** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

I don't see the asus as a premium at all as the X34 has been out for about six months now and has only just dropped in price. The X34 was £990 and more for a long time, the same will happen to the Asus in time.

Last edited:
Damn straight these are 'potentially' the best monitors. They come close, but don't quite make it IMO. The G-sync one is the better of the 2, but only because of a higher refresh rate. I do prefer the I/O and pricing (obviously cos it's cheaper) on the FreeSync monitor, but the G-sync has a HDMi in addition to the one Displayport so that's fine (just use a splitter for more HDMI inputs). I'd prefer 120Hz refresh or more, but that requires the newest Displayport standard to be in use (or was it the upcoming one, I can't remember) on superwide 1440p.

Considering AMD's new GPUs and their presentation I just watched, I think it will be a while yet till we have singular GPUs that can hit the limit on these monitors at these resolutions. Which is among my biggest reasons for not being interested in buying such a monitor right now. It's the same reason I'm fine with using the bogh-standard 1080p60 monitor for now. We just don't have the graphics cards to make the most out of these monitors.

Most of all, there's the obvious thing about the price. This is new and unique tech, so of course it would be expensive. All we can hope is that by the time we have the hardware to power such monitors, they will be much more affordable.

Looking at picking one of these bad boys up but have 1 slight concern..

What kind of performance can I expect from my rig? I play games like R6 siege, bf4, GTA V, The Division. etc. Id idealy like to have at least 60fps with high/highest settings

can anyone advise if they have a similar set up? Thanks

980Ti is great for it. Even the very most demanding games will give you fps in 50-100 range and that's where G-Sync proves to be excellent feature. And of course SLI would eat anything on it at 100Hz. Good luck with 1080p60 you may wait for a while. Original TN 27" Swift has been holding it's price for years. I upgraded from 1200p60 and the difference is huge!

All the folks saying 980ti works well, is that on superwide 1440p resolution, max settings or is it upscaled 1440p? And on what games? I've been checking the new Hitman benchmarks due to yesterdays AMD thing and the 980ti just about manages to get in the 60-100 fps range at regular 1440p (DX11). I'd expect slightly less at superwide 1440p.

Anyhow, from other folks who have tried 1440p/144hz have mentioned that the higher framerate is more beneficial than the higher resolution. Unless you do video-editing or other forms of work, in which case a larger resolution really helps with productivity.

Anyhow, from other folks who have tried 1440p/144hz have mentioned that the higher framerate is more beneficial than the higher resolution. Unless you do video-editing or other forms of work, in which case a larger resolution really helps with productivity.

I'm the other way, gone from 144hz down to 100hz with this monitor but prefer the superwide res than having that extra 44hz.

^^^ Christ, please don't tell me the bleed and IPS glow looks anything like that to the human eye!? I've just ordered one of these x34 monitors today, and that picture has filled me with utter horror!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKXSz4JP_s8

that might be a bit more "realistic" to the human eye.

Just watched your video. Thank Christ that's more like it!!! Looks like some minor bleed in the top corners? Is the camera exaggerating this or does it look like that to your eyes? The IPS glow as you move around, I'm well familiar with and that is 'normal' unfortunately.

Your still photo just above must have been very slow shutter speed and high iso settings, which presents a completely distorted and unrealistic impression.

Are you happy with it? From your video I would say you possibly should be?

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, you'll struggle to find one any better put it that way.

Just watched your video. Thank Christ that's more like it!!! Looks like some minor bleed in the top corners? Is the camera exaggerating this or does it look like that to your eyes? The IPS glow as you move around, I'm well familiar with and that is 'normal' unfortunately.

Your still photo just above must have been very slow shutter speed and high iso settings, which presents a completely distorted and unrealistic impression.

Are you happy with it? From your video I would say you possibly should be?

Yes i would say i am happy with it :) Coming from 1080p up to this is taking a bit of used to (having to move eyes ext). However i just played some World Of Warcraft (do dailys sort out bags and stuff). Must say it looks amazing! Its like being in the game how the monitor wraps around your eyes (Its sort of like a multi monitor setup i guess? ) (Without the borders haha).

I was a bit concerned at first but slight bleed seems normal on them. and its not "that" bad. I guess the first image was my iphone being stupid. The video is much more realistic.

I never sit at the computer in a dark room anyway because i am prone to headaches so its best to avoid that kind of thing. So realistically i wont notice it 99% of the time.

this a a GSYNC pannel. I put it straight up to 100hz and did 100hz in my display properties too. No issues no odd sounds or anything :)

Yes i would say i am happy with it :) Coming from 1080p up to this is taking a bit of used to (having to move eyes ext). However i just played some World Of Warcraft (do dailys sort out bags and stuff). Must say it looks amazing! Its like being in the game how the monitor wraps around your eyes (Its sort of like a multi monitor setup i guess? ) (Without the borders haha).

I was a bit concerned at first but slight bleed seems normal on them. and its not "that" bad. I guess the first image was my iphone being stupid. The video is much more realistic.

I never sit at the computer in a dark room anyway because i am prone to headaches so its best to avoid that kind of thing. So realistically i wont notice it 99% of the time.

this a a GSYNC pannel. I put it straight up to 100hz and did 100hz in my display properties too. No issues no odd sounds or anything :)

Good lad :)

I've got one coming tomorrow now. I can't quite believe I've bought it to be honest as I was going to hold out for the new Asus one. But, given the panel and tech is virtually identical, and the fact I will have it on an ergotron arm I decided I didn't need any big fancy asus stand, and may as well save £100. I also didn't know about the tweakable led mood lighting on the underside of the acer until yesterday, which in my opinion is a real bonus !

Just praying I get a decent panel now, otherwise it's going back and it's a lot of hassle I don't need

Last edited:
Well, mine arrived today and have done a very quick setup and test.

First the good

- No dead or stuck pixels at all. Perfect screen in that regard
- Overclocks to 100Hz with no issue
- Zero coil whine with panel at overclocked 100Hz, tested on white screen etc

Now the bad

- Backlight bleed on a black screen! Top left and right, with the top left being the worst. Like everyone seems to say

The IPS glow isn't too bad, and is as I expected having used IPS before. I'm just not sure what to do now. Was really hoping this backlight bleed wouldn't be as bad to the eye, but it really is bad on a black screen, so any dark games will be bad.

But, the screen - the sheer size and wrap around immersive feel is immense!!! It feels way better than I was anticipating, even coming from a 27" 1440p.

I guess my question is, is there any chance of getting one of these with no backlight bleed??? Or is this LG panle that's used in all these curved 34" IPS screens just as it is? We pay £900 and just lump it?

I don't want to play the panel lottery returns and merry go round so I think I either keep this one, or just return it and wait for new technology?

Last edited:
From what I've read all the curved IPS screens are more susceptible (or it's just more noticeable).

Keep it, enjoy it, then sell it when the mainstream curved OLED screens become available.

Back
Top Bottom