Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

Associate
BIOS is F7, I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit from the latest monthly version on MSDN when i put the pc together.

Temperatures are higher than my old 2500k, don't know if this is expected. I'm using a 212 evo cooler, idle is 27 degrees, i've just run ASUS realbench for 30 minutes and the peak was 83 on one core, 80 on the others.

Associate
Got one of these waiting in my basket.

Has anyone had problems getting it to recognize a Samsung SSD?
I've seen a few posts saying it can be a pain.

(also, if you were buying a Skylake mobo today, would you go for this again?)

Associate
Got one of these waiting in my basket.

Has anyone had problems getting it to recognize a Samsung SSD?
I've seen a few posts saying it can be a pain.

(also, if you were buying a Skylake mobo today, would you go for this again?)

Works a treat no problems at all with a Samsung 850 pro and an evo

Associate
> What is the rest of your spec?

full spec is

i7 6700k
212 evo cooler
Z170X Gaming 7
2 * 8gb Corsair LPX Vengeance PC4-2400
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb
Samsung HD204UI 2tb
Corsair RM750i power supply
Corsair 600T case
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, version 1511

the drives, power supply and case are all from my old 2500k machine, everything else is new.

Associate
Just to say im having minor problems with the onboard sound. In the game im playing it all gies ugly, distorted, messed up.It only happens occasionally and i have to reboot thd pc. Not sure why this happens

Associate
problem for all game?

Its happened 3 times in 3 days so. I had to reboot the computer and it corrected itself and then played all day with no problems

It occurred in Everquest 2 and on teamspeak. I havnt tried any other games tho.

I'm not worried as it didn't re-occur after rebooting. For info I'm using F7 bios and latest sound drivers from Gigabytes website.

Associate
Hi

I got recommended to OCuk forum from a friend of mine, I was going to make a new thread but after seeing this thread i thought i would try here first.
From reading this thread the OP and you guys know a lot about this motherboard so i hope you can help me?
Im having an issue trying to find a overclock setting on this board.

This is my first overclock attempt so im still learning lol.

I have a 6700k and this Z170-X board, i have managed to get an overclock of 4.4ghz (dont want to go any higher for everyday use) @1.305 Volts with xmp enabled on my Ram.
I have tested the overclock and so far seems stable.
Temps are idle 28-32 degrees and upto 65 degrees at load.

So according to the guides and youtube videos i have watched i should enable adaptive mode on the cpu voltage to help the cpu and voltage wind down when my pc is at idle?

The thing is i do not have this option on my motherboard, all i can do is set it to Auto,Manual or input the voltage myself.
Can anyone please help me with setting this option?, or do i not need to do this on Gigabyte motherboards?
Im just trying to get a stable overclock but also keep my temps down as much as possible.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Right then.

If you set the Vcore to 1.35V,

CPU%20Core%20Voltage%20Control_17-35-49_zpsfdpcp4qq.png~original

The voltage remains 1.35V even when Speedstep kicks in and slows the CPU down to 800MHz at idle,

Untitled_zpssnobgrru.png~original

Not everyone wants that, they also want the Vcore to reduce at idle saving heat/power/CPU wear.

Instead.

Set Vcore to Normal,

CPU%20Core%20Voltage%20Control_17-37-19_zpsr7zqdhre.png~original

Then add the extra amount needed to get a stable system.

So in the example above its 1.3V normally, and I have set the DVID to +0.05V (it starts off in negative values so you have to cycle through in positive values)

So when under load its going to add that extra on top of the 1.3V

At idle Speedstep will also work correctly and reduce this value down to under a volt.

--------------------------

Then the other thing called loadline calibration, there are only 3 settings in the BIOS and this can help reduce whats known as vdroop under load, so instead of the CPU getting 1.35V it may end up being roughly 1.345V, setting the LLC to high for example can increase that and stop it dipping under 1.35V when the CPU is under load.

Soldato
Its happened 3 times in 3 days so. I had to reboot the computer and it corrected itself and then played all day with no problems

It occurred in Everquest 2 and on teamspeak. I havnt tried any other games tho.

I'm not worried as it didn't re-occur after rebooting. For info I'm using F7 bios and latest sound drivers from Gigabytes website.

I don't have this issue. Update your bios to F8l

Associate
Right then.

If you set the Vcore to 1.35V,

CPU%20Core%20Voltage%20Control_17-35-49_zpsfdpcp4qq.png~original

The voltage remains 1.35V even when Speedstep kicks in and slows the CPU down to 800MHz at idle,

Untitled_zpssnobgrru.png~original

Not everyone wants that, they also want the Vcore to reduce at idle saving heat/power/CPU wear.

Instead.

Set Vcore to Normal,

CPU%20Core%20Voltage%20Control_17-37-19_zpsr7zqdhre.png~original

Then add the extra amount needed to get a stable system.

So in the example above its 1.3V normally, and I have set the DVID to +0.05V (it starts off in negative values so you have to cycle through in positive values)

So when under load its going to add that extra on top of the 1.3V

At idle Speedstep will also work correctly and reduce this value down to under a volt.

--------------------------

Then the other thing called loadline calibration, there are only 3 settings in the BIOS and this can help reduce whats known as vdroop under load, so instead of the CPU getting 1.35V it may end up being roughly 1.345V, setting the LLC to high for example can increase that and stop it dipping under 1.35V when the CPU is under load.

Strangely my cpu runs hotter in XTU if I'm using the speed step method rather then a set voltage. Is that down to llc? If I set my llc to high my computer won't boot past bios

Back
Top Bottom