Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

Tried both no difference really. Having installed the killer software on the MSI board I had before I would rather not. The driver is enough to have it fully functional.

I've borrowed some RAM, some very expensive and rare RAM.

Corsair Dominator Platinum "Champion" 16GB (4x4GB) 3400MHz
OcUK Product page

DSC_01132_zpsdxkjaj3u.jpg~original

Corsair%203400_zpselpcjbsb.png~original

Setting the XMP increases the base clock to 102MHz and uses a 33.33X multiplier to reach 3400MHz.

The reason for that is this RAM is designed for the X99 Champion, some X99 RAM multipliers suck and so to get around that they use a different multi with an adjustment of the BCLK to reach the target speed.

If you guys were using a 2.1 setup then I think only one of the rear audio ports is the true amplified one.

It should be the one directly under the optical output or "O" in the manual.

Quick question Sutlid please...just been attempting an overclock on the 6700K. Aiming for 4.6 Ghz stable with minimal volts, I would be happy with that.

The DDR4 I am using is this one - here

It is rated to 1.35V but the board seems to give it just 1.2V even on XMP profile. Is it worth/safe manually changing this? One cannot actually change this to 1.35V it is either 1.34V or 1.36V?

Thanks in advance.

Just checked, your right, DRAM Voltage reported as 1.20V and once XMP is selected the Profile DDR Voltage changes to 1.35V.

I manually changed the top one to 1.35V, not sure that will make any difference?

Leave it on auto and let XMP do the settings.

At stock that seems to work fine (XMP works and everything is stable), but as soon as I overclock the CPU (currently @4.6 Ghz 1.36V - passes Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Stress Test & wPrime - Max temp 62C :D -thats Thermal Grizzly/H110i GT/Noctua NFA14PWMx2) I get instability.

EDIT- Might try to relax some of the enhancement settings on the RAM to get it to work with XMP on an OCd CPU.

Last edited:
Enhanced Stability Setting has also caused the memory test to fail in Intel Extreme Tuning but not to the extent that Windows 10 crashed. Might have to forget about XMP and run it at 3000 Mhz instead?

Maybe its the cpu thats unstable somehow.

Maybe the memory controller needs a bump in voltage.

p.S im still learning too and so dont have all the answers.

I know, sorry don't mean to pressurize!

Tried to boot with 3000 Mhz Enhanced Performance settings and the comp failed to boot even to BIOS.

Currently at 1.34V 3000 Mhz Normal profile. If this passes I will try XMP with a voltage increase on memory controller!

EDIT - You were right! Decided (for testing purposes) upping the CPU voltage to 1.40V and ran XMP profile...passed Intel Extreme Tuning, no problems! Now to try get those VCore Volts down!

Last edited:
There might be a setting in the BIOS (guessing here) that will help.

On Z97 there was a thing called Vrin which if set to 2-2.1v helped a lot, I just cant find anything in the Z170 BIOS that matches this setting.

But have asked around.

Or it could be that with Skylake now has this part given up to the motherboard to control, its no longer relevant for overclocking.

There might be a setting in the BIOS (guessing here) that will help.

On Z97 there was a thing called Vrin which if set to 2-2.1v helped a lot, I just cant find anything in the Z170 BIOS that matches this setting.

But have asked around.

Or it could be that with Skylake now has this part given up to the motherboard to control, its no longer relevant for overclocking.

Would be great if I could independently control the VCore on the CPU and the memory controller.

We are stable at 4.6 Ghz @ 1.37V XMP currently...moving on downwards!

Will not POST with enhanced performance on the memory XMP enabled.

Many thanks!

Will give this a go tomorrow!

EDIT - Couldn't wait....went down to 1.36V on the CPU - the least amount of Volts I think it is stable at. Pushed VSA/VCCIO to 1.1V each - failed memory stress test. Increased to 1.2V on each, failed again.

So for now I am stuck on 1.37V on the VCore which seems rock steady @4.6Ghz.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom