
Pc had been off all night
And it just started flashing??
Any thoughtsuggestions
I told her to turn mains off at pc and. On it or and ow it's booting up ..
Any idea what might cause this ??

Back
Top Bottom